RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 requires synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 08:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by skoh
0W-20 is required.
Due to the low viscosity, 0W-20 is generally a synthetic oil.

See attached oil spec from the owner's manual.
Oh no,not 0W-20!!
Old 04-12-09, 08:53 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh ya, they have it all.
Old 04-12-09, 02:58 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
You might not have, because it is technically incorrect.
That is pretty much what I was hinting at.
Old 04-12-09, 03:08 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might not have, because it is technically incorrect. Many people assume that is what it means, but it is not.

in a 5W-30, the oil flows like a 5 weight does, but protects the engine the same way a 30 weight does... the second number is basically the oils "stickiness" and describes how well it clings to engine parts - if using a straight weight oil, the thicker the oil, the better it sticks to bearings and journals, however, with multigrade oils, we try to make the oil flow better, so it comes out thinner, but we still need it to cling to the metals in the engine to protect them...

Similarly, a 0W-20 has an oil flow rate of a 0 weight oil, but the protection of a 20 weight oil...

it has nothing to do with hot or cold, other than the obvious that a 5 weight oil flows better than a 10 weight oil when it is extremely cold out, and a 30 weight oil protects better than a 20 weight oil under extreme high temperatures...

There is only one place this argument about long oil change intervals doesn't hold up... Contaminants. I know you say change the filter, blah blah blah, but what about fuel and water contaminants - oil filters do not separate these. Vehicles that idle a lot or always go on short trips many times don't vaporize the water that has condensed inside the engine, thus contaminating the oil. Similarly, on cold starts, before things are nice and warm, a certain amount of fuel will be washed past the rings and into the oil... Enough cold starts and you have severely contaminated oil. Now, if you go and have some nice long trips, it may burn / vaporize all of that, but that is just one reason why your theory doesn't hold up for everyone. It may work ok for you, but giving that kind of advice to someone who doesn't know there are differences may be bad for their engine in their particular climate / driving style may not be right...
Very well said. Thanks for taking the time to set the record straight. This will fall on deaf ears/eyes with some, but it is spot on correct.
Old 04-12-09, 03:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by xfirechief
If you have never been to WI. it does get hot here in the summer too. Back in 1988 I believe we had 33 days about 90 degrees.

AMSOIL has a 0W - 20 & a 0W-30 too.
And AMSOIL is made in the good old USA. "No Iran in the can."
Many times. Both of my parents are Marquette graduates (when they still had the nickname Warriors).

Amsoil is good oil but I just wish they had sold the stuff when I was living in Mexico, because it was a major customs nightmare to get any lubricant sent down there. I do use their ATF with joy.
Old 04-13-09, 07:20 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Warriors....
Those were the days.
Old 04-21-09, 07:00 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DNC
Speaking as someone who has driven vehicles the distance you guys are talking about (both gas and diesel/new and older) and having used synethetic oil in farm tractors; I would rather use conventional oil and change it more often than push such limits as you describe. I came to this conclusion after many conversations with a Mobil oil rep. I met in the Mercedes club and by my own experience of twenty years.
Now having said that everyone must do what they are comfortable with, I just would not buy a car with that kind of history. I am very enviromentally conscious and believe preserving a vehicle by practicing good servicing habits saves more resources than pushing oil limits and causing earlier replacement, not to mention more efficiency during operation and better emission results. Again, everyone must do what they are comfortable with.
Originally Posted by DNC
After rereading my above posting I think I may have given the wrong impression. I do use synethetic oil, Mobil One and Mobil Delvac One. I just do not push it to 10,000 miles between changes. Before doing that it would make more sense for "me" to use conventional oil and change at 3,000 mile intervals. I have come to this conclusion after much thought and extensive experience with many vehciles. This is what works best for my vehicles with the factors they face.
Well said.

I also believe replacing the oil frequently is always the key factor in parts of the maintenance.
Old 04-21-09, 07:10 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think anybody can find documentation from the oil manufacturers that claims their oil can last XXXXX amount of miles. I like to see a indepenent studies' results, an oil analysis report. Oil will break down sooner or later rather if its dino or sythetic. If you use sythetic and change your oil longer than Toyota's recommandation and have a oil related problem, which is very very unlikely by the way, good luck if you try to get a new power train form the oil manufacturer. The oil company will come up with more excuse than your dealer will
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ance_FAQs.aspx

What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and Mobil 1?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1. (Updated March 2006)

If Mobil 1 Extended Performance is recommended for 15,000-mile intervals, what’s the maximum limit to which it can be pushed? In other words, if a driver goes an extra 1,000 miles or so, is he going to damage his engine?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance is recommended for up to 15,000-mile or one-year oil change intervals. However, if your vehicle manufacturer recommends an oil change interval beyond 15,000 miles and Mobil 1 meets the performance level specified, you can be assured that Mobil 1 will go the distance.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...erformance.asp

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-interval.html
Old 04-21-09, 07:18 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Something interesting!!! Maybe many ppl have seen this one before.

