RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just replaced my Brake Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 09:57 AM
DFWTxRx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced my Brake Light Switch

I just wanted to post up about replacing my brake light switch on my '04 RX330. I was getting about 8 warning lights mostly brake/traction related that would come on... when you shut the car off and turn it back on they would go away. When I first got the car it would only happen once a week... then once a day... and finally it would happen after about 20 miles every time you would drive the car. I bought the part for $22 at Autozone as opposed to $150 from the local Lexus dealer (Sewell). The part looks similar but it is different so hopefully it will last longer than the ones coming from the dealer.

The switch was easy to find under the dash but was EXTREMELY difficult to get to. After forcing my hand up there and getting it knicked and cut up without any luck I almost gave up. I decided to try and remove the panel right in front of your knees to see if that helped. There is a phillips head screw on the bottom right side behind a "flap" that folds out with a small flat head screwdriver. On the bottom left side there is a 10mm bolt that is accessable by gently pulling the kickpanel back away from the door sill. Once these two items are removed you can gently pry the "knee panel" straight out away from the metal plate and airbag.

There a bunch of wires keeping it from coming all the way off but when you lay down on the floor to replace the switch you can simply use your forearm to push the panel up and will allow you much more access to the switch to loosen the 14mm bolt. The easiest way to access the bolt is to position the wrench above the black plastic ac vent. Only loosen it enough so that the switch will rotate. Rotate the switch so that the "button" on the harness can be pushed in by your thump and removed and then unscrew the switch all the way.

The reason you don't want to loosen the bolt on the switch enough to turn it is you want to make sure the bolt on the new switch is in about the same place so you will have a better idea of how much to screw in the new switch to the socket.

Once you have it set up screw the new switch into the socket where you think it is about the same as the old one. make the bolt snug.. not all the way tight and re-attach the harness. You will need to test the switch before tightening it down all the way and putting the panel back on. I did this by pulling the RX in the garage and shutting the door.. that way it was very easy to see when the brake light came on. The brake light should come on when you gently push the pedal.

Once this is adjusted properly tighten the bolt up as tight as you can get it and re-install the panel. One issue I ran into was the car wouldn't go into gear when I was testing it... turned out that while I heard a click installing the harness it wasn't all the way in.. make sure you check that. All in all.. once I figured out the panel removal trick it took about 15 minutes to replace the switch. I just wanted to post this up since I hadn't found much detail on this topic before. Option number two is to take it to Lexus and have it replaced. Sewell Lexus wanted $150 for the part and $200 for labor!
Old 02-11-10, 10:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have the exact same condition and have an appointment with Lexus today. At least I know somebody's done it and it is doable.

Can you give us the part number for the SW? I know it would be hard to take pics, but sure would have helped a ton.

Thanks for the post.
Old 02-11-10, 10:22 AM
DFWTxRx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I have the exact same condition and have an appointment with Lexus today. At least I know somebody's done it and it is doable.

Can you give us the part number for the SW? I know it would be hard to take pics, but sure would have helped a ton.

Thanks for the post.
Is your car still under warranty? Don't take it to Lexus if it isn't!! I have read online that depending on the dealer it is a $300-500 job! It was very easy to do. I will see about pictures when it stops snowing. Very straight forward though as far as the panel..

Duralast Stoplight Switch part number JA475
Old 02-11-10, 10:54 AM
mandyfig

Thanks, I have extended warranty.

If they will charge me, I will refuse the repair. And will do it myself.

The the new SW look like the old one?
Old 02-11-10, 12:16 PM
mandyfig

Well I am sitting out here in the dealership waiting on the repair. Lexus Platinum warranty has approved the Brake SW repair and my mirror issue (works half the time on reverse, just freezes).

1.5 hours work. Plus I have been here 45 minutes.
Old 02-11-10, 04:59 PM
mandyfig

The Brake SW was replaced. $63 labor and $62 part. But I think this is the negotiated rate for the Lexus Platinum warranty.

They replaced my side mirror which was defective. That cost a bunch. The side mirror was $489. Labor at $32.

All charged on my warranty.

But here's the not so good part. They did not assemble the door panel correctly. It is not sitting flushed and it is missing a clip. WHAT??????

I am a bit diasppointed. I will need to go back and get it repaired.

Double work.
Old 02-12-10, 07:58 AM
mandyfig

I had it done this morning.

The lesson learned is:

Inspect your car before you leave the dealership.

1st of all you do not want to make another trip back. You will be cursing on the way to the dealer, most of all if they are 20+ miles from you.

2nd, it is better that way so you can let them know whatever is unsatisfactory and give them a chance to correct it on the spot. And you leaving happy.

You do not want to be fuming mad because you were not 100% satisfied.

What can I say, the level of service is so unpredictable now. Even with our Lexus dealers. Maybe I just had a NOT SO GOOD Service Tech. What a shame though. I am pretty sure my case is not isolated.

I love my other TECH. My Service Advisor is superb though!
Old 02-14-10, 01:52 AM
markpaco
Rookie

I had this replaced on my wife's RX after numerous warning lights came up intermittently on the dash after driving it. It ended up being due to a faulty brake light switch which is covered under a recall. The car is no longer under warranty but was covered by the recall.

