GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius or XM - what say you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 01:22 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sirius or XM - what say you?

I'd like to install satellite radio in my '07 GS350 (doesn't have ML but do have the shark fin). Since both companies have merged, does it matter whether I specify XM or Sirius? If I wanted to listen to Howard Stern, must I install Sirius? With the exception of Stern, I assume either choice has an abundance of programming available (I prefer listening to 60s music, classic rock and political/topical issues).

Also, any ideas what it would cost to install via a dealership? Or can I use a third party (i.e. Al and Eds) for the install? I know little about satellite radio and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-11, 02:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to go OEM its XM for Lexus, you can get Sirius channels on XM. Good news is XM is willing to discount their service and if you call Sirius they wont. I found out with my new ride when I called XM and they said I had to call Sirius since that is what Audi uses. XM was $5 per month and Sirius was $19 per month...so I just use the iPod.

This is an easy DIY install. Its pre-wired in your trunk. Sewell can get you the parts you need. So any side shop can do this if you dont want to yourself.
Old 06-06-11, 10:50 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RX came with Sirus & they have discounted my acount many times.
Old 06-07-11, 06:34 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Can anyone else offer input on the question I asked?
Old 06-07-11, 07:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes no difference. XM switched to the Sirius channel line up last month.
Old 06-07-11, 07:13 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

To be more precise the companies merged 2-3 years ago, and they progressively merged the channel line ups. As of last month they both have identical channel line ups with identical channel numbers.

It was confusing because all the channel numbers changed on XM.
Old 06-07-11, 07:16 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The car is prewired so anyone can install XM. Most dealers price it competitively but you can get quotes.

My kit was dealer installed Lexus kit and it cost $450 installed. It was tacked onto the purchase price since I had it done prior to buying the car.
Old 06-07-11, 07:34 PM
omegagavin
Driver

Originally Posted by *Batman*
To be more precise the companies merged 2-3 years ago, and they progressively merged the channel line ups. As of last month they both have identical channel line ups with identical channel numbers.

It was confusing because all the channel numbers changed on XM.
I have an XM package in my GS400 and Howard Stern in not in the lineup. You have to pay extra for him, I suppose. All I listen to is the Virus for Ron and Fez and Opie and Anthony for the most part. The Golf Channel on occasion.
Old 06-08-11, 06:20 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Bottom line is it doesn't matter whether I have Sirius or XM installed. They are one in the same with the same channels available (and I assume for the same price).
Old 06-08-11, 06:31 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by omegagavin
I have an XM package in my GS400 and Howard Stern in not in the lineup. You have to pay extra for him, I suppose. All I listen to is the Virus for Ron and Fez and Opie and Anthony for the most part. The Golf Channel on occasion.
As of May 4th Howard Stern is Channel 101 on both XM and Sirius. But you have to have the right package.
Old 06-08-11, 06:35 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Bottom line is it doesn't matter whether I have Sirius or XM installed. They are one in the same with the same channels available (and I assume for the same price).
Exactly. For Radio - Same channels, same price.

I don't know if the bundle discount on XM Traffic/Weather + XM Radio applies also to XM Traffic/Weather + Sirius Radio.
Old 06-08-11, 07:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its not the same price...I had XM in all of my previous cars. The Audi has Sirius and they want more and will not budge on price. XM offered me $5/month and then said they cant, even with the merge, set up my service. I had to call Sirius and they were terrible to deal with IMO...
Old 06-09-11, 10:26 AM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I always felt Lexus was too sophisticated to allow Stern's sewage. Now an Escalade on the other hand...
Old 06-10-11, 06:03 AM
Corey140
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bushwack
Not true.

They may share the same channel numbers for alot of stuff but they are major differences between the 2 systems.

Sirius has a channel limit of 128 for some older systems so they can't exceed that limit. XM doesnt. Due to that reasoning, Sirius does not have the Clear Channels with commericals that are on XM nor do they have The Groove, Cinemagic and The Village. They remain XM exclusives for now.

Just makes more sense to go with XM unless you want a specific sports brand. NFL is on Sirius only. Same for Baseball on XM. Not sure how Basketball works.

You can compare their channel listing here

http://www.siriusxm.com/pdf/11-1524_SIR_WebLUs_5_4.pdf

http://www.siriusxm.com/pdf/11-1524_XM_WebLUs_5_4.pdf

Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-11, 12:36 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

I would go with XM and get the XM with best of Sirius package. But it really depends on whether you want sports or music. If sports then XM has baseball college football and basketball and Sirus has football and hockey so with XM with Best of Sirus you get all sports. However if you go with Sirius with Best of XM you do not get baseball or college football (something about the way Sirius's satellites are set up). If you want just music I still think the XM with Best of Sirius gives you more channels but it is more of a push. I do have my Lexus with the XM package and my wife has a mini cooper with Sirius.

Quick Reply: Sirius or XM - what say you?