RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Non Ethanol gasoline

Old 07-30-12, 12:58 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Non Ethanol gasoline

Anybody using 0% ethanol gas? I am going to try it for a couple months and see if my mpg increases.
Old 07-30-12, 01:07 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Difficult to find in the Chicagoland northern suburbs, if you can find it near you and it's the same price as 10%get it.
Engine computer should adjust accordingly. It'll be interesting to know what your actual MPG was and will be.
Old 07-30-12, 01:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Anybody using 0% ethanol gas? I am going to try it for a couple months and see if my mpg increases.
There is probably no doubt you will see some improvement in MPG by making that switch. Questions will be how much of an improvement, at what cost over 10% fuel and how convenient will it be to obtain?

I keep a few drums of ethanol free fuel here on the farm to use in the antiques and farm equipment. Do not put any in the RX. That gets what is available at the pump.
Old 07-30-12, 05:08 PM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

www.pure-gas.org has a nice list of no ethanol stations. Luckily central VA has a few. I will have to make sure to use it with my power equipment.
Old 07-30-12, 05:57 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

i used to pump no-ethanol gas in my other car that recommends premium..

in the 6 months i was there pumping.. i saw no big difference in MPG between that and Chevron Techron 93.. 90% highway miles..
the no-ethanol was not a national chain place. The cost for no-ethanol gas was about 5 cents more a gallon..
Old 07-30-12, 07:52 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've been running pure gas in my RX 330 for several years. I get 1.5 to 2 MPG more on the freeway/highway but not much difference if any in city driving. I can feel an improvement in performance in city driving but don't see it reflected in MPG. I am required to run my car through emission testing and the readings are the same whether I use pure gas or ethanol laden gas.
Old 07-31-12, 09:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

And the environmentalist`s want us to start using 15% ethanol in our fuel? Lets see; less mpg`s, less engine performance overall. Toyota as well as other maker`s do NOT recommend anything higher that 10% ethanol in the fuel. Gotta love theses melon heads. And not to mention the ever rising cost of Corn over this idiotic idea.

Last edited by lexus114; 07-31-12 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 10:33 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
And the environmentalist`s want us to start using 15% ethanol in our fuel? Lets see; less mpg`s, less engine performance overall. Toyota as well as other maker`s do NOT recommend anything higher that 10% ethanol in the fuel. Gotta love theses melon heads. And not to mention the ever rising cost of Corn over this idiotic idea.
It also creates more emissions per mile. It's a political feeding-trough.
Roughly speaking, ethanol has 75% of the power of gas in the same volume. Thus, if 10% ethanol is used in fuel, mpg should decrease by about 25% of 10%, i.e. 2.5%. If you're getting 20mpg with pure petrol, you would be getting about a 0.5 mpg decrease, or 19.5 mpg instead, which is hard to notice. The fuel pumps that I have seen (that sell pure petrol) are substantially more expensive, comparatively, than the improvement you would get in mpg. But overall, there is no doubt that the 'ethanol thing' is misguided, expensive (costs the taxpayers billions) and anti-environmentalist (whatever the environmentalists think). Another example of 'government in action'!
Old 07-31-12, 11:27 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

[RANT ON]
Another current issue is where the ethanol will come from. Since we have this serious drought occurring in the US and 70-80% of the corn crop is affected, there will soon be a shortage of ethanol. If the EPA doesn't relax that mandate, there will likely be gas lines and possibly rationing. We in the US are the major producer and exporter of corn and most other grains. We have been experimenting with other sources for ethanol production but that won't help us in a drought. Many countries rely on our corn and grain production for food and are not going to be delighted that we are burning food (corn) for fuel while they starve so we can expect things might get tense in the world as we stop selling corn to other countries. Out of every 10 ears of corn produced today 4 go into fuel, four go to animal feed and two are consumed by people. Corn is in nearly everything we eat or drink.

This whole ethanol thing looks like it is a farm boondoggle. As I mentioned, my emission numbers look the same whether I am running pure gas or 10% ethanol. Modern cars run cleaner and I suspect ethanol is no longer required to support the clean air initiative. So if we don't need ethanol for clean air any more why are we subsidizing it? It is not as efficient as gasoline and you must burn more of it to travel as far. The claim that we are using it so that we don't need to pay countries that don't like us much is hogwash. We could have built an oil pipeline from Canada, who do like us somewhat and our government turned that down so Canada sold the oil to China. Oil is fungible. No one knows or cares where the oil really comes from in that sense.

I think its time we stop burning food.
[RANT OFF]
Old 07-31-12, 03:53 PM
cartman57
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct!
LPG conversions, now there's a topic for another thread!
Old 07-31-12, 04:38 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
About one third of all US corn production goes into use for ethanol production. In the last several months the price of corn is up some 60%. With the extended drought, none of this is good news for gas prices, food prices, etc.
Old 07-31-12, 09:14 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
[RANT ON]
Another current issue is where the ethanol will come from. Since we have this serious drought occurring in the US and 70-80% of the corn crop is affected, there will soon be a shortage of ethanol. If the EPA doesn't relax that mandate, there will likely be gas lines and possibly rationing. We in the US are the major producer and exporter of corn and most other grains. We have been experimenting with other sources for ethanol production but that won't help us in a drought. Many countries rely on our corn and grain production for food and are not going to be delighted that we are burning food (corn) for fuel while they starve so we can expect things might get tense in the world as we stop selling corn to other countries. Out of every 10 ears of corn produced today 4 go into fuel, four go to animal feed and two are consumed by people. Corn is in nearly everything we eat or drink.

This whole ethanol thing looks like it is a farm boondoggle. As I mentioned, my emission numbers look the same whether I am running pure gas or 10% ethanol. Modern cars run cleaner and I suspect ethanol is no longer required to support the clean air initiative. So if we don't need ethanol for clean air any more why are we subsidizing it? It is not as efficient as gasoline and you must burn more of it to travel as far. The claim that we are using it so that we don't need to pay countries that don't like us much is hogwash. We could have built an oil pipeline from Canada, who do like us somewhat and our government turned that down so Canada sold the oil to China. Oil is fungible. No one knows or cares where the oil really comes from in that sense.

[RANT OFF]
Except, of course, you forgot to mention the emissions associated with producing the ethanol, and the cost of so doing which exceed the energy provided by the ethanol. The only 'cost-effective' production of ethanol (where more energy is obtained than expended) is when it is obtained from the sugarcane. Producing it from corn is 'lose - lose - lose'