RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Has anyone had a timing belt break?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 09:38 AM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone had a timing belt break?

I recently bought an RX 330 and I'm trying to figure out if there are any maintenance issues I need to take care of. It's a 2004 with 62,000 miles on it, and the 60,000 mile service was already done, but I'm debating whether I need to get the timing belt replaced, based on the 90,000 or 72 month recommendation in the manual.

I've seen this discussed here, and it seems most people do it based on mileage, not age, which is encouraging. But, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's had a timing belt break and at what mileage/age it happened.

I'd appreciate any input... thanks!!
Old 06-07-11, 10:11 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chances are, the belt wont break, instead it will gradually lose ribs, once enough are gone, the belt will slip and you will have an issue. with a repair bill of around 3000 bucks give or take.

you can get the timing belt done for under 500 bucks. not to mention the peice of mind that goes along with having it completed.

i understand your dilema, but if you do get it done now, you will be good for 90,000 miles or 72 months. which is probably longer than you will own the car anyway, and you will never have to think about it again.
Old 06-07-11, 10:21 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by r4614
I recently bought an RX 330 and I'm trying to figure out if there are any maintenance issues I need to take care of. It's a 2004 with 62,000 miles on it, and the 60,000 mile service was already done, but I'm debating whether I need to get the timing belt replaced, based on the 90,000 or 72 month recommendation in the manual.

I've seen this discussed here, and it seems most people do it based on mileage, not age, which is encouraging. But, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's had a timing belt break and at what mileage/age it happened.

I'd appreciate any input... thanks!!
I had the same issue with a '99RX300. I had 60K miles and 6 years, and was persuaded by the Lexus dealer that I needed to change the belt. I did so. It was expensive. And I later read lots of posts at USLexusOwnersClub that their belts were changed at 120K miles and were found to be 'like new' (check their website - many posts). So I think I was over-cautious. If the same situation were to represent itself, I would wait until the 90K miles. And, to add to that side of the argument, there was not one report of a failed belt. On the other hand - did I want to be the first? The overall cost was a PITA, but then no worry. They changed the water pump at the same time (and, again, I have not read of any water pump failures, though I believe they would occur more frequently than belt failures). In summary: no one can give you the 'correct' advice, and Lexus does advise the mileage and time intervals. I believe (but don't follow my belief!) that your belt will be good to 90K miles, but -> It is not my belt and I take no responsibility for my opinion. Good luck!
Old 06-08-11, 07:01 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From the Lexus Owners website it appears that the recommended service interval for timing belt on the RX330 increases from 90K miles / 72 months in 2004 to 90K miles / 108 months in 2005. So this would lead you to wonder whether the belt is different or if Lexus realized that the 72 month interval was simply too conservative, resulting in early replacement of belts with a lot of remaining service life. You might want to discuss this with your service advisor or mechanic. If they can't show you a part number difference or otherwise explain why you should replace sooner, I'd be tempted to go 108 months / 90K miles.
Old 06-08-11, 08:12 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The timing belt in the RX is good for 120K. However,if it does break....It`s game over for the motor. Extensive damage will occur because it is an interference motor.
Old 06-08-11, 08:19 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cjs18
From the Lexus Owners website it appears that the recommended service interval for timing belt on the RX330 increases from 90K miles / 72 months in 2004 to 90K miles / 108 months in 2005. So this would lead you to wonder whether the belt is different or if Lexus realized that the 72 month interval was simply too conservative, resulting in early replacement of belts with a lot of remaining service life. You might want to discuss this with your service advisor or mechanic. If they can't show you a part number difference or otherwise explain why you should replace sooner, I'd be tempted to go 108 months / 90K miles.
Great idea to check the part numbers!
Old 06-08-11, 01:47 PM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

Well, I think I'm gonna wait. I called the Lexus dealership where the previous owner had the 60,000 mile service done to see if maybe they had changed the belt at that time, since it was past the 72 month mark and they said, "Nope. We don't change them until 90,000 miles."

Still not satisfied, I called an independent Lexus mechanic, who said to wait until 90,000 miles. I later stopped by his shop to have him listen to a sound coming from under the dash, and while I was there, asked him again how much the belt change would be if I decided to do it. His response? "It's not time to do it yet, so you don't need a price."

