Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

upper radiator hose/TUBE Broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-15, 10:00 AM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper radiator hose/TUBE Broke

Any ideas what I could do other than buying a new radiator or kb welding it?
92 sc400
Where the upper radiator hose slides on the radiator itself broke. Snapped off. Meh stupid plastic...
Still able to put on the hose but its only about 1 -2 1/2 inches..

Last edited by scRuss; 01-21-15 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-21-15, 10:25 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Moved thread.

Unless you were torquing the hose with excessive force, I'd say if the plastic on the radiator broke it's probably not a bad idea to replace it and it seems that is your only option besides kb welding it back on...which wouldn't be the best idea.
Old 01-21-15, 10:29 AM
chason
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with SC400slide. Running your car with no water will burn it up faster than running it without oil. That's one part of the car I would not ghetto-rig. Changing the radiator isn't that difficult (or that expensive)... just do it, for my peace of mind.
Old 01-21-15, 10:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you can put the hose on then what is the problem?
if it breaks more just replace the radiator that top part is a plastic end tank designed to crack when it overheats so the motor or radiator doesn't crack/explode. where you have broken it though doesn't sound due to heat but probably leaned on it or something. if you can get the hose on and clamp it I would guess its fine, I mean the clamp is pretty thin. If it won't hold you will know in about 15 minutes after turning it on, and if it doesn't then just replace it.
I mean don't put it on and then take a road trip without checking it.. lol. make sure its working let it heat up in the driveway.

JBweld does not hold on the plastic end tank, but one time I did make it 10 miles on the highway back home after it was overheating by JB welding it, but it lasted like literally 5-10 minutes just enough to keep me from blowing the headgasket on the way back home. really, should have just had it towed.

I would not JB weld something thats going in the hose, likely it will just break again and end up in the motor, and that is not worth the hassle think of your waterpump having plastic fly past it that can make it sieze and then it will throw the timing belt all of this is much worse than replacing a radiator or seeing if it works with no JB weld.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-21-15 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-21-15, 03:38 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Moved thread.

Unless you were torquing the hose with excessive force, I'd say if the plastic on the radiator broke it's probably not a bad idea to replace it and it seems that is your only option besides kb welding it back on...which wouldn't be the best idea.
Everything in this engine compartment thats plastic is falling apart lol. I did over torque it to be honest. Jeez I've had the worse luck with this car haha
Old 01-21-15, 03:42 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if you can put the hose on then what is the problem?
if it breaks more just replace the radiator that top part is a plastic end tank designed to crack when it overheats so the motor or radiator doesn't crack/explode. where you have broken it though doesn't sound due to heat but probably leaned on it or something. if you can get the hose on and clamp it I would guess its fine, I mean the clamp is pretty thin. If it won't hold you will know in about 15 minutes after turning it on, and if it doesn't then just replace it.
I mean don't put it on and then take a road trip without checking it.. lol. make sure its working let it heat up in the driveway.

JBweld does not hold on the plastic end tank, but one time I did make it 10 miles on the highway back home after it was overheating by JB welding it, but it lasted like literally 5-10 minutes just enough to keep me from blowing the headgasket on the way back home. really, should have just had it towed.

I would not JB weld something thats going in the hose, likely it will just break again and end up in the motor, and that is not worth the hassle think of your waterpump having plastic fly past it that can make it sieze and then it will throw the timing belt all of this is much worse than replacing a radiator or seeing if it works with no JB weld.

I agree for the most part of what you are saying. I drove it too work and back with no problems. I would Never kb weld that lol
its my secondary vehicle and Most of its life with me has been under a cover in my driveway. It is Not my DD.
Old 01-23-15, 03:03 PM
scRuss
Driver School Candidate

Will be replacing my radiator tonight. Its leaking and cracking

👍