RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 - intermittent power steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 07:39 AM
mcmani4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question RX330 - intermittent power steering problems

]Just got my first Lexus in June (it's a 2005 RX330 with 68K) and I am brand new to this forum. Last week, I replaced all four tires (discovering some of the joys of an all-wheel vehicle and had it aligned. Approximately 3 days later, I started to feel an intermittent lack of power steering. At least I think that's what it feels like -- just not smooth on the turns, a little "grabby." Tire/alignment shop says no way they could have done anything. I read some posts and the p/s fluid is black, so I will change that today. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-13, 08:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Do several turkey baster suction out old fluid. Add new fluid with Mobil-1 Synthetic atf. each time. Made my steering smooth as glass. Also check to make sure your belts are tight and not worn. only other thing I could think of is the rack/pinion could be the culprit. But try my suggestion`s first.

Last edited by lexus114; 09-24-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-30-13, 07:19 AM
mcmani4
Driver School Candidate

Default Power Steering fix

Originally Posted by lexus114
Do several turkey baster suction out old fluid. Add new fluid with Mobil-1 Synthetic atf. each time. Made my steering smooth as glass. Also check to make sure your belts are tight and not worn. only other thing I could think of is the rack/pinion could be the culprit. But try my suggestion`s first.
Thanks so much! I drained and refilled with Mobil1 ATF, and will do it again. (Saw a recommendation to use the top of a spray bottle and that worked great). No diff yet, but I will continue on that path for now. And then have those belts checked. Hope it's not the rack/pinion -- sounds pricey. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!
Old 09-30-13, 09:45 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mcmani4
Thanks so much! I drained and refilled with Mobil1 ATF, and will do it again. (Saw a recommendation to use the top of a spray bottle and that worked great). No diff yet, but I will continue on that path for now. And then have those belts checked. Hope it's not the rack/pinion -- sounds pricey. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!
Sure no problem. (I hope it`s not the rack too) But give this a chance first by getting al that old fluid outta there.
Old 09-30-13, 03:48 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

When I started doing mine I started with a basic DEXRON II/III ATF fluid per the manual to get some clean stuff in there. Every few months I would pump out the dirty stuff and put in clean. Just left the engine cover for that area off since I was constantly going back in there time-after-time. Even ran some Sea Foam Trans Tune to help cut some of the varnish which had built up. Was hard to read even what the level was due to the varnish. Continued with this until the fluid stayed fairly clean between changes. Only then did I switch to the Mobil 1 ATF. Did not want to waste good synthetic that was only going to be removed again in short order.
Old 09-30-13, 04:13 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mcmani4
]Just got my first Lexus in June (it's a 2005 RX330 with 68K) and I am brand new to this forum. Last week, I replaced all four tires (discovering some of the joys of an all-wheel vehicle and had it aligned. Approximately 3 days later, I started to feel an intermittent lack of power steering. At least I think that's what it feels like -- just not smooth on the turns, a little "grabby." Tire/alignment shop says no way they could have done anything. I read some posts and the p/s fluid is black, so I will change that today. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Welcome to Club Lexus, mcmani4.

The power steering fluid is something easily overlooked by owners, and it seems dealerships, when it comes to regular maintenance of their vehicle. If you inspect the Scheduled Maintenance section of your Owner's Manual you will see that there is not even a service interval to change out the fluid.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say a number of the power steering rack failures discussed about here at CL could have been prevented or at least delayed by a regular servicing of this essential but forgotten about fluid.

I had left it to the dealership to make sure all things like this were addressed while my vehicle was under warranty and I was busy working. Once I reduced my work schedule and my RX was out of warranty I had more time to notice neglected items such as this. After four years the fluid was black and a varnish had covered the inside reservoir and the cap.

This could take awhile for you to clear out the old stuff doing it as you are since you are only removing a little bit at a time. See my previous post. Personally, I do not recommend a power steering flush due to all the varnish which may now be in the system which may clog things up if you try to get it all out at once. Slow and steady.
Old 12-10-13, 05:20 PM
mcmani4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, everyone! The turkey baster (actually, I used the squirt bottle method) WORKED! After 2 treatments, my Steering is smooth as glass again.
The following users liked this post:
LRX05 (03-27-18)
Old 12-11-13, 06:23 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, mcmani4.

The power steering fluid is something easily overlooked by owners, and it seems dealerships, when it comes to regular maintenance of their vehicle. If you inspect the Scheduled Maintenance section of your Owner's Manual you will see that there is not even a service interval to change out the fluid.

If I had to venture a guess, I would say a number of the power steering rack failures discussed about here at CL could have been prevented or at least delayed by a regular servicing of this essential but forgotten about fluid.

I had left it to the dealership to make sure all things like this were addressed while my vehicle was under warranty and I was busy working. Once I reduced my work schedule and my RX was out of warranty I had more time to notice neglected items such as this. After four years the fluid was black and a varnish had covered the inside reservoir and the cap.

This could take awhile for you to clear out the old stuff doing it as you are since you are only removing a little bit at a time. See my previous post. Personally, I do not recommend a power steering flush due to all the varnish which may now be in the system which may clog things up if you try to get it all out at once. Slow and steady.
great post. I routinely changed the reservoir fluid every other engine oil change. All fluid will eventually break down, get contaminated and remember there is no filter in most PS systems.

Last edited by alchemist; 12-11-13 at 06:27 AM.
Old 12-11-13, 09:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I do a suck and fill on my PS fluid on all of my cars. I do it every oil change. This after an aggressive frequency of suck-fill when I bought my used Lexus'. Now they are pinkish and smell fresh.

I use this: