RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX400h transmission/engine vibration

Old 12-17-14, 11:52 AM
TomUK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX400h transmission/engine vibration

Did post this in the UK forum but nobody else seems to have had the same problem.

Between about 20-30mph, on light throttle the engine/transmission of my 2006 RX400h makes a low groaning sound, sending a vibration through to the cabin. The engine just seems to be very rough at this speeds, like the engine is labouring. After exactly 30mph, everything is very smooth. It is also very smooth when running in EV mode at any speed.

The harshness/vibration only comes on when accelerating, so have ruled out tyres etc. The mileage is 85,000, and it has had a recent major service at a Lexus dealer. I use premium fuel.

The Lexus dealer had a look at the car for 1 hour and inspected the exhaust, engine mountings etc. but could find no faults. I went on a test drive with the service technician and he did notice the vibration.

The dealer said I will need to let them have the car for a whole day for them to try and find the cause, but I'm a little hesitant about paying for this as there is no guarantee they will find the problem.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem, or have any idea what the issue could be? Would be very grateful for any ideas.
Old 12-17-14, 01:22 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try resetting the computer. Unplug the battery for 30 mins. See what happens over the next few days... How old is the battery?
Old 12-17-14, 02:47 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Years ago I remember reading a TSB that talked about a surge at 40 mph. Perhaps that is causing your vibration. A software update fixed it. Have you dealer confirm that you are on the latest software.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...urge-tsib.html

My 06 will sometimes make some noises/vibrations if I keep the gas pedal at a constant position. I vary my pedal position often as I know how to drive it smother than it can do itself.
Old 12-18-14, 11:54 AM
TomUK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smassey321
Years ago I remember reading a TSB that talked about a surge at 40 mph. Perhaps that is causing your vibration. A software update fixed it. Have you dealer confirm that you are on the latest software.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...urge-tsib.html

My 06 will sometimes make some noises/vibrations if I keep the gas pedal at a constant position. I vary my pedal position often as I know how to drive it smother than it can do itself.

My new commute has me driving at about 20-30mph the whole way in a line of slow-moving traffic, going from one set of lights to the next. Out on the main highway, when I am able to accelerate a lot more quickly, I barely notice the vibration at all. Just had a ride in a friend's Toyota Yaris (1.3L 4cyl) today which was much smoother than my V6!

The car is going to Lexus for a new water pump next week, have agreed to pay for 2 hours labour to investigate the issue. I've asked them to check for software updates and have a look at the transmission mount.
Old 12-18-14, 11:58 AM
TomUK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LazarusLng
Try resetting the computer. Unplug the battery for 30 mins. See what happens over the next few days... How old is the battery?

I upgraded the 12V battery as soon as I got the car 1 year ago. I will try unplugging the battery next week if the dealer can't find the source of the problem (which I suspect they won't!).
Old 12-18-14, 02:27 PM
CARspec
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomUK
The dealer said I will need to let them have the car for a whole day for them to try and find the cause, but I'm a little hesitant about paying for this as there is no guarantee they will find the problem.
If they charge a flat diagnostic fee and you get a loaner car, it might actually be the deal of the century. I'd go for it (just get it in writing beforehand I suppose). Good luck!
Old 12-18-14, 03:05 PM
TomUK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CARspec
If they charge a flat diagnostic fee and you get a loaner car, it might actually be the deal of the century. I'd go for it (just get it in writing beforehand I suppose). Good luck!
They had an offer for a 'Winter Health Check' for 15 pounds (about 25 US dollars), so I took my car in for that and asked to go on a quick test drive with the technician. They took about 1.5 hours to do the health check and look for the source of the vibration, but couldn't find anything. They did however find a leaking water pump and worn lower control arm bushes!!

They then quoted me 264 pounds (413 dollars) to spend a whole day looking for the cause of the vibration. They said this was for 2 hours labour, but they would spend the whole day investigating if needed.

I'm getting the water pump done under the warranty next week, so I called them today and asked them to go ahead with the investigation for the vibration.
Old 12-18-14, 09:34 PM
jakenbake
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Most dealerships don't charge for the diagnostic as long as you have the problem repaired.
Old 12-02-17, 01:00 PM
appiahtus
Driver School Candidate

HI
I have the same problem on my RX400H. How did you get yours fixed.
thanks
Old 12-04-17, 05:08 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I upgraded the 12V battery as soon as I got the car 1 year ago. I will try unplugging the battery next week if the dealer can't find the source of the problem (which I suspect they won't!).
Tom you have a hybrid, right? For the love of god, do NOT disconnect 12V and if you have to, for any reason, make sure you have backup 12V connected to the system. Maybe even through power outlet in cabin.
If you need to reset ECM - it won't help anyway, - pull fuse #35 I believe in fuse box. It may be different for your year, but that's the one for my 2012 Highlander Hybrid.

Just take my word on this - do not disconnect 12V unless at gun point.
Btw, I have been chasing low speed rolling shudder on my HiHy for a year now. 94 000 miles. I ended replacing all engine mounts, as they were shot. New tires. It's still there. Rolling with engine off, between 23 and 36 mph. Car jerks back fore.
Old 12-19-17, 01:13 PM
seahamcw
Driver School Candidate

Default .

Did post this in the UK forum but nobody else seems to have had the same problem.

Between about 20-30mph, on light throttle the engine/transmission of my 2006 RX400h makes a low groaning sound, sending a vibration through to the cabin. The engine just seems to be very rough at this speeds, like the engine is labouring. After exactly 30mph, everything is very smooth. It is also very smooth when running in EV mode at any speed.

The harshness/vibration only comes on when accelerating, so have ruled out tyres etc. The mileage is 85,000, and it has had a recent major service at a Lexus dealer. I use premium fuel.

The Lexus dealer had a look at the car for 1 hour and inspected the exhaust, engine mountings etc. but could find no faults. I went on a test drive with the service technician and he did notice the vibration.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem, or have any idea what the issue could be? Would be very grateful for any ideas.
Have got same problem. Mine goes in after the year Not holding out much hope as they had to put it up against another similar to tell if the diff had gone which I’d told them it had 2 weeks earlier. Point is I don’t just let things fester. It will be sortedeven if it costs them a new front end drive unit WARRANTY Keep posted what they find
Old 06-17-18, 11:14 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Tom you have a hybrid, right? For the love of god, do NOT disconnect 12V and if you have to, for any reason, make sure you have backup 12V connected to the system. Maybe even through power outlet in cabin.
If you need to reset ECM - it won't help anyway, - pull fuse #35 I believe in fuse box. It may be different for your year, but that's the one for my 2012 Highlander Hybrid.

Just take my word on this - do not disconnect 12V unless at gun point.
Btw, I have been chasing low speed rolling shudder on my HiHy for a year now. 94 000 miles. I ended replacing all engine mounts, as they were shot. New tires. It's still there. Rolling with engine off, between 23 and 36 mph. Car jerks back fore.
Have you found a solution to your problem? I too am getting this vibration?
Old 06-18-18, 02:06 PM
seahamcw
Driver School Candidate

Lexus apparently, despite all you people writing about this problem, deny all knowledge of anyone complaining about it to any lexus dealership worldwide. About time RX 400h owners got their bums down to their dealership to complain. Last I heard lexus have stated that “they do not make the vehicle any longer , they do not rate this problem as a safety issue, so they are doing nothing about it “