Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 09:41 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump issues

Hi guys. So I replaced my power steering pump in my '99 Sc300. I put the new pump on and this is my fault I didn't bleed it or anything. The pump was making the worst noise and when I turned the wheel even the steering wheel would vibrate at times. It sounded so bad. So backtrack when I removed the old pump I soaked the reservoir in a small bucket of mineral spirits for like 30 minutes. I then used my compressor to blow all the spirits out. I did use an o-ring for the reservoir that I bought on Amazon. It was actually a multi pack that I grabbed. I found an o-ring in the pack that was similar diameter to the old o-ring but the new o-ring looked a little fuller. I did have to use a little force to get the reservoir onto the pump but it did fit. Also I had to use copper crush washers I bought on Amazon. Compared to the original washers these new ones were noticeably thicker. So when I got everything back onto the car and realizing it was so noisy I then jacked the car up and did the bleed technique I saw on some videos for youtube. I fired up the Sc and it was still hella noisy. Then I was looking at everything and noticed the two tubes coming off the banjo bolt area were really in bad shape. They were all cracked so I went to Autozone and got 1/4" fuel line tubing and it fit really good. So after that I bled the system again and fired it up and the same thing. I forgot to mention that I filled the reservoir with this Super Tech Dexron -VI Atf fluid that I got at Walmart. I figured that would work at least for the time being. So I fired her back up and the same thing. Just really noisy. Also the atf fluid turned purple instead of the bright red that it was. It was also super foamy. So I'm asking you guys what do I do now? I'm really bummed because I thought I was doing a good job and didn't think I'd run into any problems. I will say that I haven't looked at the other line thats under the front of the car. I'm assuming that it probably is on it's last legs too. I might order that Drift motion stainless line. So please if anyone has any advice or input I very much would appreciate it. Maybe something I missed? I'm hoping the new pump isn't bad. I got it on Amazon for $80. It only had one review which was positive.
Old 02-25-19, 09:52 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

if your fluid changes color it means you didn't bleed the system well. noise and shaking from power steering means air in the system. watch this video, this is how you bleed the system fully. wheels jacked up, constantly pouring new fluid into the system and turning the wheels back and forth. much easier done with a friend who can watch the fluid level in the reservoir. if you're alone, take your time and don't let it run dry. i know this is an SC400 in the video but it's the same exact thing.

The following users liked this post:
Equalizir (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 11:59 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by oldManTan
if your fluid changes color it means you didn't bleed the system well. noise and shaking from power steering means air in the system. watch this video, this is how you bleed the system fully. wheels jacked up, constantly pouring new fluid into the system and turning the wheels back and forth. much easier done with a friend who can watch the fluid level in the reservoir. if you're alone, take your time and don't let it run dry. i know this is an SC400 in the video but it's the same exact thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cK2elZtgD4
Ok thanks! I'll post back with my results.
Old 02-27-19, 08:42 AM
Equalizir
Driver

So I havent done the bleeding in the above video post yet. I ordered the Drift Motion stainless line so I'll be replacing that line then I plan on opening the reservoir and cleaning the inside of that plus the filter. Hopefully those two things will make a difference. Then I'll bleed the whole system.
Old 02-28-19, 06:35 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

throwing parts at things is never the right way to go but go ahead i guess and good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Equalizir (02-28-19)