RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Has anyone had a timing belt break?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 10:02 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alchemist
Are you sure this was not the serpentine belt? TB breaking at highway rpms would have grenaded the motor. His valves would have been bouncing off the pistons unless he magically turned the car off seconds before it happened
Is this back to the old 'interference motor or not' discussion? If the story is true, the 'non-interference' argument will be thus proven correct.
Old 01-20-14, 12:06 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl
Is this back to the old 'interference motor or not' discussion? If the story is true, the 'non-interference' argument will be thus proven correct.
I have access to ALLDATA and the 3MZFE tech manual, trust me unlike the 1MZ our motors are interference
Old 01-20-14, 12:54 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have access to ALLDATA and the 3MZFE tech manual, trust me unlike the 1MZ our motors are interference
Under ALL conditions?
Old 01-20-14, 05:32 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Under ALL conditions?
At startup or engine shut off (lower engine speeds) you may get lucky with only broken valve guides. Or if a belt breaks and only slides to the side. But remember our engines, designed for high compression are made to where the valves and pistons occupy the same space but at different times in order to maximize engine performance. Therefore, a disruption in crankshaft/camshaft timing will almost always result in piston/valve connection
Old 01-20-14, 11:56 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljcl

Simply not true ... the 3.3L V6 is an interference engine. I am friends with a Master Toyota tech and he has repaired an engine that experienced a timing belt failure at around 125K ... he said it when it broke, the engine had bent valves and was very costly.

On a related note, I had a 1984 Honda Accord that had an interference engine and the timing belt broke while I was driving on the highway (while passing someone); I had it towed to the shop and there was no engine damage. My wife had an Audi 5000 (interference engine) and the belt broke while at a stop sign, again no engine damage.

I guess the moral is, you may get lucky ... then again, you may not ... if it bends valves, it will be an expensive repair. As with anything, YMMV.

Last edited by cdnewton; 01-20-14 at 05:57 PM. Reason: fixed sentence
Old 01-20-14, 04:09 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Just so you know, the 1MZ engines with VVT-I are interference.

But, no point in discussing that here as this is about the 3MZ-FE, which is also interference.
Old 01-23-14, 07:05 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieZ
I never, ever heard of a timing belt breaking on anything ever.
Hang out with some Audi drivers. I wouldn't call it common, but it's not uncommon either.

The original service interval for my A4 was 105K. Audi has been progressively lowering that number as more and more failed short of that mark. I think they are down to 70K. I bought mine with 110K, knowing it needed a TB, and the belt was definitely on it's last leg. Very dry rotted and cracked, but no missing teeth.
Old 01-23-14, 07:16 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghuns
Hang out with some Audi drivers. I wouldn't call it common, but it's not uncommon either.

The original service interval for my A4 was 105K. Audi has been progressively lowering that number as more and more failed short of that mark. I think they are down to 70K. I bought mine with 110K, knowing it needed a TB, and the belt was definitely on it's last leg. Very dry rotted and cracked, but no missing teeth.
Happened to a friend of mine in his A4 coming back from a trip. But his car's issue as well as the majority of these were tensioner issues not belt issues which I believe there is a pending class action lawsuit against Audi to resolve. Either way sux nonetheless. If the tensioner or water pump fail, it usually destroys the belt.
Old 01-23-14, 07:26 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Happened to a friend of mine in his A4 coming back from a trip. But his car's issue as well as the majority of these were tensioner issues not belt issues which I believe there is a pending class action lawsuit against Audi to resolve. Either way sux nonetheless. If the tensioner or water pump fail, it usually destroys the belt.
Lots of water pump seizures as well. German engineering.

I live with hazards of driving my A4 because we have the RX350, which thus far has NEVER been broken. Well, that, and it's fun as hell.

My wife loves my A4 and hinted around about getting rid of her RX and getting one for her to drive. I told her, HELL NO! We need one bulletproof car in the family. Between my Audi, my son's Acura, and my old 86 Chevy farm truck, I have enough car repair work to fill my weekends from now on.
Old 01-23-14, 07:31 AM
alchemist
Instructor

Lots of water pump seizures as well. German engineering.

I live with hazards of driving my A4 because we have the RX350, which thus far has NEVER been broken. Well, that, and it's fun as hell.

My wife loves my A4 and hinted around about getting rid of her RX and getting one for her to drive. I told her, HELL NO! We need one bulletproof car in the family. Between my Audi, my son's Acura, and my old 86 Chevy farm truck, I have enough car repair work to fill my weekends from now on.
Just tell your wife what I told mine - she gets a new car when hers hits 250k miles. It needs to make it through a 3 year old and newborn first!
Old 01-23-14, 07:39 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Just tell your wife what I told mine - she gets a new car when hers hits 250k miles. It needs to make it through a 3 year old and newborn first!
You are too generous. I'm holdin out for 300K.
Old 01-23-14, 09:09 AM
alchemist
Instructor

You are too generous. I'm holdin out for 300K.
haha...it is that or I tell my 3-year old she gets the car when she's 16 so it may have 350k on it by then

Old 01-23-14, 09:25 AM
ghuns
Pit Crew

haha...it is that or I tell my 3-year old she gets the car when she's 16 so it may have 350k on it by then

I recently saw a RX300 for sale that was in the 340Ks. Gives me hope.
Old 01-23-14, 05:06 PM
sgmstr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salimshah
I keep reminding folks ...

Look at the bigger picture .. by postponing from 90k to 110k (pick your own number for your calculations) how many timing belt changes would you save (all number in k miles)
90, 180, 270, 360, 450
110, 220, 340, 450,

Math shows you 5 vs 4 replacements and now add reality ... would you still be owning the vehicle?
Also pay attention to the various things in the drive train.

Salim
Agree with this.

Changed them out at 80K/121months. Didn't want to take any chance with $1000 job (TB, WP, Intake Gasket and Spark Plugs all Lexus parts) vs. towing the car to the junk yard.

Also I plan to get rid of it in 10 year and I'll probably have the TB/WP changed once anyways. So why not change now and enjoy with peace of mind.
Old 01-23-14, 05:53 PM
rtbrjason
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got an 04 with 73k on it and didn't plan to do any major work on this car. I have 2 other cars that I'm always working on so got this as a daily driver and to eventually give my daughter. After reading this I'm starting to consider maybe just doing it in the next few thousand miles.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had a timing belt break?