RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

High mileage maintenance/repairs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-17, 04:36 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts
Default High mileage maintenance/repairs?

My wife's 2007 RX350, which we bought new, has 142k miles, and we have been planning on replacing it this year before its 11th birthday. However, the likely replacements (Audi Q7, Lexus GX) are pretty pricey and we're not sure we want to spend the money. So now we're tossing around the idea of keeping it a while longer. What should we expect in the 150-200k mileage range? Here's what's been done recently

Oil changes every 10k (Amsoil Signature)
Both air filters
All fluids (coolant, trans, brake) changed within the past 2 years
Rear brakes recently replaced for the third time, fronts due soon
Tires are new
Trans cooler replaced due to leak

All the plugs and coilpacks were replaced a few years ago when two of the coils on the rear bank failed. I have the oil cooler line in a box in the garage, didn't change it because I couldn't get the fasteners off the old one. If we keep the car, I'll probably have the mechanic do the next oil change (I've done all the others up to this point) and put it on at that point. The PCM failed three times under warranty (original or extended), but hasn't given us any issues the past 7-8 years. Climate control occasionally (once every 1-2 months or so) doesn't work upon startup, just has to be turned off/on.

What else should I expect, or do preventatively, if we were going to keep it another 4-5 years and to 200k?
Old 05-07-17, 05:05 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Appears as you have maintained the vehicle really well , just keep up your maintenance, obviously some parts may fail eventually, which is something difficult to predict & unfortunately we all have to live with.
As long as the undercarriage isn't rotting out, you should be fine.
Better to keep the vehicle if your pleased with it to present than having to deal with the burden of heavy monthly payments.
Old 05-07-17, 07:16 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
My wife's 2007 RX350, which we bought new, has 142k miles, and we have been planning on replacing it this year before its 11th birthday. However, the likely replacements (Audi Q7, Lexus GX) are pretty pricey and we're not sure we want to spend the money. So now we're tossing around the idea of keeping it a while longer. What should we expect in the 150-200k mileage range? Here's what's been done recently

Oil changes every 10k (Amsoil Signature)
Both air filters
All fluids (coolant, trans, brake) changed within the past 2 years
Rear brakes recently replaced for the third time, fronts due soon
Tires are new
Trans cooler replaced due to leak

All the plugs and coilpacks were replaced a few years ago when two of the coils on the rear bank failed. I have the oil cooler line in a box in the garage, didn't change it because I couldn't get the fasteners off the old one. If we keep the car, I'll probably have the mechanic do the next oil change (I've done all the others up to this point) and put it on at that point. The PCM failed three times under warranty (original or extended), but hasn't given us any issues the past 7-8 years. Climate control occasionally (once every 1-2 months or so) doesn't work upon startup, just has to be turned off/on.

What else should I expect, or do preventatively, if we were going to keep it another 4-5 years and to 200k?
NIce job on taking it that far. I'd have the oil cooler line done, particularly with the miles you have, the lines must be hard and worn. Water pumps are notorious for going on these so if it hasn't been done, consider it, listen for bearing groan on it (tell tail that its going out), and ask your mechanic for a quote when you have them do the oil cooler. An easy thing to do is also replace the radiator cap. There are many cases of them failing too and subsequent coolant loss. Trans cooler failure is usually from rock impacts. To prevent that from occurring, most here including myself use gutter guard material to cover the hole on the front drivers side near (and shaped like) fog lamp there. Look there and you'll see an open fog lamp shaped hole, look inside and you will see trans cooler and condenser. Just out of curiosity, what is your RX's country of origin? First letter of VIN will be 2 for Canada, J for Japan.
Old 05-07-17, 07:26 AM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

From a financial perspective, even if you spend a couple grand each year on maintaining the RX, you're still coming out far, far ahead of spending $50k+ on a new car.

That said, the RX is very reliable and odds are you'll have very few things come up in the next 50k miles out of the ordinary maintenance. I'm 100% for keeping it - unless there's a real pressing reason you need something new.
Old 05-08-17, 03:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Just out of curiosity, what is your RX's country of origin? First letter of VIN will be 2 for Canada, J for Japan.
It's Canadian. Surprisingly enough, the oil cooler lines are not hard. They're not supple like new rubber by any means, but they also don't resemble iron pipe like I've seen in the past Good call on the radiator cap, I'll pick one up when I get a chance.

Originally Posted by danthedj
That said, the RX is very reliable and odds are you'll have very few things come up in the next 50k miles out of the ordinary maintenance. I'm 100% for keeping it - unless there's a real pressing reason you need something new.
Yeah there's no pressing need. There are two things driving us to look: 1) We tend to keep cars 10-12 years, and we're right in that window now. 2) The seats are quite uncomfortable for tall people, and we're 6'4" 6'1", 5'11", and 5'3" (that's the 9-year-old). But we've put up with it for a decade, so... Not worried about monthly payments as we'd likely pay cash, but still not sure we want to spend the money.

