RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

new battery, still dead after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 10:15 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default new battery, still dead after sitting

this car sits a lot: in summer it gets used on weekends but in the colder months it may be a week or two between starts. I recently had a new battery installed and a week or two later (with frigid temps) it was dead again. AAA came and jumped it and the battery tested okay (clue #1, I believe). That was last week and again today (more frigid temps) it was completely dead. Now, by "completely dead", I meant the remote will not unlock the doors and turning the ignition results in complete silence. No sooner do I get the jumper cables on the alarm starts beeping and it starts up. I noticed the clock showed 1:00, while it was actually about 12:15 (clue #2?). So I let it run a minute or two and put it in drive and every warning light on the dash came on, while the radio started intermittently went on and off. Even the speedometer was acting erratic. This went on for half a mile or so and then everything was fine, including the clock accurately showing 12:27, and my radio presets all just fine.

Does this tell me anything about my battery cables or ground? I mean, it couldn't have actually been 100% dead if the clock and radio presets came back, right?
Old 12-06-18, 10:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

You need to take it to an auto store who can provide an analysis of your battery and charging system. A new battery should last you a few years, if it is losing the juice quickly, there is something going on. Take it to an auto store or to your favorite shop who can provide a free analysis.
The following users liked this post:
djeddieo (12-06-18)
Old 12-06-18, 11:01 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Were the battery clamps and terminals cleaned when the new battery was installed? That's an easy thing to check first before looking for something more serious.
The following users liked this post:
djeddieo (12-06-18)
Old 12-06-18, 04:11 PM
DavidTB
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I’d wonder if the battery had been sitting on the shelf to long and didn’t have a full charge. Just enough to start it the first couple of times. I sometimes had a problem with my wife’s car, she might only drive it a couple miles 3 times a week. In the winter(mich) it slowly dies. If I put a slow charger on it once a month it’s fine.
Old 12-06-18, 04:51 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

No, no, no. You have parasitic drain. It kills your battery fast. You need to find a guy with multimeter and scope, what does this.
Old 12-06-18, 06:29 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

One area to check is the lamps in the rear cargo area, They have a on and off switch. Under the sliding cover you may not notice that they are on with the car shut. Just a quick check. After that it could be parasitic drain on battery....Please note there is always some, it will never go completely away. You could use a meter with amp settings and hook meter between negative lead on battery and cable (disconnected)….Leave hood up and after 30 minutes see how much drain in amps is happening after turning car off. It should be very small. If the meter reads 1 to 2 amps, that will drain battery fast.
Old 12-07-18, 10:06 AM
djeddieo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidTB
I’d wonder if the battery had been sitting on the shelf to long and didn’t have a full charge. Just enough to start it the first couple of times. I sometimes had a problem with my wife’s car, she might only drive it a couple miles 3 times a week. In the winter(mich) it slowly dies. If I put a slow charger on it once a month it’s fine.
"clue #1" was that AAA tested the battery after the first jump: it came back 100%.

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
No, no, no. You have parasitic drain. It kills your battery fast. You need to find a guy with multimeter and scope, what does this.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by thomas1
One area to check is the lamps in the rear cargo area, They have a on and off switch. Under the sliding cover you may not notice that they are on with the car shut. Just a quick check. After that it could be parasitic drain on battery....Please note there is always some, it will never go completely away. You could use a meter with amp settings and hook meter between negative lead on battery and cable (disconnected)….Leave hood up and after 30 minutes see how much drain in amps is happening after turning car off. It should be very small. If the meter reads 1 to 2 amps, that will drain battery fast.
If it's parasitic drain, how do we account for the fact that the clock comes back on the correct time (after a minute or so) and the radio presets are preserved?

It's at the garage that insalled the AAA battery; I'm hoping they'll figure it out.
Old 12-07-18, 04:56 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Because battery still has residual power enough for low draw devices? There is huge difference between maintaining clock and radio memory and starting engine.
Old 12-07-18, 05:16 PM
ToledoRX
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by djeddieo
this car sits a lot: in summer it gets used on weekends but in the colder months it may be a week or two between starts. I recently had a new battery installed and a week or two later (with frigid temps) it was dead again. AAA came and jumped it and the battery tested okay (clue #1, I believe). That was last week and again today (more frigid temps) it was completely dead. Now, by "completely dead", I meant the remote will not unlock the doors and turning the ignition results in complete silence. No sooner do I get the jumper cables on the alarm starts beeping and it starts up. I noticed the clock showed 1:00, while it was actually about 12:15 (clue #2?). So I let it run a minute or two and put it in drive and every warning light on the dash came on, while the radio started intermittently went on and off. Even the speedometer was acting erratic. This went on for half a mile or so and then everything was fine, including the clock accurately showing 12:27, and my radio presets all just fine.

Does this tell me anything about my battery cables or ground? I mean, it couldn't have actually been 100% dead if the clock and radio presets came back, right?
I would have thought it was bad battery, but since you have the same issue after swapping out for a new battery, I would assume that it's a parasitic drain (from an aftermarket accessory) or you swapped in a bum battery.

If you bought your RX new and didn't add any aftermaket or modifications, it's totally possible that the new battery is defective, especially if it has been sitting around for a few years. Have you checked the electrolyte levels in the new battery?

I had new batteries swapped in about 4 years ago by the Lexus dearlership and within a few years, I had the same issue that you had. I checked the electrolyte level and the battery was practically bone dry. Top it off with new electrolyte fluids ($5-8 at most auto parts store) and have had no issues since.