RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Just replaced my Brake Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 06:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

i have heard good results with B/A aftermarket brake switch.
Old 06-25-13, 03:41 PM
SaneEnch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Autozone and pick up the part for under $30. I'm fortunately enough to have to replace the part twice! Once under warranty, using original part at the dealer, once on my own using the Duralast part. The OEM part is made in China, while the Duralast part I got is made in Italy. The OEM part failed twice in 3 years. The Duralast part is still going strong after installed it for over 2 years now. Go figure!

Replacing the unit it is a bit of a pain, cause you have to crawl under the dashboard, and you'll have to have a small hang to get in there. All I have to say is that, the right tool will makes a different here.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=124121_0_0_
Old 07-08-13, 12:40 PM
mcftlf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The rest of the story....

I ended up calling Lexus due to the brake light switch being a recalled item. I came to find out they had already replaced the brake light switch in 2011. (its hell to get old) Lexus made a good faith offer to fix the brake light switch for me as long as I went to a Lexus dealership to get it done...no problem!. Great customer service!. Thanks Lexus!

So I took the car to Lexus and the service guy tells me that my problem is not the brake light switch but instead when I got new tires the shop failed to put my sensors back on my wheels (valve stem sensors). I told him I had done quite a bit of reading on this issue and felt pretty sure that this was a brake light sensor issue...and I don't remember this vehicle ever having sensors in the valve stem. He assured me this was the issue and called and got me prices on 4 new sensors for the wheels.....almost 1K!

I was close to the Sam's Club that put my tires on so I left to climb on them. As I get to Sam's Club I notice all the lights are back on the panel. So I turn around and drive back to the dealership...wait for the service guy to get done with another customer and then tell him... All the lights indicating stop light switch issue are on now. He shrugs it off and says "yea...due to the valve stem sensors not being on the truck.

Back to Sam's Club...where the tire technician seems offended by my accusation that they must have left the sensors off of my truck. He takes the keys and says he will take a look and is gone for about 10 minutes. He comes back and tells me...2004's do not have valve stem sensors...the 2004's use the ABS to check the tire pressure....

Back to the Lexus store....wait about 20 minutes while the service guy waits on another customer. After my story he calls the service manager who confirms that the 2004's do not have valve stem sensors... ( but I guess you could buy them for a grand?)

Of course....now the lights are not on but they take it back and tell me they will see what they can find. its now 11:30 and I am just getting my car in for my 9am appointment. He calls my an hour or so later and says "its the stop light switch".

After my day In the dealership my brake light switch was replaced. My wife and I take a trip to the mountains for a few days...sitting at a red light when I felt the truck suddenly left off the back wheels and realize we have been hit in the rear end......

To make a long story shorter....we are now driving a KIA Optima rental while we look for a new vehicle...2004 RX totaled.
The following users liked this post:
Zinvipi (10-22-23)
Old 07-08-13, 01:30 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, thats an amazing story. Apparently that Lexus dealership service advisor doesn't know jack. Are you going to replace the vehicle with another Lexus RX?
Old 07-10-13, 09:51 AM
mcftlf
Driver School Candidate

Looking for a 2010ish RX
Old 07-10-13, 12:52 PM
HtownBlue
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 17 Posts

The 2004 models have th TPS sensor IN and MOUNTED ON the rim of the tires. The Stem style monitors are not on the 2004. They are actually inside the tire mounted on the rims IIRC. I remember seeing them once.

The brake switch has nothing to do with the TOS sensors nor do the lights on the dash.
Old 01-03-14, 10:51 PM
Ajent001
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2007 IS250 and i also had issues with my "VSC" light coming on along with the brake light ABS light and Traction Light. I had no idea what it coukd be. I took to dealer and of course they said it could be many things but to look at it they would charge $120 and whatever the issue that monies would be applied. I left it alone for a couple weeks because it would come off and on......it finally was coming on all the time so i bit the bullet and took it in. The codes came back with a faulty tire sensor ($150) and brakes light switch ($318). Since I was going to have to pay the $120 i told Lexus to replace the tire sensor, start with the cheapest thing and go from there. Well of course that didnt fix the issue. I then called a local mechanic that told me he could replace the brake ligt switch for $130!! (Better) well being me I went on Ebay and you can buy that part for $21 and up....i called Autozone and they had one for $37.05 with Tax!! I watched a youtube video on how to replace and did it myself in a total of removing driving to autozone install and test drive in 30 min!!!!! I saved myself $280+!!!! Its super easy and will save you money.
Dgerstner (05-06-19)
Old 01-05-14, 09:38 AM
RX3302004
Pole Position

This switch is 1 of the first repairs my RX needed once I got it.
Old 08-02-14, 01:55 PM
akhoja
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 Lexus RX 330 Brake Switch Replacement.

