RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Had a look at a Harrier today

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-10, 08:13 PM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Had a look at a Harrier today

There is a guy down the road from me selling his Toyota Harrier (Lexus RX330). He had originally imported this from Japan so hence the Harrier bits and pieces.

The main issue I have with the car is that the navigation unit is all in Japanese. Hence the GPS is in Japanese, bluetooth (yes on a 2003) is in Japanese, TV is in Japanese (wrong signal), buttons for the whole nav unit (except for a few here and there) and in Japanese.

How hard is it going to be to convert from Japanese to English? Will I need a new screen? Will I just need a software update? Is it just going to be a different disc? The buttons to change menus I can live with, but it's more the touch screen functions that are a problem.

Additionally the radio, as it is Japanese, is a different source code here in Australia, so I would have to get a different unit. That bit is not overly hard to do, so it's the least of my concerns.

Anyone know anybody that has done this? Was it a pain? Should I not bother and just buy a locally delivered one?

I also found the difference between the Australian delivered RX330 and the Japanese Harrier (AIR Suspension, additional cameras on the mirrors and the front bar, some other stuff I haven't found yet).

Thoughts?
Old 02-05-10, 08:28 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

In short, find a domestically prepared unit for Australia and forget about all these hassles you would have to deal with otherwise. Not worth the costs nor your sanity in trying to convert.
Old 02-14-10, 06:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

^^Plus 2. Save yourself some agony. Just get some upgrades on the acc you want to install in your RX.
Old 02-14-10, 11:57 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be a cool collector car, even in the U.S. But can't you try swapping out the NAV DVD for an Australian one and it'd be in English?
Old 02-16-10, 09:58 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
There is a guy down the road from me selling his Toyota Harrier (Lexus RX330). He had originally imported this from Japan so hence the Harrier bits and pieces.

The main issue I have with the car is that the navigation unit is all in Japanese. Hence the GPS is in Japanese, bluetooth (yes on a 2003) is in Japanese, TV is in Japanese (wrong signal), buttons for the whole nav unit (except for a few here and there) and in Japanese.

How hard is it going to be to convert from Japanese to English? Will I need a new screen? Will I just need a software update? Is it just going to be a different disc? The buttons to change menus I can live with, but it's more the touch screen functions that are a problem.

Additionally the radio, as it is Japanese, is a different source code here in Australia, so I would have to get a different unit. That bit is not overly hard to do, so it's the least of my concerns.

Anyone know anybody that has done this? Was it a pain? Should I not bother and just buy a locally delivered one?

I also found the difference between the Australian delivered RX330 and the Japanese Harrier (AIR Suspension, additional cameras on the mirrors and the front bar, some other stuff I haven't found yet).

Thoughts?
This post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-location.html
mentions change from Jap. to Eng., among other matters. Don't recommend....
Old 02-17-10, 02:19 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Paul. I created that other thread after I had done some research on the matter.