RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

replacing alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 04:39 PM
ebear695
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing alternator

after searching hours for a video or instructions on how to replace the alternator on an 05 RX330, 3.3 VVTi, I found lots about similar cars but nothing specific to the RX. I finally called my Lexus indie shop 1000 miles away. Steve of Luxurymotorworks in Monrovia, Ca. did not hesitate to explain what needed to be done. Actually I was able to get the alternator loose in the engine bay, but removing it from its pocket is impossible! but to get to that point i'll explain how I backed myself into the corner. This model has three nut/bolts holding the unit on. One 14mm pivot on the inboard side of the unit, a 12mm lock nut and a 12mm adjusting bolt. Loosen the 14mm and the 12mm, then back out the 12mm adjuster until the belt is loose enough to remove from the pulley. Then remover the other two bolts. the Alternator will be loose. I found it near impossible to access the 12mm pivot bolt from the top, I removed the lower panel under the front of the car to access this area like you would to get to the oil filter. OOPS! first disconnect the neg side of the battery, remove the control plug to the alternator and unbolt the single elec wire.

With the alternator loose in the engine bay all the videos say, remove the alternator. HA! square peg, round hole. NOPE, not going to happen! not enough room with AC hoses and timing belt covers in the way. S.o,s. to Steve!

You need to remove the fan shroud! How? remove upper radiator cover(plastic rivets), remove metal cross member and T that holds the hood latch (five or so 10mm bolts), disconnect the electrical plug from the interior side of the fan shroud that wires horns, sensor and pull it from the clips that hold it to the cross member. disconnect the rubber tube from the radiator filler neck that goes to the overflow tank. be very careful not to break off the nipple the tube connects to (professional mechanics insight) you will also need to remove some air intake tube that connect with the air box. The fan shroud is held in place on the radiator by four bolts, two up top and two on the bottom 10mm. You'll need to remove the lower front panel for this, but you'll have already removed it. To access the driver side bolt you'll need to disconnect two 10mm bolts on brackets that hold steel hoses that will be in the way. You should be able to remove the shroud out from behind the radiator, no need to remove the radiator, might have to disconnect the upper radiator hose (I already had it disconnect, will lose a couple of oz of fluid).

At this point the alternator nearly fell out, you can tilt the radiator forward a little to help with the removal. Now if you did not loosen the alternator from the engine already.....it's much easier to do this now with the extra room.

Install new/rebuilt alternator, adjust tension, reassemble the fan assembly!

After install and reconnecting the battery, you will have to reprogram the windows and other items. Don't know if I missed anything cause I'm still waiting for the part to be delivered, so anyone see something I missed chime in!