RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Huge Repair, Now again this time struts / suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 12:27 PM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huge Repair, Now again this time struts / suspension

This summer I had my 1st major repair, on my wife's 2006 RX 400H Lexus. Lost all power going up a hill this summer looking at homes. I used to own back in the day, a Volkswagen during the dreaded coil pack VW RECALL Denial Decade. So I know how it feels, when a coil pack lets go. Luckily hybrid power got me out of a bad situation.

Anyhoot, took it to the dreaded dealer since the cost of aftermarket coil packs vs oem were negligible. I took an executive decision, and told the dealer to change all 6 and while they were at it to change the OEM spark plugs too (my car as 130K miles). And in typical Lexus Stealership incompetence they tried to pull a fast one on me on the invoice. After the work was done, I picked up the car at night (when the service department is closed) from the Sales Counter and noticed they charged me for labour, TWICE. The labor to change the sparkplugs, and the labor to change the coil packs

Anyways, they put it down to "Oh, sorry about that". Yeah right

It worked out to in Canadian Dollars (including an oil change) $1400 tax in. (that`s about $1100US)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Now, I can confirm that I will be needing the following parts (and NO, I don't need the dealer for this).
4 STRUTS, 2 LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS (if available, otherwise will need lower control arm table), and 2 ball joints.

From my understanding, you can save a lot of labor on getting struts that are complete (strut, assembly, and coils all ready to go).

So my question to the community is, there seems to be only Two types of aftermarket struts (of quality) available, monroe or kyb. What I value, is comfort (this is not an X6 M) and also style. What are the opinions of the community on this matter.

My second question is, since I also value style, what kind of ride can I expect with lower springs in place of the factory springs along with new struts (I am reading that eibach are readily available)

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by MadloR; 10-15-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 01:04 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
Just went through this myself in trying to "fix" a bad vibration in the steering wheels.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...on-solved.html

Go to rock auto and purchase the parts you need and have an independent shop put them in. For me it came to $300 plus some change for parts As for control arm bushings that will take a bit more $$. As for the ride aspect the Monroe feels fine in terms of ride comfort. But if you can do NOT buy the strut bellows. They make a sight klunking/rubbing noise now that they go over a bump. Buy the strut COVERS but not the little yellow bellows. Use the stock ones if you can. I've went over every nut & screw tightening it down and the bellows are the cause.
Now the springs I'll have to get back to you on. I have my eye on a pair of Eibach springs. Love the ride of the RX but a little to much swaying side to side along with up & down motion. I'm about to purchase some rear sway bars to help with that.
Old 10-16-15, 06:41 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

I did all of the struts and control arms as well - did it myself. I went with Monroe Sensitracks. From what I gathered, they have a better ride than KYB. I purposefully did not do lowering springs as I wanted to keep a smooth ride. If you cant tackle yourself, as rxonmymind said, take to independent shop...

Also, it is cheaper to buy struts incomplete and assemble them yourself.

Facto in an alignment to be done when finished.
Old 10-17-15, 09:58 AM
MadloR
Driver

Default What I don't want...

I googled and came up with this...

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/2247

The plus of an all in one solution ready to go is: a) saves a lot of time (no need to assemble, re-assemble and deal with a spring compressor). b) It is made to fit and work together.

The thing I am most wanting to avoid, after re-installing, is creaks, squeaks, rattles or any kind of suspension noises. So picking something that works is important to me. I get the feeling from reading that there is a hit a miss issue with things like the upper strut mounting kit, the strut bellows etc. which surprises me some. For a vehicle that is the most popular in it's class, you would think there would be a much larger selection (KYB, Munroe, but how about Koni, TRD, Gabriel)

My struts have leaked (front and back), but the ride is still butter smooth. I may just opt to not deal with changing the struts after all and only deal with the suspension (the two lower ball joints and rubber grommets for the lower control arm/table). If I have to spend money, it has to be for the better and not for a lateral movement. Just because I am in it (attacking the suspension and being where the components are), doesn't mean in this case to do the struts.

Thanks guys
Old 10-19-15, 06:24 AM
MadloR
Driver

Post Ooops...

Correction guys... my SUV has 81,000 miles, which translates roughly to 130,000km

(I originally purchased my RX400H in the USA while working there, and imported back to my home country, Canada).