Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

40 MPH Surge TSIB

Old 02-09-07, 02:39 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 40 MPH Surge TSIB

Took my wife's 2006 400h to the dealer for an oil change (10,000mi) & mentioned to the service writer that I felt a surging at around 40 MPH, and that I had heard there is a TSIB to correct this problem. I had looked it up and it stated it was for cars with a VIN older than mine, but I didn't mention that to him. He said he wasn't familiar with that problem or TSIB but he would investigate. When I picked up the vehicle the service receipt stated that they had updated HW and ECU software per TSIB EG020-06. (I Don't know what HW is.)
The next day my wife came home after driving the car and said it was running much smoother. I asked her in what way and she said it was no longer making the little jerk or shutter when she came to a stop. I had previously noticed this and assumed that this was normal for a hybrid and didn't mention it to the dealer .
I drove the car last night and found that she was correct (of course) and the shutter was gone. What was interesting was that I had not told her that they had done anything except change the oil, so she wasn't looking for any changes in performance of the car. The change was so obvious that she recognized it immediately. Apparently the software change to correct what they call 40MPH rocking also affected the control system during a stop.

I normally change my own oil but figured I would take it to them since I had this problem and thought they might give more attention if they thought I was a "return for service every 5,000 miles" paying customer. Don't know if it had an effect, but I think it was 50 dollars well spent.
Old 02-09-07, 04:50 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

do you have a link to the TSB? I have the same problem!
Old 02-09-07, 05:19 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

ok.. found the TSB and made an appt for tomorrow..
i'll see if it fixes it. My car does this 60~70mph though.. not 40mph..
but i hope this fixes it.. it's so annoying!!
Old 02-09-07, 07:12 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Surge

Here is the link
http://www.lexushelp.com/Ownership/B...G/EG020-06.htm
Old 02-12-07, 02:44 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

ok.. i got the car returned today.. man Newport Lexus have great service.
i didn't really get the "test" car.. but will do today..
but i've read somewhere that it might take the car a week to "learn" things.. so i'll report back~
Old 02-15-07, 05:30 PM
Plug Guy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RX400h we have had since November has had the 60mph surge I mentioned last fall, but Lexus is still working on that fix.

The 40mph surge TSB involves an ECU reflash to correct. I expect the same will come for the 60mph surge at some point, but as yet, nothing.
Old 02-16-07, 11:26 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Originally Posted by Plug Guy
The RX400h we have had since November has had the 60mph surge I mentioned last fall, but Lexus is still working on that fix.

The 40mph surge TSB involves an ECU reflash to correct. I expect the same will come for the 60mph surge at some point, but as yet, nothing.
hi.. i got the 40mph surge done.. but the problem still exist @ 60~70 mph..
so i guess the 40mph surge ecu reflash doesn't fix our problem..
Old 03-11-07, 07:48 PM
jednav
Driver

I guess the surge is not only confined to the hybrid model.

I got an 07 350 AWD with 2000kms. I noticed the surge at 40 km.

When I let go of the gas pedal at over 80 kms., it slows down as usual
but as it downshift to 1st or 2nd gear (not sure which one), the RX surges
as it further slows down.

I know this is not right, and will take this up to the dealer on Tuesday, 13th for my first inspection visit.

Question:

1. Would anyone know if the TSB mentioned above only applies to the hybrid model?

2. Would the surge as I described it, the same issue as others noticed?

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-14-07, 01:12 PM
jednav
Driver

check my update in the RX 350 forum
Old 04-28-07, 09:21 PM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

Put our early 2006 400h in the shop today and had the dealership do the TSIB update. Interesting thing is I told them about the 40 to 60 mph "fish biting" and that I wanted the software update. They told me they were not aware of a software update. I said I found out about it on the Internet (Club Lexus) and that my VIN qualified for the update. They did the upgrade and driving it back from the dealership tonight (60 miles) the car was smooth and was getting better gas mileage as per the display. To be fair, it is my wife's car so I don't drive it much and the weather was spring-time and not requiring much A/C but it rang up 28 mpg in 70% freeway and 30% city driving which is about 2 mpg than it was getting prior to the TSIB. The car has 20,000 miles and Bridgestone Alenzas.

