RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

coolant bypass hose - how to get to it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-17, 04:41 PM
jnew911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default coolant bypass hose - how to get to it?

At least I think it is called the coolant bypass hose. So, I just replaced the water pump on my 2008 lexus RX350 with 208k miles. The water pump started making a lot of noise. Knocking noise when the vehicle was put in gear and chirping noise when the AC was on. The water pump replacement was not for the faint of heart. Very limited space made it a very tough job. Noises all gone now but I have a coolant leak.
When I took the coolant bypass hose off, I definitely tore it up some. I knew I should replace the hose but the location of the hose and the difficulty of even getting the clamp on and off lead to me just putting it all back together and praying it didn't leak. Well, it is leaking and now I am trying to find out how to replace this coolant bypass hose. I will probably just start taking off parts until I can hopefully reach the top of the hose and then cut off the damaged section. I haven't been able to find anything on the web or this forum about anyone accessing or replacing this hose. If anyone out there has replaced this hose I would love to know what all you had to take off to get to it.
I have attached a pic and #14 is the hose I am talking about. They call it a water bypass hose. It is behind the thermostat housing and sticking out from under the intake manifold on top passenger side of the engine.
Attached Thumbnails coolant bypass hose - how to get to it?-8913057.gif  
Old 04-05-22, 12:56 PM
tmay12000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by jnew911
At least I think it is called the coolant bypass hose. So, I just replaced the water pump on my 2008 lexus RX350 with 208k miles. The water pump started making a lot of noise. Knocking noise when the vehicle was put in gear and chirping noise when the AC was on. The water pump replacement was not for the faint of heart. Very limited space made it a very tough job. Noises all gone now but I have a coolant leak.
When I took the coolant bypass hose off, I definitely tore it up some. I knew I should replace the hose but the location of the hose and the difficulty of even getting the clamp on and off lead to me just putting it all back together and praying it didn't leak. Well, it is leaking and now I am trying to find out how to replace this coolant bypass hose. I will probably just start taking off parts until I can hopefully reach the top of the hose and then cut off the damaged section. I haven't been able to find anything on the web or this forum about anyone accessing or replacing this hose. If anyone out there has replaced this hose I would love to know what all you had to take off to get to it.
I have attached a pic and #14 is the hose I am talking about. They call it a water bypass hose. It is behind the thermostat housing and sticking out from under the intake manifold on top passenger side of the engine.

I have this exact problem, any advice on getting to the lower clamp?
Old 04-05-22, 01:43 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts

Wow, I haven't done it with engine in the car (a different story), but looking at the pic of the front of the engine, I think y'all would have a chance if you can remove the right side engine mount.

Old 04-05-22, 10:43 PM
Ssijosh
10th Gear

I just had my water pump replaced ( didn’t tackle that myself) and interesting I too ended up with a leak at the same place . For me it was just an o ring . It was a ***** to get at though! A lot of manipulation of room to work with etc. 4 hours in and out to replace a 50 cent o ring . I recommend pressure testing the coolant system before putting it all back together. You want that ring to be tight but also sit a bit proud.
Old 04-05-22, 10:55 PM
Ssijosh
10th Gear

ratcheting wrenches helped . I remember wishing I had smaller hands lol .
Old 05-20-23, 07:45 PM
HobieMarty
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I am having a similar issue but mine seems to be leaking at both ends of the pipe that is #17 in that diagram, or at least I think that is what it is. Does anyone have any information on how to get to this pipe? I have already removed the upper intake, need to remove the lower intake but don't really know how to do it yet. Fuel rails, injectors, never messed with that stuff before.