RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

XM Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 09:21 AM
twigglem
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Installation Questions

I am looking to install XM in 08 RX and have a few questions. I have read through the various threads on this subject but still have a couple of questions.
I am curious as to what the difference is between the XM reciever from Vais Technology and the factory XM reciever. I have read that with the Vais you get 16 character read out as opposed to 10 with the factory XM. Is that the only difference? Is there an advantage with either one (sound, ease of installation, integration) I would also like to install an ipod adapter while I have the radio out, is that possible if installing an XM reciever, I have seen the adapter with Sirius installations but have not seen any with the XM.
Finally, I have read through the installation instuctions provided in this forum and also the ones at Sewell Lexus and am comfortable with the installation aside from running the antenna. I definitely do not want to take seats out and the rear bumper off! I have read a couple of posts where people have run the antenna to the back without doing this. I am curious if anyone knows how to do this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!
Steve
Old 10-01-10, 08:05 AM
twigglem
Driver School Candidate

Any suggestions on where to buy the XM receiver?
Thanks!
Old 10-01-10, 09:29 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy the OEM receiver from Sewell a board sponsor w/ the club lexus/sewell discount.

I didn't take out the rear seats or the bumper off. It's a bit of a PITA mounting the receiver in it's location w/ the seats in place but it's doable. To do so you'll need either a flexible nut driver & extension or universal joint and extension for a socket wrench. When running the antenna, just tuck it behind the interior trim. Can't remember specifically where I took it from low to high in the cargo area but you'll be able to find a spot. To get it outside, pull down the rear door gasket a few inches. Use a hand punch (you could drill it too) to notch a spot for the wire to cross over the welded sheet metal joint from inside to outside the vehicle. Round the sharp edges down and put a few wraps of duct tape around the antenna wire where it'll lay in the notch. Put the wire in the notch and push the gasket back up into place. Bunch up the excess wire at the receiver location.

Only other tip is to be very careful when removing the bolts for the head unit. A magnetized nutdriver is helpful but you can also improvise w/ some duct tape or 3M foam trim adhesive tape inside the nut driver. To reinstall, just secure the bolt to the nut driver using the old plastic bag trick

Good luck
Old 10-01-10, 10:09 AM
twigglem
Driver School Candidate

Thanks BurgBoxstr!
I am going to order one from Sewell and give it a try and post my results. Do you know if you can add and an auxiliary input for ipod as well as have the xm installed?
Thanks!
Old 10-01-10, 10:32 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

yes, you can easily add an auxiliary input.

click here <--VAIS multimedia linq application guide.

Last edited by LZMF1; 10-01-10 at 12:02 PM.