RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replaced Power Steering w/ Ebay Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 01:41 PM
astowell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Power Steering w/ Ebay Pump

I thought it might be helpful to share my experience, since I usually use OEM parts for my Lexus and Toyotas.

So after seeing the prices of a OEM Power Steering pump $286 and having just spent money on OEM Timing belt kit, Water pump, All new belts, Valve cover Gaskets and more but Im sure you get the picture. So I bought a $59 pump with good reviews off Ebay and if could last half the life of a Toyota pump, that would be a great deal.

After installing, I bled it. Started the car and it started making noise. Bled some more with car on and apparently there was a lot more air. After cleaning the overflow of power steering fluid, and refilling the reservoir the air stopped. The pump now would only make the wining sound with turning the wheel, to me this was the noise a pump makes if its bad or going bad. I drove it around a day and noise was still there, so I went to Toyota and bought a new one.

I did not want to take any chances so bled the pump longer with the car off and both wheels off the ground. I had my 9yr old daughter turn the wheels for a bit, until she honked the horn, on "accident" for the 4th time, so I let her go do her home work and I took over. We rotated the wheel about 20 to 30 time before the air had completely stopped. After starting the car the pump made a little noise initially and then that was it. OEM pump is quite and been since.

I compared the pumps before installing and the Toyota pump felt heaver. I also noted Toyota packed the pump with Fluid and the Ebay pump had less.

There is a reason Toyotas pumps are 4 times as much as a no name on Ebay, because it will take 4 times longer, having to install, uninstall, order then pick up and install again. Maybe it was the air in the pump or just a cheap pump. I think it was both and a OEM pump would have done fine the first time..

Thanks..
Aaron

Last edited by astowell; 12-12-18 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 02:42 AM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

As a general rule, when replacing parts on a Lexus, go with the OEM or a high quality reputable aftermarket supplier. The cost savings from using a cheaper no-name part comes at an astronomical cost that can't be quantified short term.

Case in point, if your using a cheap timing belt that costs $20 less than the OE part and it breaks prematurely, you pretty much have to replace or rebuild the engine.

So when you try saving a $20 or a $100 on a cheap inexpensive replacement part, at best it can actually premature fail and cause damage to the engine or drivetrain components.

At worst (if you're using a power steering pump as an example) you lose power steering, which can actually result in loss of control
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (01-07-21)
Old 01-07-21, 08:37 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 867 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by ToledoRX
As a general rule, when replacing parts on a Lexus, go with the OEM or a high quality reputable aftermarket supplier. The cost savings from using a cheaper no-name part comes at an astronomical cost that can't be quantified short term.
I'll 2nd this...
Been burned a few times trying to save money buying fake parts in Denso boxes on EB.

Old 01-10-21, 06:04 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 402 Posts

I went w/ a orielly reman pump Nov '19 as well as a reman alternator Christmas week of '19 w/ no problem....Of course I tested the alternator 3 times before it was installed.....btw, good idea to flush out the old p/s fluid w/ new...... I leary of buying parts like that off E-bay, let alone Amazon.....
The following users liked this post:
Chapp (03-08-21)
Old 01-11-21, 07:30 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

well it only goes to show; sometimes going with oem is better than reman'd parts; but other times; reman'd stuff works just fine. It all depends on the situation etc.
Old 01-11-21, 09:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Always evaluate the seller feedback and reviews from satisfied customers. Now not all reviews are legit so that takes some work as well in believing what is true. It is all about statistics.
Old 01-11-21, 02:29 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 402 Posts

There are places you can go cheap on but parts/assemblies that are a hard/tough or take awhile to replace, I'd go w/ reliably source. Theres got to be a reason why something is cheaper then it really should be as ppl are in business to make money vs give something away. Some remanufactures improve upon the deficiencies of the oem part that has a know problem....