RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

sensor mass air flow control

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 09:33 AM
wackycathy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sensor mass air flow control

Computer code indicates a bad MAF control sensor. Replacement cost of $300. If the reading is due to bad gas, car drives perfectly fine, can sensor be cleaned and replaced instead of new installed? What about the bad gas? If gas was bad won't it cause the sensor to come on again?

Last edited by wackycathy; 11-06-17 at 09:55 AM. Reason: not completed question.
Old 11-06-17, 10:57 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

So you got a P0101 or P0102? The MAF measures the air flow in the tube between the air filter and the throttle body. So gas will not affect that sensor.

Buy a Denso 197-6020 and install it yourself. List price at Advance auto is $133, and you can find coupons online to make it even cheaper. It is very easy to replace, a 5 min job at most. It is near the air filter box and is held in by two screws and has a connector attached.
The following users liked this post:
wackycathy (11-06-17)
Old 11-06-17, 12:39 PM
wackycathy
Driver School Candidate

Dealer would not tell me the code because he said the tech didn't save after he took off computer. The service dude, not mechanic, told me they would tell me the code tomorrow when I bring back in to fix. But he said probably due to bad gas. My logic says that bad gas should make vehicle run rough and that replacing a sensor and still having bad gas in the tank defeats the replacement of sensor. I have few options since I have a 1400+ mile drive ahead of me in 11 days and where I am at I have no contacts for a decent mechanic, plus I just had it service in home town.I do not want to risk being stuck out in the middle of no where since most of my drive is through underpopulated terrain and my drive is on weekend and I sure as heck don't want to pay for tow. Plus this is a 2007 RX400H and not too many techs like the hybrid out here in New Mexico.
Old 11-06-17, 01:12 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Oh, this is a RX400H. I assumed you had an RX300. The MAF will very likely be a different part number.

Go buy an OBDII code reader, especially with a long trip in front of you. I highly recommend this one if you have an android phone
Amazon Amazon
. Also get the Torque app to be able to read the sensor outputs as well as CEL codes, and be able to reset them if necessary. There is a comparable iphone version of the reader and app, but I have no experience with them.
Old 11-06-17, 01:17 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

If you have bad gas, add a bottle or two of HEET to the tank before you fill up and run the gas tank down to the light coming on prior to refilling.
Amazon Amazon

It is pure isopropyl alcohol and dissolves the water in the gas and allows it to pass through the engine. Do not use drug store alcohol as it contains water. You can also buy the stuff at Advance auto and other parts stores.
Old 11-07-17, 03:32 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I vote for the cleaning, Air Mass Cleaner costs around $15.00 here in the Great White North....
I did it as a maintenance routine as I didn't have any codes, pretty simple DIY.
Be careful, the filament is extremely sensitive, mine was towards a black red due to carbon deposits.
Keep spraying until the color turns to a even red all around.
Worth a try before spending $300.
Old 11-07-17, 06:59 AM
wackycathy
Driver School Candidate

Default Mass air flow control sensor

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE for their responses and help. I will try to find someone to clean first, but the dealer will not do it. Today is my lucky day as the check engine light went off without being reset. I did try the first thing that came to mind and that was taking the fuel cap off and putting back on 20 seconds later. I read somewhere on this site that it may take a few days for the light to go off. I shall wait and see and hope my travels are safe and major problems free.
I did talk to a mechanic in KY, that I use often for this vehicle, and he recommended cleaning the sensor first and said the sensor rarely goes bad, but my car is getting old. Again thanks to all for the help. I will revisit this site often. You are great.