RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Do Tires Matter?

Old 06-28-09, 07:26 PM
gr8guy0509
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Tires Matter?

I ve noticed that the 2010 RX and RXh comes with Dunlops, Bridgestone and Michelins.. I ve not had luck with Dunlops.. What is the consensus?. When my car comes in do I ask the dealer to switch if Dunlops are on the car?
Old 06-29-09, 09:55 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8guy0509
I ve noticed that the 2010 RX and RXh comes with Dunlops, Bridgestone and Michelins.. I ve not had luck with Dunlops.. What is the consensus?. When my car comes in do I ask the dealer to switch if Dunlops are on the car?
i'm not 100% sure, but i believe you can request your dealer to swap in a different brand tire. doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 06-29-09, 12:17 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have used Michelins for years (at least 20) and always found them to be outstanding for wear, quietness, and handling. I wont have anything else and in the event I decide to trade you bet'cha my new vehicle will have Michelins or no trade. For me there is NO negotiation on this. Other folks have different opinion and I certainly respect that but I'll rely on my experience with tires. My opinion only. Good luck with the Dealer on switching. You may want to plant the seed now ILO waiting for delivery to be made.
Old 06-29-09, 07:10 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do konw some dealers are willing to swap tires for you. However, I got no luck on this during my purchase in April. Maybe I asked too much $ off from MSRP, so none of dealers would like to do extra favor for me.

Mine are Bridgestone now, but I'd choose Michelin for my preference.

Now, after driving it almost 3K miles in 2 months, I've found these Bridgestone tires are working better than I was expecting.
Old 06-29-09, 10:00 PM
buckse
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have owned the 2000, 2004, 2007, and now a 2010 RX, and I think Michelins have always provided a better ride with less road noise and more even tread wear.

I went to a local tire shop for a replacement set years ago and all they had was the Goodyear's, so I tried them, but after replacing the OEM Michelin's with Goodyear's I was very disappointed. On another model I got some some OEM Goodyears and was again very disappointed with the ride quality and road noise, so I eventually replaced them with Michelins and was much happier.
Old 06-30-09, 04:56 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by gr8guy0509
It's doubtful your dealer will switch the tires for you free if you haven't done the negotiation up front. A friend of mine purchased an RX and he wanted Michelin instead of the brand that came with it. His dealer was not willing to even swap and in fact he was charged $100 a tire but gave him a "discount" to do all 5 tires for $400. I thought that was highway robbery but my friend went for it because he felt that would still be cheaper than to buy 4 new Michelins later on since those Michelins were $200 or more a piece.
Old 06-30-09, 06:08 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPia
It's doubtful your dealer will switch the tires for you free if you haven't done the negotiation up front. A friend of mine purchased an RX and he wanted Michelin instead of the brand that came with it. His dealer was not willing to even swap and in fact he was charged $100 a tire but gave him a "discount" to do all 5 tires for $400. I thought that was highway robbery but my friend went for it because he felt that would still be cheaper than to buy 4 new Michelins later on since those Michelins were $200 or more a piece.
My 450h came with the 19" Michelin's. I had wanted the Bridgestones as there have been some very good reports on them. I did ask early before the car arrived if tire swapping was possible. Because of what's listed on the window sticker (Monroney label) they can't unless size and wheels are also equal due to warranty issues. My car was hotshipped from the port to get it early so not only was it their only h this month, it was the only one in town (Atlanta) for 5 days .

BTW, there are only 4 full size wheels and tires now. Spare is a space saver.
Old 07-01-09, 08:52 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cruiter
..... BTW, there are only 4 full size wheels and tires now. Spare is a space saver.
You are right the 2010 RX spare is a space saver but my friend said he negotiated with the dealer to throw in a full size spare during the price negotiation. Since the wheel well in the trunk for the space saver is shallower than a standard full size wheel well, the cover can't close properly to accommodate a full size tire so he just leaves the full size spare in the garage when he's in town but throws in the full size spare when traveling out of town. It's extra hassle but worth it to him since he's had some bad experience with space savers during couple of his out-of-state trips.
Old 07-01-09, 09:12 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPia
You are right the 2010 RX spare is a space saver but my friend said he negotiated with the dealer to throw in a full size spare during the price negotiation. Since the wheel well in the trunk for the space saver is shallower than a standard full size wheel well, the cover can't close properly to accommodate a full size tire so he just leaves the full size spare in the garage when he's in town but throws in the full size spare when traveling out of town. It's extra hassle but worth it to him since he's had some bad experience with space savers during couple of his out-of-state trips.
I don't get it for the hassle involved. Most people driving a car like this will have an auto club or if the warranty is still in the 1st part (all 2010's are right now), call Lexus.
Old 07-01-09, 09:30 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I don't get it for the hassle involved. Most people driving a car like this will have an auto club or if the warranty is still in the 1st part (all 2010's are right now), call Lexus.
correct, you can always call lexus for help. and you can always buy a can of fix a flat, that would seak any punctures you may have until you get back home to fix it properly.