RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2008 RX 400h stereo replacement / system redesign

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 12:35 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 RX 400h stereo replacement / system redesign

Hello RX Second Generation colleagues -

I am the proud owner of a newly used 2008 RX 400h with factory nav/bluetooth and premium sound system (not ML) who is looking for a solution to vastly improving the sound quality and ipod integration (or lack thereof) provided for in my vehicle. I recently posted a new thread in the Audio, Video, Security & Electronics forum regarding some questions I had with replacing the stereo equipment.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...s-rx-400h.html

Since my inquiry is somewhat model specific, I thought I would re-post the link here to see if I could get any input from any of you RX Second Generation owners on this topic. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 01-20-11, 01:29 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Welcome

Chitownduc

Welcome to Clublexus. Just a couple of tips.

Search Google prior to posting any questions. If you have no luck.

Use the search function on Clublexus. It is outstanding.

Every question you could possibly think of asking. Ever. Has already been answered.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...06-rx400h.html

You want you to upgrade your stereo like this?

Try this web page for the face plate. And wiring adaptor.

http://beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-sla-82a.html
Attached Thumbnails 2008 RX 400h stereo replacement / system redesign-kenwwod.jpg  
Old 01-20-11, 08:57 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips MC5Wes. I appreciate you helping out a newbie like me at CL. I believe I'm a little further along at this point than I originally posted, so here's the deal.

I recently purchased an install kit from beat sonic, but I have found users on this forum reporting incompatibility issues with the factory nav screen and steering wheel. I mentioned this to beat sonic and they sent me a kit that isn't yet posted to their website that they call the RX-82.

I now need to decide whether to buy a double din (was preferring the INA-900bt or soon to be 910 as I believe it has the best UI for navigating music from ipod) or work around the factory radio. It was recommended by another CL user I check out the JBL MS-8 sound processor and Vaistech ML plus for ipod integration as an alternative to replacing the stock stereo. The return policy on a lot of this stuff is not good, so I am being a little more pragmatic than usual about choosing the solution before buying more hardware. As I'm sure you know, the $$ add up quickly with car audio.

Q: After your install, did you lose any of the factory nav or steering wheel functionality?

Is your pioneer double din fully compatible with all the buttons on the steering wheel?

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong someone) that bluetooth buttons on the steering wheel are not compatible with the alpine INA-900bt.

btw - very nice setup!
Old 01-20-11, 08:14 PM
MC5Wes

Default Stereo Upgrade

The kit I installed in my RX lasted about 3 hours. The Beatsonic kits dont work with the Mark Levinson system that my car has. It was nice for an afternoon. Good sound and iPhone hook up. But I lost all functions in my car. Including the Air Conditioning.
Old 01-20-11, 10:51 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MC5Wes
The kit I installed in my RX lasted about 3 hours. The Beatsonic kits dont work with the Mark Levinson system that my car has. It was nice for an afternoon. Good sound and iPhone hook up. But I lost all functions in my car. Including the Air Conditioning.
ouch! Did you find another kit that was compatible with your vehicle?
Old 01-21-11, 04:36 PM
MC5Wes

Default Nav Update

With the Mark Levinson and Rear Entertainment System. You have to have the Audio control head installed. As it runs everything.

The only option is to extend the wiring to the audio control panel. And stuff it under the dash. Then install the Double DIN.
Old 01-21-11, 05:46 PM
rlexusj
Driver School Candidate

I am sorry for butting in but the statement about losing everything including the Ac made me laugh. The same would happen to me as I simply am trying to get accurate info on the front door speakers for a 2004 rx330 with the ML system. My wife's car that I was able to make nearly everything not work simply wiring a radar det. into the system. I am very careful now since I can't take the verbal abuse I got.
Old 01-21-11, 06:17 PM
MC5Wes

Default Stereo

The Mark Levinson audio control head has the video processor. So when you disconnect it. You lose the connections. And on top of that it also connects the rear DVD audio and video.

To hook up a radar detector. You just need power and a ground. On my old RX300 I picked it up off the sunroof motor power connector in the roof. Then put the detector in the sunglaases holder.
Old 01-21-11, 11:52 PM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

With the Mark Levinson and Rear Entertainment System. You have to have the Audio control head installed. As it runs everything.

The only option is to extend the wiring to the audio control panel. And stuff it under the dash. Then install the Double DIN.
Does anyone know whether this same limitation applies to the the non-Mark Levinson systems?
Old 01-22-11, 06:19 AM
MC5Wes

Default Stereo Upgrade

The Beatsonic kit works with non Mark Levinson stereos. They just have audio going through the control head.

The Mark Levinson has the DVD Video Processor. They others dont.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 RX 400h stereo replacement / system redesign-beat1.jpg   2008 RX 400h stereo replacement / system redesign-beat2.jpg   2008 RX 400h stereo replacement / system redesign-beat3.jpg  
Old 01-24-11, 09:39 AM
chitownduc
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

The Beatsonic kit works with non Mark Levinson stereos. They just have audio going through the control head.

The Mark Levinson has the DVD Video Processor. They others dont.
Thanks for the pics/explanation MC5wes. Do you mean that with my vehicle configuration, I could retain the audio functions built into the factory nav/bluetooth in my system? I'd really like to pinpoint (i.e. be very clear as to) exactly how the factory touch screen and aftermarket stereo would operate/integrate side by side.

I had previously thought that that if I had the aftermarket stereo installed, the audio wiring would need to bipass the built-in factory touch screen and connect directly to the stereo. This would cause the following factory features to know longer function:
-built-in factory bluetooth
-built-in factory navigation audio (i.e. voice)
-built-in factory touch screen sounds (e.g. beep sound when tapping a button)

In the meantime, I'm moving forward on replacing the speakers, adding a sub and amps while I figure out whether replacing the factor HU is the best choice for me.
Old 01-24-11, 10:36 AM
MC5Wes

Default Stereo Upgrade

Since I have only tried this on a Mark Levinson car. I would not be the best to offer advice.

But if you want to see what happens. Just pull the Head Unit out of your car. And see what happens. The Navigation should work. And all of the other functions as well. Not sure about the Blue Tooth.

On the Beatsonic kit. You are are just picking up power and speakers. And using the existing wiring. I dont think it works with the original amp.

If it was me. I would just buy the face plate. And start from scratch on the whole stereo. Leaving the original wiring alone. And if you sell the car. You can put it back to original.
Old 05-19-14, 08:06 AM
IS250Josh
Driver School Candidate

So, when I unplugged the middle of the 3 radio harnesses my nav and touch screen went black I couldn't use my climate control or anything on my touch screen. Is there a harness I'm missing or just a jumper wire? I currently have the axxess TYT0-01 amp adapter but it only has the main harness plug. how did you make both units work? I know the sound wont work from the nav and all the beeps but that's not a concern. I just want to be able to use my control on the touch screen.
Old 05-19-14, 07:57 PM
IS250Josh
Driver School Candidate

So i found a post somewhere else that a guy used his old stock stereo and took it apart down the the board to just plug in the one harness that controls the nav, climate etc.. well instead of destroying my stock expensive stereo I tried a scion xb 6 disk stock deck i had laying around and it worked perfectly fine. i will be installing the system tomorrow along with the headrest monitors. CL forums are amazing! thanks for all of the info guys and gals.

if you want to see pics of the cheap route take a look at this article. btw you will still need the TYT0-01 kit for amp integration, I'm not really worried about the wheel controls as i never use them..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...imate-etc.html