RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX330 Air Suspension problem - solved

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-11, 06:45 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 64 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RX330 Air Suspension problem - solved

2004 Rx330 W/ performance package and Air Suspension

I am posting this so people may have another thread to view and help diagnose their air suspension issue.
About a week and a half ago noticed the issue. Car began to bounce like I was on a bull in a rodeo. Noticed two from Struts were significantly lower than rear. Front left was about an inch lower than front right (though both were lower than rear.
Other symptoms: Height Control switch would work sometimes, sometimes not. OFF LIGHT NEVER CAME ON OR FLASHED, only came on when I manually pressed off button.
Pump was working and you could here it working.
Front struts would raise on occasion, and WOULD EVEN HOLD HEIGHT OVER NIGHT, but would go down if I drove any significant distance.
As time went on an problem progressed, it became less likely that pump would raise front end.
Height Adjustment switch would fail to go to LOW setting but would Go to N or High Setting but the green light would stay solid and simply go from N to H with out flashing (flashing indicates normal function of pump trying to raise car levels).

I eventually noticed a hiss from front left strut. That coupled with that strut being lower triggered my theory that it was a bad front left air strut.

Purchased strut for 870$ US and installed it today. After installation, EVERY WHEEL WENT COMPLETELY LOW. Switch for height adjustment would NOT work.

Disconnected battery for 15 minutes and reconnected. Started car and finally heard pump running and car began to raise. Reset window controls (holding switches down manually down and up) and test drove. Problem solved. Air Suspension fixed.

Main issue was determining if it was height sensor, pump, or strut.

Love my ride with my 18 inch chrome wheels on air, but I certainly hope I don't have to replace many more of those.

Last edited by HtownBlue; 03-09-11 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ackapolley (01-06-21)
Old 03-09-11, 06:48 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job, fixing your air suspension issue.

I have a stupid question: How would someone know if they have air suspension or not?
Old 03-09-11, 07:00 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

If you look under the wheel well, you will either see a spring surrounding the strut (Most common set up in nearly every car) or you will see a Bag with NO SPRING as you follow the strut tube up towards the hood.
If I knew how to insert pics into this thread, I would post a picture of both, but you can google image search and see the clear difference.
Old 03-10-11, 06:40 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

thanks for the post, i too have an 04 with air suspension, and am a little worried about the system crapping out.

good to see that you onlt had to do the affected corner.

did you replace the left front yourself? if so, was it difficult? how long did it take you?
Old 03-10-11, 07:25 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you try to disconnect the battery before you installed the new strut?
Old 03-10-11, 08:18 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Kiwi,
Yes I replaced it myself. Wasn't too difficult. Just make sure you have an impact wrench or a breaker bar for the bolts that connect the strut to the hub / rotor etc. That was the most difficult part. You don't need a spring compressor like a common spring strut. Fairly simple bolt on/bolt off application.

Adam,

I tried everything. I could hear the leak though after several days of it acting up. Started with a faint hiss then a far more audible hiss as the problem acted up worse and worse. With the air bags the rubber can have a leak that is erratic with the leak due to the way the bag folds and rolls to open at certain heights. That was my issue.
Old 03-28-11, 03:25 PM
Nakamichi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Htown, it's good that you've got that fixed.

But another common issue for air suspension is that the sensor will deteriorate after time. Mine is an 04 as well and the right rear sensor (passenger side) has been fixed for 4 times. My mechanic said if it goes one more time, I have to replace it, which is around $500 CAD for one sensor. So I'll keep my fingers crossed hopefully it won't happen but yea, it was a bad experience every time when the sensor goes wrong!
Old 04-27-11, 09:26 PM
wiltontr
Driver School Candidate

I also have a 2004 RX330 with air supension, just notice today that the lelf side of the vehicle is lower than the right both front & back, but only in N setting, it seem to be level at the L setting, anyone have seen this issued before, please HELP, Thanks
Old 04-27-11, 09:52 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Wiltontr,

You have a height sensor issue. The sensor controls the height level on the right and left side of the vehicle independently. Have the sensors replaced or checked. You can search the forums for the similar issue you have. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-11, 10:01 PM
wiltontr
Driver School Candidate

Htownblue
Thanks, do you know how much it cost to have it check or replace, thanks
Old 04-28-11, 06:59 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by adam8065
How would someone know if they have air suspension or not?
For the RX series a few ways:

1) You will notice a switch on the lower part of the dash (same panel where the cigarette lighter is located) that has a picture of an SUV picture and an up and down arrow

2) You might have a emblem on the back/side of the cars that says AIRS

3) Look at the struct and you will see something similar to this

Old 04-28-11, 08:22 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

How is the ride with those air suspensions? Stiff? My stepdad had a 1984 (bought new in 84) Lincoln mark 7 the ones that looked like a glorafied Cougar. That car rode like it was on a cloud.
Old 04-28-11, 08:15 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
How is the ride with those air suspensions? Stiff? My stepdad had a 1984 (bought new in 84) Lincoln mark 7 the ones that looked like a glorafied Cougar. That car rode like it was on a cloud.
The ride was maybe a little rougher than the RX without air suspension. Steering was different too, a bit tighter. There is another button to the left of the steering wheel to lower the RX when getting out. It does automatically lower when the car is turned off. It had a distinct noise to it. The button to turn off the air suspension is under the steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails RX330 Air Suspension problem - solved-img_0011.jpg   RX330 Air Suspension problem - solved-dsc00192.jpg  
Old 04-29-11, 06:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

^^ I thought I heard someone mention there RX with air suspension rode a little stiff. I dont know what kind of air set up was on my step dad`s Lincoln, but like I said that thing was a dream to drive.
Old 05-01-11, 09:21 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I noticed that My parent's Benz has air suspension, every time I would get out of the car, I would hear the it lowering itself.

Quick Reply: RX330 Air Suspension problem - solved