RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

04 RX330 Very strong shake at random speeds - Help just bought 2 days

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 07:01 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 RX330 Very strong shake at random speeds - Help just bought 2 days

I just bought a used 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD with 100,000 Km. When I was driving down hill (60 km/h) it started to shake (a very strong vibration) then this happened twice again in the same day. The second time I was slowing down (30 km/h) with traffic and the third time was on the highway (80 km/h). What could this be?

First I thought it might be one of the tires is not balanced but in this case the vibration is so strong and since it seems like this happens at more then one speed.

Could it be the transmission not finding gears? Or maybe the AWD system?

Thanks

P.S: A friend of mine pointed me to this website and I have to say it looks like people really love their Lexus Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-19-09, 07:07 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

Also forgot to add that when this happens my steering wheel does not shake and also it does not matter if I apply brake or not it still shakes.

Thanks
Old 07-19-09, 07:36 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HimSelf
Also forgot to add that when this happens my steering wheel does not shake and also it does not matter if I apply brake or not it still shakes.

Thanks
WOW only owned for 2 days. Did you not really give it a good test drive? Sorry about your terrible problem. If it were me I would be at the dealership, presuming that you purchased from a Lexus Dealer, the first thing on Monday AM waiting for them to open for business. Should they fail to rectify the problem my next stop would be an appointment with a GOOD attorney. This is simply wrong to sell a vehicle in this condition. Of course if you bought it AS IS without any warranty, expressed or implied, the problem I think will be yours. Good luck in solving it. Sorry I cannot be of more assistance. Only my opinion offered.
Old 07-19-09, 09:57 AM
Scottydog
Driver

Just round up the usual suspects: wheel balance, alignment, tires. Then move on to suspension- bushings etc.
Old 07-19-09, 01:45 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're using reg gas try a tankful of premium, clean the injecters and do the upper manifold with a cleaner solution.
Old 07-19-09, 02:53 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HimSelf
I just bought a used 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD with 100,000 Km. When I was driving down hill (60 km/h) it started to shake (a very strong vibration) then this happened twice again in the same day. The second time I was slowing down (30 km/h) with traffic and the third time was on the highway (80 km/h). What could this be?

First I thought it might be one of the tires is not balanced but in this case the vibration is so strong and since it seems like this happens at more then one speed.

Could it be the transmission not finding gears? Or maybe the AWD system?

Thanks

P.S: A friend of mine pointed me to this website and I have to say it looks like people really love their Lexus Thanks for all your help.
You should know that the powertrain may still be under warranty. If this is a powertrain issue you could be covered if there is no issue of neglect or failure to perform the maintenance as specified. Take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

Powertrain Warranty

The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Except for the situations listed on the Basic Warranty page, this warranty covers repairs needed to fix defects in materials or workmanship of any component listed below:

Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets

Rear-Wheel Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets

See your Lexus dealer for complete details on the Lexus Powertrain Warranty.
Old 07-19-09, 06:26 PM
hesham1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in many states contracts can be voided within a certain time period, like 3 to 7 days. its possible you may be able to return this vehicle for a full refund. check your local laws
Old 07-20-09, 12:47 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take it in to the dealer to find out what the problem is. Like mentioned above, if it's the transmission, it may still be covered under warranty. Don't wait too long, you're losing days if it's still covered.

I'd also place a call to the prior owner asking about the problem. Chances are he/she will deny it, but if they're honest they'll tell you so.

How were they with maintenance on the car? If good (and taken to the dealer), then I'd be at the dealer asking for the history on the car as well.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 07-20-09, 01:02 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can look up the car's history online from Lexus's website but yea like most member mention here, take it to the dealer and let them take care of it. Most likely dealer will blame you, don't know if you have a "lemon law" like here in CA. When all else fail, you can always call Lexus to see if they can help you resolve it between you and the dealer.
Old 07-20-09, 08:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Sign up for membership on the lexus.com website and then you can retrieve your car's history, if they ever updated it properly. Some do leave detailed comments and others describe and operation...that's all. But until you try, you will never know.
Old 07-20-09, 01:58 PM
bagsbie
Driver

Any noises accompany the shakes? Do you feel where the vibration is coming from? Do you feel it in the pedals? Are the shakes worse when turning? I would immediately check and make sure all of the wheels' lug nuts torqued properly and none of the wheels are actually loose. Visually check the tires for any serious damage. best if taken to the dealership where the car came from. Keep us posed on what the cause of the problem is.
Old 07-20-09, 07:14 PM
RA080623
Driver

I used to own a 2004 Ford F150 that would vibrate or shake the entire truck at various speeds. Everyone can fill in their Ford jokes here.

It happened when I was on the highway for a bit and sometimes when I was in town. The check engine light would come on. The problem would appear and disappear if I let the truck rest. OK another joke .

It turned out that the engine was misfiring (I think that was the term used). The problem would go away by itself but the computer would have the error code. I think they put in a new coil, spark plug or something.

I know the F150 is not like the RX but the truck would just shake. You could feel it but not in the steering wheel or pedal. I didn't think an engine would shake a vehicle like that.

The other thing I recall someone mentioning is to check the engine mounts when I was having problems. Mine was under warranty so the dealer took care of it.

Hope this might help.

BTW - I drive an 06 Tundra DC now
Old 07-31-09, 03:48 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey HimSelf, what was the final result of your car's shaking, do you still own the car or did the dealer take back? What caused the shake?
Old 07-31-09, 10:47 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watching
Old 08-02-09, 09:10 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

Sorry everyone for the late update, just got back from a trip and picked up my RX330 on Saturday from the Lexus dealer. So here goes the story.....

General info:

2004 RX330 Ultra Premium package with around 100,000 km
No accident
Full service history from Lexus dealer

Conclusion:

The guys at my local Lexus dealer drove my RX330 around (20 km) and could not reproduce the vibration.

They found a protective plate around the muffler was rusted, lose, and almost ready to fall off (they replaced it with a new one) also they updated the transmission computer. Then they spend another hour looking into my ABS because the diagnostic computer showed that there where some errors but at the end everything was ok. However the dealer don't know why I experienced the strong vibration.

In total the bill came out to $230. Should the transmission computer update should be covered under the power train warranty?

For the past days I have not noticed any vibration and I hope it stays that way I have been noticing the rough shifting everyone has been complaining about online.

Thanks for everyone's feedback

Quick Reply: 04 RX330 Very strong shake at random speeds - Help just bought 2 days