Hope this helps someone. I have a 2004 RX 330 with close to 300K kms on it. I have the VSC, ABS, E-brake, and Tire Pressure lights on. I read around and most people said it is the brake switch. So I bought the brake switch. Replaced it. Turns out to be not the brake switch. If your brake lights work just fine, this problem is not your brake switch!!!! Took it to my trusted mechanic, he said it is the speed sensor of the rear right wheel. So far, not taken it back to replace the speed sensor.

Attached are some pics that will help you locate your brake switch and how to get to it. The stubby wrench came in handy.

Take the panel out completely. Lay down on the floor and loosen the brake switch nut. Once loose enough, simply sit on the door's edge and with your right hand reach the switch, as you are looking through the area where the plastic cover was earlier, which you have removed now, slowly turn the switch and remove it. The wire is connected to the switch with a small clip style attachment. Remove the wire before you turn the switch.

I suggest taking pictures of the old switch before removing it. Replace the old one with the new in exactly the same way. Test your brake switch by turning on the car and if you brake lights come on, you can shift gears, your dash lights are off then you are good to go.

Keep in mind my first advise. If you brake lights work fine, it is not your brake switch. Don't waste time and money as I did. The first brake switch I got from Auto Zone was the wrong one. See the attached picture. The wrong one is to the left. The correct one is on the right. Make sure your new switch exactly like the one on the right.

Don't rule out the speed sensors if your brake lights work fine. One sensors throws off all those lights on the dash.

Easy job. You can do it.
Attached Thumbnails Just replaced my Brake Light Switch-20140621_184451.jpg   Just replaced my Brake Light Switch-20140623_232045.jpg   Just replaced my Brake Light Switch-20140621_181627.jpg   Just replaced my Brake Light Switch-20140621_183151.jpg   Just replaced my Brake Light Switch-20140621_182137.jpg  

Old 04-25-15, 12:07 PM
zeke35
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Light Switch

I just replaced my brake light switch with the autozone switch. I am a big guy and this was not an easy task. Getting in floorboard and looking up didn't work. Had to take bottom portion of lower dash loose by removing single phillips head screw near console. Pulled the panel down as it snaps in. Had to wire tie the lower air duck forward in order to get my big hand to the switch.Could barely see the switch with a flashlight. Had to take the 4 nuts off of the wire harness junction box and move out of way. Also had to remove the brake pedal return spring. (No big deal) Had to get a stubby 14mm wrench to access the locking nut on switch. Still not easy but finally got it out. Had to alter the new aftermarket switch as it was too long as commented by another post. Got it back in and adjusted. Wife on road trip just called and said cruise control just flashes when trying to use it. Read another post where the fellow said the aftermarket part is not rated for same voltage and the cruise would not work even though the brake light does work. Or it is not plugged in good. WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!! Will check the plug to make sure it is plugged in good. The other post said one has to buy the OEM part at Lexus for a nominal fee to get it to work. If this is the case then autozone needs to know this. It is too late for me too get my money back as I have altered part by trimming a little off of back of plug but was able to leave the plug lock spur for plug to lock in.(Another post had done this with their autozone plug as it was too long) Maybe an expensive lesson. Any comments on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-25-15, 02:33 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus zeke35. Your Lexus shares many parts with the Toyota Highlander. if the Lexus dealership quotes an outrageous price you might want to check out the Toyota dealership.
Old 09-18-16, 03:52 PM
Fall2016
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DFWTxRx
I just wanted to post up about replacing my brake light switch on my '04 RX330. I was getting about 8 warning lights mostly brake/traction related that would come on... when you shut the car off and turn it back on they would go away. When I first got the car it would only happen once a week... then once a day... and finally it would happen after about 20 miles every time you would drive the car. I bought the part for $22 at Autozone as opposed to $150 from the local Lexus dealer (Sewell). The part looks similar but it is different so hopefully it will last longer than the ones coming from the dealer.

