RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 requires synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-09, 06:18 AM
007Runner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 requires synthetic oil

Since the 2010 model now specifies synthetic oil, is the oil change schedule still every 5000 miles, or has this been extended now?
Old 02-22-09, 02:50 PM
98OysterES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 007Runner
Since the 2010 model now specifies synthetic oil, is the oil change schedule still every 5000 miles, or has this been extended now?
According to the maintenance schedule ... still shows every 5k!
Old 02-22-09, 04:00 PM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

I would think that u could go more then 5K on the oil but then what do I know.
I have used synthetics for over 25 years & have never had a oil related problem running the synthetic oil 1 year between changes with filter changes in between. I put on aprox. 18K/ year.
Old 02-22-09, 05:11 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lucky drawer

Originally Posted by xfirechief
I have used synthetics for over 25 years & have never had a oil related problem running the synthetic oil 1 year between changes with filter changes in between. I put on aprox. 18K/ year.
HOLY SMOKES !!! 18K with a filter change in between... now that's really pressing your luck, but 25 years can't be wrong I guess. Unless you only keep your cars for 36K (2 oil changes)... so who knows what the next owner gets... ha ha.
Old 02-22-09, 05:34 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobile1 has full synthetic oil 5,000 7,500 and 15,000 mile
Old 02-22-09, 05:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

It's conceivable. It depends on a lot of factors, the way you drive, climate, etc.
Old 02-22-09, 05:58 PM
skoh
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure the dealership would like you to come in as often as possible.
My personal synthetic oil change interval is 10,000 miles.
Old 02-22-09, 06:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Is synthetic required or recommended for the '10? Thanks.
Old 02-22-09, 06:27 PM
skoh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Is synthetic required or recommended for the '10? Thanks.
0W-20 is required.
Due to the low viscosity, 0W-20 is generally a synthetic oil.

See attached oil spec from the owner's manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
0w-20.pdf (122.8 KB, 641 views)
Old 02-22-09, 08:14 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

You can't be serious?! if you are...wow! I go nuts everytime I go past 6k miles with no oil change, synthetic or non-synthetic. Have you had any car that went past 200k with this 18k mile oil change interval system you use?
Old 02-23-09, 06:37 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Serious like a heart attack

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
You can't be serious?! if you are...wow! I go nuts everytime I go past 6k miles with no oil change, synthetic or non-synthetic. Have you had any car that went past 200k with this 18k mile oil change interval system you use?
Yes, I am. Way back in the late 70's when I 1st ran across this new stuff that claimed u could go 15K on a change I was very sceptical but went ahead & did it. Then NO ONE was using it so I was one of the 1st in my area. Well, 30 years later all the things they said have come to be true. Now they have a 25K filter along with a 25K oil & many new vehicles come from the factory with synthetic in it. Corvettes, Lexus just to name a few.
I usually get a new vehicle around 80K but I do have one still in the family that has 120K & it has 100% synthetics in it with no problems in the engine or drive train.
I realize it can blow your mind to go past that 6K mark but it works, truckers have used it & go more then 300K on it. Look at the savings to our landfills by not having all that used oil around too. Green is the latest new word so synthetics have helped with that thinking for many years.

Try it, you will love it, but don't start with a vehicle that has run many, many miles on dino, start with a vehicle with less then 12K & watch it go & go & go.
Old 02-23-09, 09:58 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I am. Way back in the late 70's when I 1st ran across this new stuff that claimed u could go 15K on a change I was very sceptical but went ahead & did it. Then NO ONE was using it so I was one of the 1st in my area. Well, 30 years later all the things they said have come to be true. Now they have a 25K filter along with a 25K oil & many new vehicles come from the factory with synthetic in it. Corvettes, Lexus just to name a few.
I usually get a new vehicle around 80K but I do have one still in the family that has 120K & it has 100% synthetics in it with no problems in the engine or drive train.
I realize it can blow your mind to go past that 6K mark but it works, truckers have used it & go more then 300K on it. Look at the savings to our landfills by not having all that used oil around too. Green is the latest new word so synthetics have helped with that thinking for many years.

Try it, you will love it, but don't start with a vehicle that has run many, many miles on dino, start with a vehicle with less then 12K & watch it go & go & go.
Speaking as someone who has driven vehicles the distance you guys are talking about (both gas and diesel/new and older) and having used synethetic oil in farm tractors; I would rather use conventional oil and change it more often than push such limits as you describe. I came to this conclusion after many conversations with a Mobil oil rep. I met in the Mercedes club and by my own experience of twenty years.
Now having said that everyone must do what they are comfortable with, I just would not buy a car with that kind of history. I am very enviromentally conscious and believe preserving a vehicle by practicing good servicing habits saves more resources than pushing oil limits and causing earlier replacement, not to mention more efficiency during operation and better emission results. Again, everyone must do what they are comfortable with.
Old 02-23-09, 10:27 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Synthetics give much longer engine life, better mileage & runs cooler with less friction. What causes wear? Friction. What causes friction? Poor lubrication. Less friction ='s better mileage & longer engine life.
It is a hard decision to make but one that should be made. Back in the late 70's early 80's there was no history with synthetics but now in 2009 we have all the history u need.
My Dad, bless his heart, finally would use this synthetic stuff but still change it after 2500 miles as I was taught to do too but time marches on & we all learn from experience.
So in conclusion, either change that dino fluid every 2 - 3 K adding to our landfill & polution or move to the 21 century & go synthetic & extend your engine life X 3 & MPG by maybe 5% or more.
Old 02-23-09, 10:38 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DNC
Speaking as someone who has driven vehicles the distance you guys are talking about (both gas and diesel/new and older) and having used synethetic oil in farm tractors; I would rather use conventional oil and change it more often than push such limits as you describe. I came to this conclusion after many conversations with a Mobil oil rep. I met in the Mercedes club and by my own experience of twenty years.
Now having said that everyone must do what they are comfortable with, I just would not buy a car with that kind of history. I am very enviromentally conscious and believe preserving a vehicle by practicing good servicing habits saves more resources than pushing oil limits and causing earlier replacement, not to mention more efficiency during operation and better emission results. Again, everyone must do what they are comfortable with.
After rereading my above posting I think I may have given the wrong impression. I do use synethetic oil, Mobil One and Mobil Delvac One. I just do not push it to 10,000 miles between changes. Before doing that it would make more sense for "me" to use conventional oil and change at 3,000 mile intervals. I have come to this conclusion after much thought and extensive experience with many vehciles. This is what works best for my vehicles with the factors they face.
Old 02-23-09, 05:21 PM
skoh
Driver School Candidate

Synthetics give much longer engine life, better mileage & runs cooler with less friction. What causes wear? Friction. What causes friction? Poor lubrication. Less friction ='s better mileage & longer engine life.
It is a hard decision to make but one that should be made. Back in the late 70's early 80's there was no history with synthetics but now in 2009 we have all the history u need.
My Dad, bless his heart, finally would use this synthetic stuff but still change it after 2500 miles as I was taught to do too but time marches on & we all learn from experience.
So in conclusion, either change that dino fluid every 2 - 3 K adding to our landfill & polution or move to the 21 century & go synthetic & extend your engine life X 3 & MPG by maybe 5% or more.
If you are using 0W-20, as the owner's manual specifies, you are likely using a synthetic oil which contains Group III base oil or higher = synthetic.

http://www.gf-5.com/the_story/ingredients/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
0w-20.pdf (122.8 KB, 225 views)

Quick Reply: 2010 requires synthetic oil