RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How Many Miles will the RX Do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 01:40 PM
Styxxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default posting

I tend to lurk and pick up information, sometimes it's more of a time thing. Im not particularly a "car" guy, but i love my lexus and have found great information on here. My other is a 99 camry, with 158,000 miles. Also I suppose there is a responsibility to contribute to the forum (give and take).
Thanks!
Old 01-02-09, 07:26 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love to see the lurkers speak up. It is not hard to chat once in a while so I always wonder why more people don't chat more.

I agree with you 100%, everyone has to contribute or it would be dead out here!
Old 01-02-09, 09:23 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

my 2004, japan built RX330 has 91K miles. eekkkkk

i have been religiously going to lexus every 5K miles

hopefully, the car will not poop out before i can get my hands on the new RX hybrid or the HS250.

so far, no mechanical problems except the air suspension acted it once andneeded a part changed. i feel the transmission is definately getting worse. its indecisive in its gear changes sometimes and it jerks the cars. also, sometimes wheres no response on the car with the foot on the gas for at least 3 seconds.
Old 01-04-09, 10:30 AM
Lexterious
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RXSF
my 2004, japan built RX330 has 91K miles. i feel the transmission is definately getting worse. its indecisive in its gear changes sometimes and it jerks the cars. also, sometimes wheres no response on the car with the foot on the gas for at least 3 seconds.
I hope you are not exaggerating about the 3 second delay. If not, that's a dangerous condition and you should get it fixed asap.

I have a 2004 Japanese built RX330 as well and I remember years ago taking it in to have its transmission firmware flashed (re-programmed) because it was hesitant about downshifting sometimes. It helped a bit but still not perfect. I'm not sure if your transmission issue is related.
Old 01-04-09, 09:38 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i held off the reflash until about 70K miles and so far, its made it worse. and no im not exagerating about the 2-3 second delay
Old 01-05-09, 04:52 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexterious
I hope you are not exaggerating about the 3 second delay. If not, that's a dangerous condition and you should get it fixed asap.

I have a 2004 Japanese built RX330 as well and I remember years ago taking it in to have its transmission firmware flashed (re-programmed) because it was hesitant about downshifting sometimes. It helped a bit but still not perfect. I'm not sure if your transmission issue is related.
I am not sure if that's really a problem or maybe it was poorly designed. My Dad has of 05 Toyota Minivan AWD it has the same engine and RX and it may even have same trans or at least concept. The van does it too and sounds like the RX under acceleration and stuff. So maybe I have gotten used to it. Also the minivan we bought first and new my RX is older and used, but it is CPO so I am thinking its not actual problem. Both are made in North America, don't remember where. Maybe people are just not used to the trans.
Old 01-12-09, 05:40 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

My parents have an 02 RX300 with 140k miles...with NO MAJOR SERVICE, just oil changes and tranny flushed for the first time last year. Still runs like a champ, which convinced me to buy my RX400h for these chicago winters

btw, the service dept at their lexus dealership pleads with them to atleast replace the timing belt/water pump combo, but my dad refuses too lol

Last edited by GQD_GS4; 01-12-09 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-13-09, 04:44 PM
runningox
Driver School Candidate

what is charcoal canister? what does it do? Thanks!
Old 01-15-09, 06:42 AM
regor60
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
My parents have an 02 RX300 with 140k miles...with NO MAJOR SERVICE, just oil changes and tranny flushed for the first time last year. Still runs like a champ, which convinced me to buy my RX400h for these chicago winters

btw, the service dept at their lexus dealership pleads with them to atleast replace the timing belt/water pump combo, but my dad refuses too lol
I guess he's happy if he gets 140,001 miles, because the car is effectively totalled if the timing belt breaks at that mileage and cost to repair
Old 01-15-09, 06:48 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Timing belt is a pretty good one to do. I do not know what a lexus dealer will gouge you for, but my local mechanic replaced my kid's toytal avalon timing belt for around $250. On the avalon, it is pretty easy to get to.
Old 01-15-09, 09:28 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by regor60
I guess he's happy if he gets 140,001 miles, because the car is effectively totalled if the timing belt breaks at that mileage and cost to repair
that's what i keep telling my dad, but he insists, "if its not broken, don't fix it." aarrrrgh
Old 01-15-09, 10:00 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by runningox
what is charcoal canister? what does it do? Thanks!
Part of the vapor recovery system.

Highly recommend
http://www.amazon.com/Readers-Digest.../dp/0895770881

Salim
Old 01-16-09, 06:02 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryst
Its a 1999 RX 300
I bought it with 46,000 miles on it, back in 2003.
I don't know what it cost a year on maintenance, but the price of gas was killing me there for a while.

I do oil changes around 5000 miles and change my transmission fluid 2 times a year.
Also did 1 power steering fluid flush.
So far, I do all my own maintenance.

Sensors seem to be the culprit on my car more than anything.

I have changed the battery,serpintine belts, charcoal canister,rear struts, knock sensors, air fuel sensors, timing belt and water pump,just about every light bulb in the car, number 5 coil, all spark plugs 3 times, PCV valve, and a starter.

I have had a rear main seal leak for a couple of years now, I may attempt it in the spring.

-I would buy another RX in a heartbeat!

Barryst
Barryst,are you going 5,000 miles on conventional oil? And as far as your sensors going out,are you using Premium Unleaded fuel? Seems the sensors tend to last longer on premium gasoline.
Old 01-16-09, 07:07 AM
Barryst
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!

I do oil changes at 5000 miles with regular Castrol 5w-30 GTX oil and no, I use the cheap gasoline.

-Barryst

I once had a diognastic done by lexus, (So I could use a brand new 400H for the day!)
And the report came back saying my charcoal canister and gas cap was bad.(This I already knew.) Also said my PCV valve was plugged up!!

I found out when I had my rear valve cover off, it really wasn't my PCV that was bad, That whole end of the valve cover was full of almost solid gell, plugging up the hole for the PCV!!!

I'm glad I found it while I was doing my knock sensors!

-And also another good reason 5000 miles is the max I will drive on an oil change!
Old 01-16-09, 07:19 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Barryst
Hi!

I do oil changes at 5000 miles with regular Castrol 5w-30 GTX oil and no, I use the cheap gasoline.

-Barryst

I once had a diognastic done by lexus, (So I could use a brand new 400H for the day!)
And the report came back saying my charcoal canister and gas cap was bad.(This I already knew.) Also said my PCV valve was plugged up!!

I found out when I had my rear valve cover off, it really wasn't my PCV that was bad, That whole end of the valve cover was full of almost solid gell, plugging up the hole for the PCV!!!

I'm glad I found it while I was doing my knock sensors!

-And also another good reason 5000 miles is the max I will drive on an oil change!
"and no, I use the cheap gasoline." See what I`m talking about.Now I could be wrong,but over on the 300 board,Lexmex has just about alway`s used premium fuel.And never has had to replace his A/F sensors. (just an example)

Quick Reply: How Many Miles will the RX Do?