During the service receipt review and payment face time with the service manager when she got to the TSIB update entry, she thanked me for bringing it to their attention. You'd think in this age of computerization they'd generate a "to do" checklist based on the vehicle's VIN prior to pulling it into the service bay which would pull up the current software version and any other updates or recall fixes needed. Lexus, are you listening?! How the unwashed masses who don't read posts on Club Lexus? When were you going to update their software? Hey Lexus management, don't you think this qualifies as a "Pursuit of Perfection" kind of service thing? Enough with my ranting. I just think it is terrible when the customer has to bring the TSIB to the service department's attention.
Old 05-03-07, 07:57 AM
jednav
Driver

Originally Posted by wstr75
Put our early 2006 400h in the shop today and had the dealership do the TSIB update. Interesting thing is I told them about the 40 to 60 mph "fish biting" and that I wanted the software update. They told me they were not aware of a software update. I said I found out about it on the Internet (Club Lexus) and that my VIN qualified for the update. They did the upgrade and driving it back from the dealership tonight (60 miles) the car was smooth and was getting better gas mileage as per the display. To be fair, it is my wife's car so I don't drive it much and the weather was spring-time and not requiring much A/C but it rang up 28 mpg in 70% freeway and 30% city driving which is about 2 mpg than it was getting prior to the TSIB. The car has 20,000 miles and Bridgestone Alenzas.

During the service receipt review and payment face time with the service manager when she got to the TSIB update entry, she thanked me for bringing it to their attention. You'd think in this age of computerization they'd generate a "to do" checklist based on the vehicle's VIN prior to pulling it into the service bay which would pull up the current software version and any other updates or recall fixes needed. Lexus, are you listening?! How the unwashed masses who don't read posts on Club Lexus? When were you going to update their software? Hey Lexus management, don't you think this qualifies as a "Pursuit of Perfection" kind of service thing? Enough with my ranting. I just think it is terrible when the customer has to bring the TSIB to the service department's attention.
What is the TSIB are you referring to?
Old 05-03-07, 06:21 PM
wstr75
Driver School Candidate

jed, see the third post down from the top of this thread. It has the link regarding the TSIB.
Old 06-15-07, 10:57 AM
neelratna
Driver School Candidate

We just brought home a 2006 rx400h with 17k miles. Its only a couple times that I have taken it out on a clean stretch of highway without traffic.
I definitely found the miniature lurches hapenning while trying to maintain constant 60mph.
If this was a regular car it would be clean and smooth. Instead I quickly noticed the micro lurches and transmission variations. I am an ex-pilot and maintain a high situational awareness. I quickly realized that this was not an ordinary phenomenon.
This forum does confirm that I was not alone.

I have a dealer appointment for a EG020 TSIB from Lexus as follows:

["EG020-06 Visit/Download Link
"ROCKING" FEELING AROUND 40 MPH
Under certain circumstances, 2006 model year RX 400h owners may experience a back and forth “rocking” feeling while attempting to maintain the vehicle at a constant speed around 40 mph. The Hybrid Vehicle (HV) ECU logic has been updated to help improve this condition."]

And another TSIB for around 60mph:
["(TSIB EG013-07). "EG7022 ROCKING FEELING @ HHGWY SPDS APROX 70MPH""]

Will wait and see if this fixes it. Will post results next week.
Old 06-21-07, 04:58 PM
DeaneG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by neelratna
... And another TSIB for around 60mph:
["(TSIB EG013-07). "EG7022 ROCKING FEELING @ HHGWY SPDS APROX 70MPH""]
Does that 70mph TSB apply to 2007 model 400h also, or just earlier cars??

Thx

Deane
Old 06-21-07, 05:07 PM
neelratna
Driver School Candidate

The (TSIB EG013-07) certainly seems to be a 07 patch and may be applicable to 07 models.

We received the EG013-07 patch on our RX yesterday and I do confirm that the micro-lurches/surges are gone at 60-70 mph.

On the flip side, the car seems to use less or no battery between 0-30mph as it used to and seems to rely more on ICE all the time.

Can anyone say if we should get the older EG020-06 patch too?

We used to hit 23-24mpg. Will wait and post results after another tank or two.

Last edited by neelratna; 06-22-07 at 03:39 AM.