Electrical & Lights: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH
Campaign Number: 04V558000
Dates Manufactured: 02/2003 to 09/2004
Number of Vehicles Affected: 183,090
Model Years Affected: 2004
Date Owner Notified: 12/2004
Defect Summary: CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES MAY BE EQUIPPED WITH AN IMPROPERLY DESIGNED BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH. A SILICON OXIDE BUILD-UP OCCURS ON THE CONTACTS INSIDE THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH, WHICH CAN MAKE IT INOPERABLE.

Consequence Summary: IF THE SWITCH IS INOPERABLE, THE BRAKE LIGHTS WILL NOT ILLUMINATE AND CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH. THE RECALL BEGAN DURING DECEMBER 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Recall Notes: TOYOTA RECALL NO. SSC 40/LEXUS RECALL NO. SSC 4LH.CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
Old 02-14-10, 09:47 AM
DFWTxRx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markpaco
I had this replaced on my wife's RX after numerous warning lights came up intermittently on the dash after driving it. It ended up being due to a faulty brake light switch which is covered under a recall. The car is no longer under warranty but was covered by the recall.
Mine was replaced by the original owner at the dealer and was covered by the warranty/recall.. The dealer told me that it wouldn't be covered under warranty this time but that if I talked to the Service Manager I may be able to get the part at cost and a discount on the labor. Once I found out the part was $24 I decided it would be easier to take care of it myself.
Old 02-20-10, 09:53 PM
waza8i78
Driver School Candidate

The brake switch is covered under RECALL!! My warranty ran out and have no extended warranty. Just had my replaced 2/12/10! Don't pay nothing!
Old 04-07-11, 09:17 AM
brynwill
Driver School Candidate

I just replaced my brake light switch..brake lights would sometimes not illuminate..and then sometimes could not get my car out of park..it's a small part behind the brake pedal..I went to an independent mechanic and the total was a tad under $100.00 to get it replaced..this was on my 2002 430 sc
Old 01-11-13, 07:22 AM
Merf
Driver School Candidate

Cool Replaced my switch too

With the help of this Forum and the great post by DWFTxRx I replaced my brake light switch because of the random dashboard "christmas tree" effect. I purchased a Beck Arnley 201-1566 swicth on eBay for under $20. Don't buy this switch!! It was a little longer at the top than the OEM swich and there wasn't enough room at the top to plug in the harness connector when adjusted properly. I had to grind off some of the blue plastic shroud on the switch to get it in there and hooked up. Probably not a good idea because I ground away the area that clip locks the harness in. Regardless I made sure it was in there firmly and put it back together. Thought everything would be hunkey dorey. That was last weekend. Now I have a new problem! I drive about 20 miles to work every day. About 15 miles is highway and I use my cruise control. The last few miles on either end of the trip is stop and go. My green cruise control light has took to randomly flashing about once a day during the stop and go at the end of my commute. If I turn the cruise off and back on again, it will stay on solid.
I plan on going to a local auto parts store to see if I can get get another switch matching the OEM length and replacing it again. Will post again in a couple weeks with results.
Old 01-11-13, 05:29 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 17 Posts

Merf,

The cruise control is automatically shut OFF through the brake switch activation. The switch is "live" all the time and the mecahnism simly connects a circuit thus turning on brake lights and shutting off CC etc. etc.

If this voltage is not proper with the new switch, or the connection is improper or misconnected, you will get a false "on".

I too replaced my switch with the aftermarket. I did not modify the switch that was too long. I simply bit the bullet and bought the OEM form Lexus IIRC.

I would reccomend the same friend.
Old 04-07-13, 08:32 PM
thannguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Just installed the brake light switch

Thanks for the previous posts. I tried to replace the brake light switch on my 2007 Lexus RX350 today and it was quite easy so I would like to share the experience with everyone. Basically, the floor panel does not need to be taken out. The only thing need to take out is the spring that kooks on to the brake pedal (just unhook it ... a snap). The key thing here to remember is that I initially tried to use a regular size 14mm wrench and it seems impossible to to so. Instead, I went to Autozone and bought a 14mm "stubby wrench" (sold in set that costs $10). This wrench is ONLY about 4 inches long and that will allow the wrench to turn easily for the job. Just lay on the floor and try to put the wrench in place of the bolt, and when you can feel that it locks into place, starts to turn with your right hand without even looking at the wrench. Just loosen the bolt a little bit and then rotate the switch with bare hand all the way out. Then unhook the electrical harness and then the replacement is just the reverse. Remember to note how far the old bolt is in place before replacing the new one. That's it !!! I initially struggled over an hour without luck, but after using the stubby wrench from Autozone, the job took about 10 minutes ! I feel that I can do another one in less than 15 minutes. So, try to do it yourself !
Old 06-24-13, 05:29 PM
mcftlf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me too...

I have this same thing going on with my 2004 RX. It's been happening a while but today it happened while I had time to run it to the Toyota dealer. I made it to the dealership with all the lights still on...and the tire monitor blinking. I tell them I have been reading on ClubLexus that it's the stop light switch...and they look at me like I had a third eye right in the middle of my forehead. They wanted 79.95 to check the car....OK...They keep the car 20 minutes or so and come back and tell me its the stop light switch and that they can order the part and fix it for $325....but they will have to order the part...80 plus 325 = $400 for a 30 dollar part.

I guess my question is...I see that a post on here say the Beck/Arnley Stop Light Switch is not an exact fit. Advance says it is a "exact fit"....and its $27. Your help I appreciated

Quick Reply: Just replaced my Brake Light Switch