RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Do springs affect body roll?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 11:40 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do springs affect body roll?

Hello all

my 2004 RX330 has 159k miles and is on its original suspension. The suv has a lot of body roll when cornering or changing lanes quickly. It also squats and dives when accelerating/braking. My mechanic has quoted my $850 for replacing all the struts with kyb but using my original springs. My question is whether or not replacing the struts only will fix my issues or do I have to also replace the springs?

I’ve looked into Complete assemblies from companies like Sensen but I’m not finding much info. People say to avoid them but I’ve sen very few people actually use them and report back.

Thanks for for your help
Old 02-09-18, 12:09 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 880 Likes on 663 Posts

Encouraged that your mechanic did not just quote you springs and shocks and leave you shocked
(pun intended) with the high cost. If he could quote you again with the four springs and have him
clarify if he can return them. Ask him to disassemble the struts and measure the springs. If they
are a consistent height then consider reusing them. If one or more have collapsed a bit then go
ahead and replace two or four. Other considerations, how long are you going to keep her and do
you travel light or tend to carry/tow?
The following users liked this post:
coolioe93 (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 12:18 PM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Encouraged that your mechanic did not just quote you springs and shocks and leave you shocked
(pun intended) with the high cost. If he could quote you again with the four springs and have him
clarify if he can return them. Ask him to disassemble the struts and measure the springs. If they
are a consistent height then consider reusing them. If one or more have collapsed a bit then go
ahead and replace two or four. Other considerations, how long are you going to keep her and do
you travel light or tend to carry/tow?
I'll definitely ask him to do that! But honestly, I'm not 100% sure that he will as he's already told me that the springs ONLY affect ride height and don't affect ride quality at all (I have no idea how true that is). I don't care much for ride height and also don't feel like my RX is sagging.

$850 is already at the top end of my budget so if you do think I need new springs to fix the body roll, then I'll probably have to go with the Sensen strut assembly.

I plan on keeping my RX for at least another 5-6 years. I never tow, but I do drive a lot with a mix of city and highway driving. About 18k miles per year.
Old 02-09-18, 12:20 PM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Ride height aside, do you think getting just the KYB struts will fix my body roll and mushy ride?
Old 02-09-18, 01:43 PM
numbafree
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I first got my 05 rx330, 162k miles on it, 2 yrs ago, I couldn't stand the body roll, and the braking.

so I got this for the body roll:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACIN...NSyhHZ&vxp=mtr

and lighter wheels (and smaller), and I am much happier now.

original springs and struts, 188k now on em.

I changed the rear anti sway bar myself. it's pretty straight forward.

good luck.
Old 02-09-18, 07:41 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 298 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by coolioe93
Ride height aside, do you think getting just the KYB struts will fix my body roll and mushy ride?
They should. The purpose of struts and shocks is to reduce (or slow down) quick changes is body position caused by dips in the road or stopping. KYB struts are stiffer than normal and many people can feel the increased roughness.

With only 160K miles on them, the springs should be just fine, unless you have constantly/consistently overloaded the car, towed a trailer with too much tongue weight - stuff like that.
Old 02-10-18, 09:39 AM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Replacing the struts (while keeping the original springs) is the most common remedy for reducing body roll and restoring ride comfort.

Under typical driving conditions your springs will need to be replaced. (Assuming you aren't lugging bricks around in your car )
Old 02-12-18, 08:06 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone for your input. I bought the car pre-owned and haven't done any towing or overloading but I have a suspicion that the previous owner used the RX a lot for towing. (It has a hitch and it was the owner's only car at the time. He also had a boat trailer in his driveway when I bought it from him).

So getting new OEM springs and KYB struts is way out of budget for me. Especially since I would have to pay 300+ to install them. I'm looking at complete strut assemblies now and there are the Sensen's I mentioned above that I can install myself quickly or these ones sets from strut masters. They seem to be higher quality but are right at 1k which is pushing my budget, but doable. Any one knows how good they are?
Old 02-12-18, 08:07 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by numbafree
When I first got my 05 rx330, 162k miles on it, 2 yrs ago, I couldn't stand the body roll, and the braking.

so I got this for the body roll:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RACIN...NSyhHZ&vxp=mtr

and lighter wheels (and smaller), and I am much happier now.

original springs and struts, 188k now on em.

I changed the rear anti sway bar myself. it's pretty straight forward.

good luck.

Thanks for that! I'll look into a sway bar as well!
Old 02-12-18, 03:57 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Put struts on it the springs will be fine . It made a world of difference on mine .
Old 02-13-18, 11:52 AM
numbafree
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When does body roll occur?
Old 02-13-18, 11:41 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry2522
Put struts on it the springs will be fine . It made a world of difference on mine .
^^ This.

9 times outta 10 new struts are all you need to eliminate body roll.

Try this:

While standing outside of the car (with the door open) grab the top of the door jamb and rock the car. If when you stop the car continues to rock (excessively) ~ replace the struts.
Old 02-14-18, 11:32 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

I purchased 4 KYB struts and will change them out myself and a different mechanic friend of mine. I have a harbor freight clamp type spring compressor to help us with the job. This will save me hundreds of dollars over the options I mentioned previously and hopefully will fix my handling issues. I'll update back in a couple of days after I've changed the struts out and done the alignment.
LRX05 (02-14-18)
Old 02-16-18, 09:01 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to update everyone.

I installed led the KYB struts on all 4 corners and my excessive body roll is gone. The RX still has some but no more than what is typical for an RX330. The ride is also dramatically improved, although much stiffer than stock. I can feel so many bumps even on a “flat” road. I don’t mind it at all as it makes the RX feel sportier.

The install all went fine, although I did have a lot of trouble keeping everything aligned when putting the top strut nuts back on. Took me about 9 hours total but I saved hundreds of $$ so I think it was worth it.

Thanks everyone one again for your help and input.
LRX05 (02-16-18)
Old 02-19-18, 07:37 AM
coolioe93
Driver School Candidate

Wanted to give another update. I learned that the alignment shop that aligned my car increased my Tire pressure to 40PSI. I lowered all 4 tires to the recommended 30PSI and I no longer have a very bumpy ride. The struts now ride a lot closer to the stock Lexus struts. Still a little on the stiff side though, which I am happy with.
The following 2 users liked this post by coolioe93:
Lazyj321 (03-11-18), LRX05 (02-19-18)

Quick Reply: Do springs affect body roll?