RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Toughen up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 07:38 PM
Buff-Daddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toughen up?

Hello, I just picked up a 2005 RX330 with 24k miles on it. I really do like the look of these vehicels a lot, but what would you recommend to toughen it up a little bit? Around my area, it is 95% women drivers and I want to do something to seperate myself a little bit from the crowd.
I was looking for black but as luck would have it, the deal of a lifetime came on Flint Mica. Gray was my 2nd choice so I am happy with it. Any pictures and/or recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks,
Old 12-10-08, 10:08 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wanted to do the same thing, so I added the color matched running boards. I choose this over a body kit side skirt because at the time, the body kit skirts were mild and didn't hang low enough. Now there are a lot more choices though. I also lowered it a bit using Eibach Springs. I wanted coil overs to lower it more, but at the time none were available and Air Suspensions other than stock were not available. I went with 20" rims with oversize tires, 255/50/20. I color matched the hatch spoiler and lower body trim. Inside I added an A/V system , but that is optional.
Old 12-10-08, 10:12 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Toughen it up? You might want to review the movie "Slap Shot". A fire axe, a sledgehammer, and a little assorted graffiti worked for the team bus!

Given the lines of the RX, maybe a switch to slightly larger tires would help - the Bridgestone Alenzas in the stock size are a bit larger, but maybe a small increase in size might be helpful. Forget bull bars and steps - for me, when combined with the soft feminine lines - like putting a classy lady in a biker outfit, it really doesn't work.

For a slightly different look you might try removing the roof rack and rails to give a bit more sleek profile. A drop may stiffen the ride by limiting wheel travel and will cost you valuable ground clearance, not a good idea in the snow belt.
Old 12-10-08, 10:13 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 about removing the roof racks. I did that also and I personally liked the look a lot better.
Old 12-10-08, 11:25 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new big wheels, chrome running boards and tinted tail lights.

that's what I would do
Old 12-10-08, 11:46 PM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

I'm in the same boat. I've decided to use CK6speed's setup as a model, as those are the only mods that I can find for my 06 RXh. Eibach springs, Apexi exhaust, and looking at a Wald or INGS+1 kit. Replaced my ML stereo with an Alpine ISA W505 deck, Blackbird Navi/Bluetooth, 3500k HID fogs, and replaced all lights to LED.
Old 12-11-08, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Buff-Daddy
Hello, I just picked up a 2005 RX330 with 24k miles on it. I really do like the look of these vehicels a lot, but what would you recommend to toughen it up a little bit? Around my area, it is 95% women drivers and I want to do something to seperate myself a little bit from the crowd.
You know what they say, you can put lip stick on a pig, but its still a pig
Old 12-11-08, 05:55 AM
tfischer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a "Hello Kitty" purse, and all the boys laugh at me (but it's so handy).
What can I do to butch it up a little?
Thanks.
Old 12-11-08, 06:58 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Forget bull bars and steps - for me, when combined with the soft feminine lines - like putting a classy lady in a biker outfit, it really doesn't work.
I have a '99 RX and wanted to make mine look "different" and not necessarily increase its testosterone level...

So I got JAOS chrome skid plate and bull bars. [I would never add their mud flaps]. They look great with the pearl midnight (white but not the appliance white). I did go overboard with the off road lights and have been planning for ages to take them off. So I totally agree that the add ons must be done tastefully.

But at the end it is your vehicle, so do what pleases you.

Salim
Old 12-11-08, 07:47 AM
Buff-Daddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
I have a "Hello Kitty" purse, and all the boys laugh at me (but it's so handy).
What can I do to butch it up a little?
Thanks.

LOL, you know what I mean... It's my wifes vehicle, so it isn't that big of a deal, but I do want to make a few changes. Transitioning from an X5 to this is just a little harder than I thought. Looking for a little more reliability, I hope we found it.
Old 12-11-08, 07:50 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

There's probably a whole ton of photos we have on this site. I know I have seen some very fine examples of 2nd gen RXs in my HyperRev magazines and also on the net from Japan and other parts of Asia.

This might give you a start and it lists parts for the 2nd gen RX from one of our CL sponsors, http://www.l-tunedparts.com/index.php?id=33

An aftermarket air intake and a direct exhaust/muffler would give it a tougher sound, too.

Let us know and we'll try to give more ideas and point in you in the right direction.
Old 12-11-08, 09:32 AM
sportsfan8
Pole Position

This thread cracks me up.

I didn't do it to necessarily "toughen up," but I tinted the front windows to match the rear, removed the roof racks, and slightly smoked the rear tail lights. I'll probably be replacing the tires with bigger ones when the stock ones are worn out soon.
Old 12-11-08, 09:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think you should paint the word BUFF DADDY accross your hood
Old 12-11-08, 10:20 AM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

How are roof racks removed? Do they leave existing holes or anything like that?
Old 12-11-08, 10:33 AM
Buff-Daddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think you should paint the word BUFF DADDY accross your hood
Not the hood, no one would be able to see it. Maybe straight across the side.

Quick Reply: Toughen up?