RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX 330 VSC, Traction Control, Tire Pressure Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 08:12 AM
Mlindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 RX 330 VSC, Traction Control, Tire Pressure Lights

New to this forum but hoping to get lucky and find someone with the same issue. I have my VSC, trac control and tire pressure warning lights on. I've noticed from a little research that this could mean a number of things. I took it in for an oil change and tire rotation. When driving it home all of these lights came on and then turned off after a few minutes. I thought nothing of it. The wife took it the next day and said they came on again. She insisted that the engine light was on as well but when I checked it later it was just the VSC, trac and tire lights. I popped the hood and noticed vacume lines disconnected. hooked them back up and disconnected the battery. Next day all the lights came back on, minus the engine light. After driving for a couple of days I noticed that if the car sat for awhile and you started it, the warning lights would not be on. But when you hit exactly 47 mph the warning lights turn back on. I would pull over and restart the car. Upon restarting the car right away the warning lights would be on, when you hit exactly 22 mph they would turn off until you hit exactly 47 mph and then would come back on and stay on. I must have done this 5 or 6 times over the course of 2 days just to make sure it was staying consistent. I read a lot about the rear wheel sensor possibly going bad so that is my next attack, just haven't had time yet. I was going to look into the brake pedal switch as well. I'm leaning towared the wheel speed sensor since they just had the tires off at the shop. Has anyone experienced similar symtoms or have any advice? It's been a great car for the 7 years we've had it but staring to nickle and dime me recently. Also needs new radiator, headlights and I need to do the timing belt. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-20-18, 04:46 PM
BadDogMax
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to replace the brake light switch 3 times (finally took one apart and cleaned it and put it back together, which has been working great).

Based on my experience, your problem might not be the brake switch. The symptoms of the brake light switch are a little different: When the brake switch goes intermittent, the lights in the dash stay on until you turn off the car. Then they are off when you start the car again, until you touch the brake pedal, or you get a few miles then touch the brake pedal and the intermittent kicks in.

As far as I can tell the brake switch error is caused by a safety feature: there are two redundant switches in the switch housing, and if one doesn't match the other, the dash lights illuminate. Unlikely the switch would trigger an error at one speed, or clear an error while driving another speed if not touching the brake pedal.

My $0.02, worth what you paid for it!