RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Timing cover

Old 04-24-17, 10:52 AM
maldoja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing cover

Hello, I'm just in shocked that I took my RX350 for a oil change and they are telling me that the timimg cover is leaking and it will be $2700.00 to fix it. Never had a problem with this vehicle and just out of no where this just happened? Any advice?
Old 04-24-17, 11:47 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Its a known problem and there's a tsib for it. They charge that because it requires dropping the front subframe, engine and trans to reseal. Call corporate and see if they can offer any help off of the labor. Ask for a quote from your local indy and Toyota. You could always try a bottle of Lucas oil stop leak, but of course it's best to fix it. These always leak in the same place and usually only just a little bit, but monitor it. Oil grades can help diminish it too, such as using 10w30 (thicker oil), and definitely start using "High Mileage Oil". Which has modifiers in it to help re soften hard and brittle seal material.
Best thing to do though is call corporate, ask for help, and prep for some other major service while the engine is dropped, water pump, spark plugs, etc.
Old 04-24-17, 05:44 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

My lexus dealer also recently told me I have front timing cover leak that needs to be resealed on my 2007 rx350. They also told me my brake fluid needs to be changed since it is dark and dirty also my PS fluid which they stated is dark and dirty. Both fluids were recently changed and are clean like new. I would try to get a second opinion before doing anything. My oil level has been the same and the motor does not use a drop of oil. As far the tsib i could not find one?
Old 04-24-17, 05:57 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=137267

Very common. If you check on the forums, even the 3rd and 4th gen guys sometimes have the problem. It doesn't lose much oil, but it can worsen at any time and blow out the seal more as the oil is under pressure and very hot. The FIPG used, while failing is really tough stuff though so it takes time. Try High Milage oil. Over time, it will soften the seals and can even close them up.
Old 04-24-17, 05:59 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Prior link may not be working, here's an attachment of the TSIB for timing cover leak, just in case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
timing cover leak.pdf (149.3 KB, 543 views)
Old 04-24-17, 06:35 PM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

has toyota lost its ability to have few oil leaks?
Is this one a design error?
expensive
Old 04-24-17, 06:49 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Prior link may not be working, here's an attachment of the TSIB for timing cover leak, just in case.
Sorry but link still didnt open
Old 04-24-17, 07:14 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350rx
Sorry but link still didnt open
Ok, apologies I'm having problems with my software looks like. Here's what you can do and this way you can see all your models TSIBs. Go to this website: www.revbase.com/bbbmotor
Enter your make, model and year. All the TSIBs will come up. For ours (mines also 07) click on "gasoline engines" 10 tsib will come up. Select timing cover leak, 2nd from the top.
For some reason the site does not like to be linked or saved and transmitted, but it is a safe site that lists all TSIB from many manufacturers and a great tool.
Old 04-24-17, 07:37 PM
350rx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Ok, apologies I'm having problems with my software looks like. Here's what you can do and this way you can see all your models TSIBs. Go to this website: www.revbase.com/bbbmotor
Enter your make, model and year. All the TSIBs will come up. For ours (mines also 07) click on "gasoline engines" 10 tsib will come up. Select timing cover leak, 2nd from the top.
For some reason the site does not like to be linked or saved and transmitted, but it is a safe site that lists all TSIB from many manufacturers and a great tool.
Thanks, Looks like This warranty is in effect for 72 months or 70,000 miles from date of first use. I have already called Lexus corporate for the oil cooler hose, which they refused to repair/reimburse even after speaking with a case manager supervisor for Lexus, so i doubt they will do anything for this. Look like i will have to keep an eye on the oil.
Old 04-24-17, 08:12 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edwardh11
has toyota lost its ability to have few oil leaks?
Is this one a design error?
expensive
Exactly, design error. Happens frequently and always at the same place on bank 1 where the bottom end meets the head. There's a small indentation there where the FIPG isn't quite as thick as it should be and over time it can wear away. Every model (camry, rav4, highlander, es, on and on) that uses the 2gr-fe (transverse mounted version) can be affected. My advice is to run Mobil 1 or Valvoline High Mileage full synthetic 5w-30 oil. High Mileage version has modifiers that help soften and even swell the seals in the engine, and it does work. 2gr-fe has a few minor issues like this but be happy to have it as it is one of the best NA engines Toyota has ever made. Its been in production for over ten years and used in millions of vehicles. Lotus who concentrate on power to weight ratios and performance oriented machines use it in their Evora.
Old 04-24-17, 08:29 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts

My mechanic told me the same time about the seepage 2 years ago and I've been using Mobil 1 5 or 10-30W high mileage oil since then. Seems to be working and I don't see any additional seepage or any oil drip anywhere. He told me not to worry about it and he will take care of it when it is time for spark plug replacements along with replacing the 3 rear ignition coils.
Old 04-25-17, 05:37 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexsc4
My mechanic told me the same time about the seepage 2 years ago and I've been using Mobil 1 5 or 10-30W high mileage oil since then. Seems to be working and I don't see any additional seepage or any oil drip anywhere. He told me not to worry about it and he will take care of it when it is time for spark plug replacements along with replacing the 3 rear ignition coils.
It can be resealed from the outside by cleaning the area and reapplying some fipg. Otherwise to remove timing cover, you have to first take off most all of the accessory drive pulleys and parts. I suspect mine was done that way as it does not leak and I can see other areas on mine and it's history that were cleverly taken care of by prior owners dealer. For example I can see that my headlamps were separated and resealed as the new gasket material is visible at top. Wish I lived closer to that dealership as there is no way in hell my current dealer would do that. They are very nice and clean, but only replace and charge.