Today, I took it in to a Toyota service department and they told me that they change them based on mileage, or, if they're changing it based on the age of the car, they'd do it at 10 years.

Taking all that into consideration, I'll be doing it at 90,000 miles!

Now let's see if I can get rid of those hamsters that seem to be living in my dashboard...
Old 06-08-11, 04:15 PM
shadowsmit
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to do mine at 90,000. It's nice to know there isn't a big issue with them. I once had a car that needed it done every three years -- and it wasn't cheap.
Old 06-10-11, 09:36 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I later stopped by his shop to have him listen to a sound coming from under the dash

Now let's see if I can get rid of those hamsters that seem to be living in my dashboard...
What specific noise are you referring to here r4614? Regarding the belt, get it checked is the best bet and if it's starting to wear replace it. I normally look at the mileage before making the decision to replace. Unless something has been spilt on the belt (like oils or anything) then the belt integrity should generally be good with the manufacturer's recommendations. However if in doubt, just get it done. You will have to get it done eventually anyway, so what would it hurt?
Old 06-10-11, 09:54 AM
koric
Driver

Well, I think I'm gonna wait. I called the Lexus dealership where the previous owner had the 60,000 mile service done to see if maybe they had changed the belt at that time, since it was past the 72 month mark and they said, "Nope. We don't change them until 90,000 miles."

Still not satisfied, I called an independent Lexus mechanic, who said to wait until 90,000 miles. I later stopped by his shop to have him listen to a sound coming from under the dash, and while I was there, asked him again how much the belt change would be if I decided to do it. His response? "It's not time to do it yet, so you don't need a price."

Today, I took it in to a Toyota service department and they told me that they change them based on mileage, or, if they're changing it based on the age of the car, they'd do it at 10 years.

Taking all that into consideration, I'll be doing it at 90,000 miles!

The rule of thumb across all the major make of automobiles is 90k miles to change the timing belt. And to that shop who wouldn't quote you a timing belt price, I'd avoid them at all cost. As far as hamsters, they are probably just your injectors.
Old 06-10-11, 03:23 PM
r4614
Driver School Candidate

Draco - Just started another thread about the "hamsters". It was the A/C servo motor... I had it replaced and that sound went away, but was replaced by a mind-numbing high pitched chirping. Currently fighting with Toyota service dept. that did the repair and doesn't want to acknowledge that the chirping started after the repair.

Rough first week with my car!!

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Old 07-11-11, 04:34 PM
emedic2327
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The timing belt for the RX 330 does no damage to the engine. Thus according to my mechanic at the dealership... owned by my cousin...
The following users liked this post:
Mohsen1986 (11-19-20)
Old 07-11-11, 05:14 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by emedic2327
The timing belt for the RX 330 does no damage to the engine. Thus according to my mechanic at the dealership... owned by my cousin...
The 3MZ-FE is listed as a non-interference engine. So, if the timing belt breaks you "should not" incur much damage. That being in a perfect world.

(see correction below)

Last edited by RX330inFL; 07-11-11 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 05:55 PM
Sandhopper
Rookie

Had mine changed out at 113K... While they had it apart I had the water pump changed out since it was starting to seep. Figured with that done I should be good for another 100K. Now I need to think about plugs, wires and coil...
Old 07-11-11, 06:03 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
The 3MZ-FE is listed as a non-interference engine. So, if the timing belt breaks you "should not" incur much damage. That being in a perfect world.

I don't know where it is listed as "non-inteference" unless you are looking at the Gates site.

My friend is a Toyota Master Diagnostic Tech/ASE Master Tech/L-1. I chatted with him to confirm. His exact quote was "it is a valve muncher and I have seen them break around 125K; I would replace around 105K with the idlers and water pump."

Also, Autodata (page 868) lists the 2004 3MZ-FE engine as an Interference Engine.

BTW, he wanted me to add, "Oh, the valves don't bend, they break, the tops fall off, lay in the cylinder and they will destroy the heads and pistons"

Last edited by cdnewton; 07-11-11 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added statement

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a timing belt break?