RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

rx330 starting/electrical problems. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 11:50 AM
japanbran
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rx330 starting/electrical problems. Please help

My parents are disabled and have a 04 rx330 awd with 80k on it. its not running and Im trying to help them. here is the problem.

CAR HAS A BRAND NEW BATTERY.

I can unlock the doors, get in the car and try to start it. When key is turned as far as it will go without starting the car the cluster lights up, all warning lights come on. but thats it. Radio, climate control, windows,seats, NOTHING else works. Then when you turn the key to start it nothing happens, Not even a click. power outlets dont work.

things I have tried.

NEW BATTERY
CHECK FUSES
ROCKING THE ROCK IN PARK
STARTING IN NEUTRAL

nothing as worked. Any info would be great. Im pretty much lost now.

PROBLEM IS FIXED, SOLUTION ON PG 2

Last edited by japanbran; 01-28-12 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 12:07 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It still sounds like a battery issue. Bad new ones are not impossible. Can you try jumping it? Or try a known good battery?
Old 01-25-12, 12:40 PM
japanbran
Rookie

tried jumping it. Still did the same thing
Old 01-25-12, 02:22 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Try a different key. In the Owner's Manual, usually, is the spare credit card key. You need to hold the key against the place it shows you while turning the ignition.
Old 01-25-12, 04:02 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

BTW, is there anything else on the keychain in addition to the Lexus key such as a security fob or any other RF device such as a Mobil Speedpass? These devices can interfere with the electronics in the key. Try with just the ignition key and nothing else in the vicinity to include other ignition keys.
Old 01-25-12, 04:15 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Even if there was interference from another source and the car couldn't read the security tag in the key, the car would attempt to "turn over" but you would just continuously hear the starter over and over because the fuel cut off is the only thing that stops when it doesn't sense the security part of the key... So you would hear some kind of attempt for the car to start, there just wouldn't be any fuel for it to actually start.

-Joe
Old 01-25-12, 06:00 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Try jiggling the gear lever. There is an interlock that checks the gear shifter is in Park.

There could be an actual problem with starter solenoid or wire leading to the solenoid. If you are handy with voltmeter and can keep your hands out of the moving parts, you can check for +12v on the solenoid when you attempt to start. If you get +12v and the relay does not engage, try hitting it with rubber mallet.

If you are uncomfortable with it, reach for a mechanic.

Salim
Old 01-26-12, 08:12 AM
japanbran
Rookie

nothing on the key chain, I have tried both mater keys as well as the little sliver key.

tried messing with the gear lever.. I will check the starter solenoid today. where is that located on these things?
Old 01-26-12, 08:47 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you say "Checked Fuses" Did you just check the fuses in the engine compartment? Or did you also check all the fuses under the steering wheel? Very curious, want to help as much as I can.

-Joe
Old 01-26-12, 10:06 PM
japanbran
Rookie

yes i did. both fuse boxes. everything checked out ok. Im stumped and need to get this car on the road for them
Old 01-26-12, 11:27 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by japanbran
nothing on the key chain, I have tried both mater keys as well as the little sliver key.

tried messing with the gear lever.. I will check the starter solenoid today. where is that located on these things?
The starter solenoid is the the large appendage to the starter.

As you turn the ignition to start, 12v is sent to the solenoid, the relay part of the solenoid connects the thick 12v wire from the battery to the starter and the mechanical lever (bendix) pulls out the gear of the starter to engage with the flywheel.

Please do not be in a hurry to get the RX going. You really want to diagnose the problem as it would be worse if the the RX refused to start away from home.

If you can turn the ignition with any key, the key is not your problem.

Some times when some one says, the vehicle does not start, it can have multiple meanings ,,, the starter spins and rotates the engine but the engine does not catch (run) is one.

I am under the impression that the starter is not spinning and you do not hear the click-click sound (the when the battery is almost out of juice).

You may need a partner or a mirror. Humor me and turn the head lights ON and try to start. Do the head lights dim when you move the ignition to start?

Salim
Old 01-27-12, 09:27 AM
japanbran
Rookie

I will try that now. I still dont think its the starter solenoid, because that doesnt explain why nothing in the car works..(seats,windows,radio,a/c. nothing but the gauge cluster.
Old 01-27-12, 10:43 AM
japanbran
Rookie

headlights do not dim when trying to start.
Old 01-27-12, 11:33 AM
salimshah

That is good information.

I would suggest look through the fuses in the engine compartment. Some of the fuses are bolted in (due to high current demand).

Did any one put in the new battery the wrong way? +/- swapped. or any bad experience giving/getting jump.

Salim
Old 01-27-12, 01:13 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please try a known good battery.

Quick Reply: rx330 starting/electrical problems. Please help