Why change oil @ < BMW interval?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=276707
Old 04-21-09, 07:21 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

...in a 5W-30, the oil flows like a 5 weight does, but protects the engine the same way a 30 weight does... the second number is basically the oils "stickiness" and describes how well it clings to engine parts - if using a straight weight oil, the thicker the oil, the better it sticks to bearings and journals, however, with multigrade oils, we try to make the oil flow better, so it comes out thinner, but we still need it to cling to the metals in the engine to protect them...

Similarly, a 0W-20 has an oil flow rate of a 0 weight oil, but the protection of a 20 weight oil...

it has nothing to do with hot or cold, other than the obvious that a 5 weight oil flows better than a 10 weight oil when it is extremely cold out, and a 30 weight oil protects better than a 20 weight oil under extreme high temperatures...

There is only one place this argument about long oil change intervals doesn't hold up... Contaminants. I know you say change the filter, blah blah blah, but what about fuel and water contaminants - oil filters do not separate these. Vehicles that idle a lot or always go on short trips many times don't vaporize the water that has condensed inside the engine, thus contaminating the oil. Similarly, on cold starts, before things are nice and warm, a certain amount of fuel will be washed past the rings and into the oil... Enough cold starts and you have severely contaminated oil. Now, if you go and have some nice long trips, it may burn / vaporize all of that, but that is just one reason why your theory doesn't hold up for everyone. It may work ok for you, but giving that kind of advice to someone who doesn't know there are differences may be bad for their engine in their particular climate / driving style may not be right...
This is very knowledgeable information. Thank You.
Old 04-21-09, 07:27 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Most synthetic oil will last 15000 miles, its the filters that wont last that long. Most european cars have been using oil filter that are 2 or 3 times the size of Japanese oil filter in order to prolong the oil change interval. Even with the bigger filter, they are still only recommanding 10K change interval.
You're right. Those vehicles have some crazy interval. For example, Porsche may tell their Cayenne V6 owners to do it every 10K, and depend on the usage of the car, or the warning light on the panel.

Dunno about V8 model, I remember the manual seems to "suggest" 20K interval. Crazy one!!! When I heard of this one, I kind of felt dizzy.
Old 04-22-09, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The problem is that owner who drives very few miles per year and still go by the mileage interval. Oil sitting in the pan will contaminate over time.
Old 04-22-09, 12:38 PM
mindmachin
Driver School Candidate

The problem is that owner who drives very few miles per year and still go by the mileage interval. Oil sitting in the pan will contaminate over time.
I have a 05 Porsche Cayenne S V8, the manual calls for 20,000 miles or every 2 years. 0-40W mobil 1 synthetic, and filter. Of course the Porsche engine does hold around 6 quarts of oil as compared to the Lexus 4 qt.

I own a Lexus 08 RX400h and this 5000 miles or 6 months is bull!!!
Sxxx in my book. Oh and I am a mechanical engineer with a background in IC engine development in my companies R & D Lab.

I guess to each his own, but waste is waste and we can't afford as a society to continue to pollute more than is really necessary!!!!!

Old 04-22-09, 12:44 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How big is the Cayenne's oil filter? Most European cars have longer oil change interval due to the larger oil filter. Synthetic oil will last much longer than 5000 miles, but that small filter in the Lexus engine will not. Since Lexus had all those oil sludge problem in the pass, I guess they are just playing it safe and change both at 5000 miles. BTW, is this the 1st Lexus engine that requires synthetic oil?
Old 04-22-09, 03:01 PM
mindmachin
Driver School Candidate

How big is the Cayenne's oil filter? Most European cars have longer oil change interval due to the larger oil filter. Synthetic oil will last much longer than 5000 miles, but that small filter in the Lexus engine will not. Since Lexus had all those oil sludge problem in the pass, I guess they are just playing it safe and change both at 5000 miles. BTW, is this the 1st Lexus engine that requires synthetic oil?
Probably 2.5 times the volume of the Lexus filter. So yes the Cayenne V8 filter is much larger. It is both longer and larger in diameter.

Quick Reply: 2010 requires synthetic oil