RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Has anyone had a timing belt break?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 12:39 PM
MNSC3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by a Lexus mechanic they switched to timing chains in 2007, that's why I bought a 2008 RX 350, was he wrong ???
Old 02-01-14, 12:59 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MNSC3
I was told by a Lexus mechanic they switched to timing chains in 2007, that's why I bought a 2008 RX 350, was he wrong ???
The technician was right, the 08 RX350 uses a chain.
Old 02-01-14, 01:04 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MNSC3
Originally Posted by cdnewton
The technician was right, the 08 RX350 uses a chain.
As cdnewton points out, you have your information straight. Any talk here about timing belts breaking is for the RX330.
Old 02-01-14, 01:16 PM
MNSC3
Driver

AHHHHHH good to know, thank you
Old 03-26-15, 05:04 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick318
My neighbor's '04 RX 330 190K hasn't had a timing belt replacement since the day he purchased it. All i have to say is wow!!!
Nick, this isn't an exception, it's the norm...

Lexus timing belts snapping are so rare you almost never see it happen.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 03-26-15 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 05:12 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieZ
I never, ever heard of a timing belt breaking on anything ever. For those who can't sleep at nights worrying , change it. A good nights sleep is important. If you must worry, worry about something not as stupid as a timing belts..
LOL!

I'm with you. When mine breaks, I will become one of those people on the forums that relentlessly stresses the importance of replacing your timing belt every 90K miles...

After having a half dozen 200K+ mile cars in the family with original timing belts, it's not high on the things-to-do list.
Old 09-11-15, 02:42 PM
brianmch
Driver

Originally Posted by alchemist
that is a hell of a price... local lexus dealer here charges 475 for timing belt and accessory belts but no water pump. For pump they want another 350-400 explaining that it is fused into the block, blah blah, blah, takes a long time to change, blah blah.

I am going to tackle this job myself over xmas and write a DIY.
I know this is old, but wondering if you ever wrote this up. If not, how was it? I understand if you don't remember as I get a little fuzzy about history too.
Old 09-13-15, 06:41 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
LOL!

I'm with you. When mine breaks, I will become one of those people on the forums that relentlessly stresses the importance of replacing your timing belt every 90K miles...

After having a half dozen 200K+ mile cars in the family with original timing belts, it's not high on the things-to-do list.
What a hoot!

For the three belts I've had changed, I've asked the technician for the un-damaged (they often cut them off with a scissors) belts for my inspection - and I have to say that they all LOOKED (external looks have no bearing on fiber strength/integrity) like they could go twice the distance.

I'm just too conservative (and spent a career with a components supplier, and trust the recommendations of Quality Assurance Engineers) and don't like my history in testing my ability to avoid being an outlier in the statistical bell curve of life.
Old 12-26-15, 03:06 PM
Huston
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX330 timing belt

My timing belt broke yesterday, Christmas Day, on my RX330. I was traveling 65 mph on the highway too. I have the 3MZ-FE motor. I was very lucky. The engine is an interference engine. I had 110k miles on the vehicle. I would adhere closely to the maintenance schedule for this timing belt. I took a chance and it would have cost me at least 7000$ had I not gotten lucky. I know this thread is old but I read it yesterday when my timing belt broke, and I was worried. I thought I would let everyone know what had happened to me. My total repair bill was 1300$ and some change. This information is from the mechanic who worked on my vehicle. The whole service department knew what I could have been in for, and they were kind to say the least. That is my story....
Old 12-26-15, 08:31 PM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Huston
My timing belt broke yesterday, Christmas Day, on my RX330. I was traveling 65 mph on the highway too. I have the 3MZ-FE motor. I was very lucky. The engine is an interference engine. I had 110k miles on the vehicle. I would adhere closely to the maintenance schedule for this timing belt. I took a chance and it would have cost me at least 7000$ had I not gotten lucky. I know this thread is old but I read it yesterday when my timing belt broke, and I was worried. I thought I would let everyone know what had happened to me. My total repair bill was 1300$ and some change. This information is from the mechanic who worked on my vehicle. The whole service department knew what I could have been in for, and they were kind to say the least. That is my story....
Thank you for sharing. I guess that was your Christmas miracle of sorts!

If you don't mind answering, what year was your RX and how many miles?
Old 12-27-15, 06:06 AM
Huston
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 timing belt

Originally Posted by mylexbaby
Thank you for sharing. I guess that was your Christmas miracle of sorts!

If you don't mind answering, what year was your RX and how many miles?
It is an 05 RX330 with between a 109 and 110 thousand miles on it. I have to pick it up tomorrow. If you want the exact mileage, I can give it to you then.
Old 12-27-15, 06:52 AM
mylexbaby
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Huston
It is an 05 RX330 with between a 109 and 110 thousand miles on it. I have to pick it up tomorrow. If you want the exact mileage, I can give it to you then.
Thanks for responding. Exact mileage not needed.

Wishing you a Happy New Year......
Old 10-09-18, 04:53 PM
fancyjean
Driver School Candidate

My Lexus 2010 RX is just over 160k miles. Just read through the timing belt thread. I have never had it replaced and now I am quite nervous that I should. From what was posted, it sounds like you should do the water pump at the same time. So my question is... can I take it to my "oil change" guy or do I need to take it to the dealership? And what is the price range for the timing belt, and then the timing belt and water pump? Not my specialty dealing with the lingo, but I need to know enough to not have a crazy bill. And, I think it sounds like I should run- not walk to get my timing belt replaced. (Second RX, love my Lexus)
Old 10-09-18, 05:18 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fancyjean
My Lexus 2010 RX is just over 160k miles. Just read through the timing belt thread. I have never had it replaced and now I am quite nervous that I should.
Your 2010 Lexus RX350 V6 has a Timing Chain not a Timing Belt. The timing chain doesn't require regular replacement like a belt. The timing chain guides may wear out before the chain does; this can create noise from the front of the engine and can result in timing gear damage if not corrected.

Last edited by cdnewton; 10-09-18 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 02:16 PM
Koolaid54
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fancyjean
My Lexus 2010 RX is just over 160k miles. Just read through the timing belt thread. I have never had it replaced and now I am quite nervous that I should. From what was posted, it sounds like you should do the water pump at the same time. So my question is... can I take it to my "oil change" guy or do I need to take it to the dealership? And what is the price range for the timing belt, and then the timing belt and water pump? Not my specialty dealing with the lingo, but I need to know enough to not have a crazy bill. And, I think it sounds like I should run- not walk to get my timing belt replaced. (Second RX, love my Lexus)
the 3.3 is a non interference fit motor. so even if the belt snaps your engine is fine.

My dads es330 and he has the same motor. I did what lexus calls 90k service @ 160k. t-belt, coolant, drive belts, all filters, water pump. All the parts were toyota/lexus and it was 175 in parts. without the pump it was 115.

As for the water pump needing to get replaced. it looks ok. toyota doesn't have a maintenance schedule on it but people suggest do it at the same time you are doing your tbelt. Its a few extra bolts after you remove the tbelt.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a timing belt break?