RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Advice on a used RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 09:59 AM
plainview
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice on a used RX

Hey all. Have used this site before but don't think I've ever posted. I was wondering what advice I could get on the purchase of a used RX as I am considering getting one. Have been looking at 330/350. I currently have a 07 ES 350 that I recently bought that only had 26k. Also just sold an es 330 that was my first Lexus that I bought a few years ago. Since then I have become a huge fan of Lexus vehicles. I've read through some threads already and just wanted to see if there were some really obvious details to consider. I appreciate anyone's time to respond.
Old 10-26-15, 07:20 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

My 05 RX330 gave me the most trouble out of 4 lexus vehicles I owned (2 ES, RX and LS). My service adviser told me that 3rd generation RX is much better. RX is a very practical vehicle, I am just not happy with 2nd gen build quality. Too many rattles, cracks and leaks for a $50k Toyota. To be fair, I got spoiled by toyota/lexus and I am not comparing with any other car, not even Honda.
Old 10-26-15, 07:30 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusfan05
My 05 RX330 gave me the most trouble out of 4 lexus vehicles I owned (2 ES, RX and LS). My service adviser told me that 3rd generation RX is much better. RX is a very practical vehicle, I am just not happy with 2nd gen build quality. Too many rattles, cracks and leaks for a $50k Toyota. To be fair, I got spoiled by toyota/lexus and I am not comparing with any other car, not even Honda.
Thanks for the info. Though it's disappointing to hear. I too have been spoiled by the Lexus brand and that's why I was looking for a nice used RX. Unfortunately I'm buying this as a second vehicle to be a daily driver and can't afford a 3rd gen RX. I'm also open to a used GX or even a highlander. I've got a Venza now that I'm thinking about selling to get another Lexus. But yeah out of all the vehicles that I ride in new or old none compare to Lexus/Toyota.
Old 10-26-15, 03:52 PM
lexusfan05
Driver

You may want to ask in the GX forum but I hear that the GX was much better built in that generation. Keep in mind though, GX is a totally different vehicle. It's a truck based SUV (body on frame) whereas RX is car based (unibody).
Old 10-27-15, 07:41 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Bought an 07, RX350 with about 30K miles on it back in 2012. Now at 140K. Outside of normal maintenance items, it hasn't cost me a dime for ANY repairs.

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Nothing else is even close.
Old 10-27-15, 07:53 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghuns
Bought an 07, RX350 with about 30K miles on it back in 2012. Now at 140K. Outside of normal maintenance items, it hasn't cost me a dime for ANY repairs.

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Nothing else is even close.
Great to hear and glad you got a good one. I'm still considering an 06-09 RX, 04-08 GX, Highlander, or maybe another Venza. I'm open to hearing pros and cons on any of these if anyone wishes to add.
Old 10-28-15, 08:33 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by plainview
Great to hear and glad you got a good one. I'm still considering an 06-09 RX, 04-08 GX, Highlander, or maybe another Venza. I'm open to hearing pros and cons on any of these if anyone wishes to add.
The '06 RX is different from the '07-'09's in that it's a 330 vs. a 350 model. You will definitely notice a performance difference. Depending on the previous owners maintenance history on it, you may have a timing belt and water pump job coming up on the '06 model.

The Highlander you get up to 7 passenger seating vs our 5, but you don't get the refinement of a Lexus. Also, through '07 it was the first generation Highlander - you'd probably want to look at an '08+.

You said this would be your DD; the GX470's get 14/18 MPG while the other vehicles will do decently enough better, unless you need more of a "truck", the GX may not work out well and the money saved in getting an older vehicle like the '08 GX would be spent in fuel and could otherwise been put towards a newer RX (maybe even third gen)

DW has a '13 Venza Limited, they are nice cars. I like that they have some Lexus "touches" to them like all window switches are auto up and down. I thought I read that Toyota is discontinuing the Venza though, so a "new one" can only be 'so new'; there have not been a vast amount of changes in them over the years either from what I've seen. We had an '09 first (no LE/XLE/Limited back then) just came with packages. The '13 has LED running lights, a newer front end, updated head unit with NAV, side mirror lamps, and the mirrors tilt when car is placed in reverse. There's probably more but that's all I can think of now.

What is your budget?
Old 10-29-15, 06:37 AM
plainview
Rookie

Originally Posted by justin1203
The '06 RX is different from the '07-'09's in that it's a 330 vs. a 350 model. You will definitely notice a performance difference. Depending on the previous owners maintenance history on it, you may have a timing belt and water pump job coming up on the '06 model.
I assume you are referring to the 3.3L engine to the 3.5L. That's probably not a deal breaker for me as I don't really drive that aggressively these days especially with my kids in the car most of the time. As far as work On an 06 I do have a couple of really solid mechanics one who is crazy cheap. Was only gonna charge me around $200 for the timing belt on my es 330. Any other reason not to get a 330 over a 350?

The Highlander you get up to 7 passenger seating vs our 5, but you don't get the refinement of a Lexus. Also, through '07 it was the first generation Highlander - you'd probably want to look at an '08+.
I agree I would try to find a newer Highlander but I still prefer a Lexus if I can find what I'm looking for.

You said this would be your DD; the GX470's get 14/18 MPG while the other vehicles will do decently enough better, unless you need more of a "truck", the GX may not work out well and the money saved in getting an older vehicle like the '08 GX would be spent in fuel and could otherwise been put towards a newer RX (maybe even third gen)
Good point. May scrap the GX idea unless something cherry comes along.

DW has a '13 Venza Limited, they are nice cars. I like that they have some Lexus "touches" to them like all window switches are auto up and down. I thought I read that Toyota is discontinuing the Venza though, so a "new one" can only be 'so new'; there have not been a vast amount of changes in them over the years either from what I've seen. We had an '09 first (no LE/XLE/Limited back then) just came with packages. The '13 has LED running lights, a newer front end, updated head unit with NAV, side mirror lamps, and the mirrors tilt when car is placed in reverse. There's probably more but that's all I can think of now.
I have a 2010 Venza now and it has the premium package 2. So almost every option for that year but it needs a little work, drivers heated seat and tires, that I don't know if I want to deal with or spend the money on so I may sell. Got a great deal on it anyway so won't lose anything. But if I could find one with zero issues would not be opposed to another once again if an RX is anything like my ES then I would give up the bells and whistles of my Venza.

What is your budget?
Probably mid to high teens. Need to sell the Venza first of course.

Last edited by plainview; 10-29-15 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Sp