RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

What to do.

Old 03-29-19, 08:39 PM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts
Default What to do.

At this point I just don’t know whether I should fix my current daily driver; a 07 rx350 with almost 122,000 on it; or look for something else and trade this one in. Reasons being; it requires too much work and $ imo. One thing is the transfer case is seeping fluid and it’s only a matter of time before it gets worse but the least expensive place I’ve found is still quoting me 1300 to take the case out and reseal it. Next; I now need front rotors and or pads replaced to the tune of 453.31! 3rd i need the spark plugs replaced to the tune of almost 600 bucks!!! What should I do here cause that adds up to a lot of money!!!
Old 03-29-19, 10:34 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Trade it in, unless youre willing to learn how to DIY and at least do the brakes yourself.
Old 03-30-19, 04:20 AM
N4wwt
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s still cheaper than new car payments along with higher insurance payments! Fix these things and then your good for another 100k miles.
The following users liked this post:
matts6887 (04-07-19)
Old 03-30-19, 01:38 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well yes and no. It depends on what brand u are looking at as a replacement and and what model. As for insurance well sometimes that is less instead of more
Old 03-30-19, 07:56 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

For you, get rid of it, even if the car payments and insurance in the long run costs more than fixing these issues, you'll get something newer and more reliable. Get an Acura, Honda, BMW, Benz, Bentley, Lambo, whatever just commit to something.

For me though, I'd fix all of that as brake and spark plugs are not hard, $1300 for a transfer case reseal? I'd could slap in a whole rebuilt case for that much which will last me the life of the car.....
Old 03-31-19, 08:39 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
At this point I just don’t know whether I should fix my current daily driver; a 07 rx350 with almost 122,000 on it; or look for something else and trade this one in. Reasons being; it requires too much work and $ imo. One thing is the transfer case is seeping fluid and it’s only a matter of time before it gets worse but the least expensive place I’ve found is still quoting me 1300 to take the case out and reseal it. Next; I now need front rotors and or pads replaced to the tune of 453.31! 3rd i need the spark plugs replaced to the tune of almost 600 bucks!!! What should I do here cause that adds up to a lot of money!!!
With the information you've provided, I find it difficult to provide you with an accurate assessment of next steps.

Here are a couple of additional questions, that if you have time, will help provide a more tailored response:
  • What is the current 'trade-in' value of your '07 RX350?
  • With $2500.00 being a rough est. of repair cost to your RX350, would the new vehicles total price be more or less?
    • Many times a vehicles value does not increase with repairs, as most buyers would want a vehicle that is close to 'turn-key' (meaning, no additional repairs required)
  • When looking for a replacement, are you looking for a vehicle with warranty?
  • What is your budget? Cash? Financing?
    • These impact more than just monetary points of view. Even though you might pay more, the 'peace of mind' could be worth the cost.
After scanning through some of your older threads, it appears this purchased as been more of a burden, and in your best interest it might be worth while to take the loss and move-on from the brand (Lexus) and model (RX).

Overall, any used vehicle purchase is a gamble and with a multitude of variables, it might be worth building rapport with a local auto group chapter and build some relationships with experienced folks who are familiar with all brands and models of vehicles.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 04-01-19, 02:01 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

It's a reliable car, I would fix everything. If you get a used car, there is no guarantee you won't need fixings. If you get a new car, you are paying for depreciation. Either way it will not "save " you money, even in the long run.

Now if you own a Ford, I would say sell it, but it's a Lexus. if you take care of it, it will last you a long time!
Old 04-01-19, 02:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly he should just trade it in and lease a corolla or Elantra, you can find them for like $160-200 a month with no money down.

For the trade in value, you could possibly walk away with a 3 year lease on a new compact/economy car if you play your cards right. Won’t be as nice, but it’ll be new with a warrantee and all it will cost you is the monthly. I know at trade in, looks matter more than anything else and they won’t knock you for spark plugs being due (probably don’t even know) and it’s unlikely they’ll notice the leak. At every dealer I’ve ever dealt with, they’ve started the car up, done a quick 30 second walk around, and that was it. At most they’ll drive it around the block, but that wouldn’t show a minor leak or spark plugs are do. Sure a lease will need maintence and upkeep, but it may be more in line with what you can afford.

Car is still new enough and has low-ish enough miles that it should bring a respectable trade in value.
Old 04-01-19, 04:59 PM
matts6887
Racer

Well unfortunately for me I won’t be getting anything different as me and my parents just don’t have the funds to finance another vehicle. So for now I have to stick with what I have. I have noted to my dad since he’s the one helping with the loan on this one that it’s imperative that I get at least the brakes done as that’s a safety item. And the fact that if the plugs aren’t done in a reasonable amount of time it can burn out one or more coil packs which will lead to even more $ needed to spend. Hopefully at some point down the road I will have enough funds to get a different vehicle. Oh and the other thing is my credit score is crap. It sucks. And I can’t get approved for anything else because of it sadly
Old 04-01-19, 05:17 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Brakes I suggest you learn about and change yourself, could cost you $80 with decent parts. Plugs is more involved and plenty of people wait, although not ideal. The leak, well that one is what it is.
Old 04-01-19, 06:13 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by RXGS
Brakes I suggest you learn about and change yourself, could cost you $80 with decent parts. Plugs is more involved and plenty of people wait, although not ideal. The leak, well that one is what it is.
no way on the brakes as that’s something I don’t have experience with. Same with the plugs
Old 04-04-19, 05:40 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
no way on the brakes as that’s something I don’t have experience with. Same with the plugs

Then i guess it looks like you're getting a shop to do it. Look for a good independent in your area. From what you tell us(family finances) , you've got two choices: suck it up and get it fixed or drive it into the (soon to be without repairs) ground. good luck.
Old 04-05-19, 09:59 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well I definitely intend on getting it fixed it’s just a ? Of when.
Old 04-05-19, 03:28 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Get a civic
Old 04-05-19, 03:52 PM
matts6887
Racer

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Get a civic
sorry that’s not happening. I am not a car person. I don’t like being down low like that. I like being higher up and being able to see “more”.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to do.