The switch was easy to find under the dash but was EXTREMELY difficult to get to. After forcing my hand up there and getting it knicked and cut up without any luck I almost gave up. I decided to try and remove the panel right in front of your knees to see if that helped. There is a phillips head screw on the bottom right side behind a "flap" that folds out with a small flat head screwdriver. On the bottom left side there is a 10mm bolt that is accessable by gently pulling the kickpanel back away from the door sill. Once these two items are removed you can gently pry the "knee panel" straight out away from the metal plate and airbag.

There a bunch of wires keeping it from coming all the way off but when you lay down on the floor to replace the switch you can simply use your forearm to push the panel up and will allow you much more access to the switch to loosen the 14mm bolt. The easiest way to access the bolt is to position the wrench above the black plastic ac vent. Only loosen it enough so that the switch will rotate. Rotate the switch so that the "button" on the harness can be pushed in by your thump and removed and then unscrew the switch all the way.

The reason you don't want to loosen the bolt on the switch enough to turn it is you want to make sure the bolt on the new switch is in about the same place so you will have a better idea of how much to screw in the new switch to the socket.

Once you have it set up screw the new switch into the socket where you think it is about the same as the old one. make the bolt snug.. not all the way tight and re-attach the harness. You will need to test the switch before tightening it down all the way and putting the panel back on. I did this by pulling the RX in the garage and shutting the door.. that way it was very easy to see when the brake light came on. The brake light should come on when you gently push the pedal.

Once this is adjusted properly tighten the bolt up as tight as you can get it and re-install the panel. One issue I ran into was the car wouldn't go into gear when I was testing it... turned out that while I heard a click installing the harness it wasn't all the way in.. make sure you check that. All in all.. once I figured out the panel removal trick it took about 15 minutes to replace the switch. I just wanted to post this up since I hadn't found much detail on this topic before. Option number two is to take it to Lexus and have it replaced. Sewell Lexus wanted $150 for the part and $200 for labor!
we replaced our brake light switch today in our 2004 rx330. Saved us approx $400.00 at dealership. We bought our replacement part at autozone for $25.00. It took us 1/2 hour and removing the access panel was key to locating the switch. Much thanks to the prior post it really helped.
collndave (10-02-18)
Old 12-11-16, 12:24 PM
cjcgator
Driver School Candidate

Smile Works with 2007 RX350

This post was invaluable to me when I needed to replace the brake switch on my 2007 RX350. A couple of notes to help even more. There is a 10 mm bolt on the left of the cover on the RX350 that also needs to be removed. I also unclipped all the wires and hood latch mechanism to totally remove the cover which made working even easier although working space is still tight and you need to lay on your back under the dash. Was worth it as I saved myself quite a bit of $. Thank you once again for your post!!!
Old 10-02-18, 03:41 AM
collndave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fall2016
we replaced our brake light switch today in our 2004 rx330. Saved us approx $400.00 at dealership. We bought our replacement part at autozone for $25.00. It took us 1/2 hour and removing the access panel was key to locating the switch. Much thanks to the prior post it really helped.
Thanks for the advice, extremely helpful. Had the same multiple-dash-light issues with the wife's 2004 RX330, bought the OEM brake switch part on Amazon for $28 (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWDIOSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KWDIOSK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
Identical to what I removed. Had trouble with keeping the jamb nut in position after adjusting to match position of the removed switch, kept it in place with a couple of wraps of Teflon tape on the threads just under the nut. Gave enough tension to hold the nut position while I threaded the shaft into the switch mount bracket. As noted, very cramped and tight working area, big hands a detriment. When I used a pick to align the pigtail before pressing into the switch, I touched one of the prongs and caused a spark (my bad!), brakes lights not working after install; checked the fuse (#41) under the dash, it was blown. Replace the 10A fuse, fixed the problem. BTW, I used a bungee cord (one of mankind's greatest inventions!) around the steering wheel to hold the kick panel up and out of the way while working.
Old 10-02-18, 06:40 AM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lots of dash lights, trans shifter locked up.
Indie mechanic said brake switch was bad, $90 labor $50 for switch, 1 hour fix 2 years ago.
04 highlander at 135000 miles.

Quick Reply: Just replaced my Brake Light Switch