Last edited by geko29; 05-08-17 at 03:16 AM.
Old 05-08-17, 04:14 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Not worried about monthly payments as we'd likely pay cash, but still not sure we want to spend the money.
The odds are better than average you will receive a excellent return for the RX if sold privately since you maintained the vehicle well.
For cash purchases you should receive a excellent discount from a dealer if you purchase a new vehicle at the right time of the year.
That said, keep the vehicle until the time comes for a deal you can not refuse.
Old 05-08-17, 05:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
The odds are better than average you will receive a excellent return for the RX if sold privately since you maintained the vehicle well.
I'm not so sure about the resale. It's in good shape mechanically, but doesn't look so hot. There are dozens (not quite a hundred, but close) of small rust spots around the grille, on the tailgate, the edges of the doors and the hatch opening, plus two larger ones on the roof just above the windshield. The factory paint job was atrocious, one of the worst I've ever seen, and started chipping all over (irrespective of susceptibility to road debris) within the first two years. I suspect I'll need to trade it.
Old 05-08-17, 07:25 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

I'm not so sure about the resale. It's in good shape mechanically, but doesn't look so hot. There are dozens (not quite a hundred, but close) of small rust spots around the grille, on the tailgate, the edges of the doors and the hatch opening, plus two larger ones on the roof just above the windshield. The factory paint job was atrocious, one of the worst I've ever seen, and started chipping all over (irrespective of susceptibility to road debris) within the first two years. I suspect I'll need to trade it.
You can always hope for a buyer with real dark sunglasses to show up.
Is the RX painted Crystal Pearl White? ....
I equally have rust spots, although only small ones 1- on the roof, 1- wheel-well area & 1- near the tailgate handle.
Then again, the previous owner(s) were terrible for maintenance as I am still trying to catch up in that department. Your vehicle would be a dream come true for some.
I knew there would be several repair expenses when I purchased the 05 RX330 AWD from a dealer "as is" for $2,400.
Pleased with the purchase, nothing major in repairs ($$$$) needed to be done, only an investment on the lighter side required.
Old 05-08-17, 07:34 AM
numbafree
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 05 with 164k on it, last Feb 2016, now 181k. The transmission fluid, thermostat and coolant was changed out just before I bought it. So all I've had to do was change out the the engine oil at regular intervals, transfer case and rear diff when I first got it, and then 1k miles ago (redline so it was fine), and I changed out the power steering fluid when I first got it. It's been flawless. I hope to drive the crap out of it above 200k miles.
Old 05-08-17, 08:09 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

You can always hope for a buyer with real dark sunglasses to show up.
Is the RX painted Crystal Pearl White? ....
Yep, I take it that's relatively common for the color?

I knew there would be several repair expenses when I purchased the 05 RX330 AWD from a dealer "as is" for $2,400.
Pleased with the purchase, nothing major in repairs ($$$$) needed to be done, only an investment on the lighter side required.
Oh wow, that's a hell of a bargain. At that price if the engine even cranks you got a deal.
Old 05-08-17, 08:10 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by numbafree
I bought my 05 with 164k on it, last Feb 2016, now 181k. The transmission fluid, thermostat and coolant was changed out just before I bought it. So all I've had to do was change out the the engine oil at regular intervals, transfer case and rear diff when I first got it, and then 1k miles ago (redline so it was fine), and I changed out the power steering fluid when I first got it. It's been flawless. I hope to drive the crap out of it above 200k miles.
Why are you changing the Transfer Case and Diff fluid every 15k miles? I don't subscribe to the whole "lifetime fluids" nonsense, but that seems like extreme overkill.
Old 05-08-17, 09:25 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Oh wow, that's a hell of a bargain. At that price if the engine even cranks you got a deal.
The used car salesman answered with "I do not know" for too many mechanical questions, as, was the Timing Belt done? vehicle had 137,000 miles on the clock....
hence, increasing my bargaining power for every "I do not know".
I suppose the sales manager wanted me the hell out of there ASAP & approved my offer.
I did have to get the Timing Belt & related parts done, the Timing Belt was cracked edge to edge in at least 50 places.
Old 05-30-17, 06:20 PM
jnew911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to give you an idea. My 2008 RX350 has 208k miles on it. My water pump just went out and I changed it myself for cost of parts $300. This also included replacing two idler pulleys and the serpentine belt. I would consider having the water pump done and these pulleys replaced because it could cause you some problems if you took the car on a long trip and one of these things failed. Water pump usually gives you some warning but when it warns you by making noise and weeping, you need to replace it right away or you could damage the engine. I would expect to pay at least $800 to have a shop do this. Mine actually starting making noise while visiting relatives 200 miles from home. Drove back home and replace it a week later.
All of my wheel bearings have been replaced gone bad and been replaced. This is something that gives you some warning by making noise and doesn't have to be replaced immediately but should be replace soon after you start hearing the noise. I replace them by buying the entire hub assembly and replace them myself because it is an easy job. $150 per wheel.
Other than that, no other major repairs for me so far! Knock on wood