RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

08 RX owners and Coastaletech

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 09:32 AM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 08 RX owners and Coastaletech

Any 08 RX owners with navigation and ML without RSES bought a product from Coastaletech to restore function to the Navigation unit while in motion?

I contacted them three times and got three different answers: One guy said they don't make any products for the 08 RX even though he forgot their website said they do. Another girl said only the lock pick basic would work, then I got an email saying the Ultimate 3 would work as advertised on their website. I am so confused and with their customer service so far I am afraid to buy from these clowns because you know they will not refund your money if you bought the wrong product. The one guy said the Nav from 07 to 08 is different but I dont think so since they both are GEN 5 and use 7.1 discs.

I have a 08 RX 400H with nav and ML no RSES.

I posted on the RX 400 H forums but its dead in there.

Thanks
Old 06-18-08, 06:03 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can only speak about the rx350. the lockpick 3 basic should unlock the nav for input while in motion. http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick3.htm

It works on our 09RX350. We don't have ML but I don't see why that would matter. I bet the nav systems are the same in 08 and 09 (Gen5 hardware with dvd7.1) and in 350 and 400. In the 350, you install it under the rear cargo floor which is where the nav dvd reader is located. just unplug the original harness from the reader and snap the lockpick on, attach the original lexus plug onto the other end of the lockpick.

they have a separate product that unlocks bluetooth etc while in motion. you can buy the 2 products as a bundle called the ultimate lockpick 3. I don't have the 2nd, but the basic is all that's needed for nav input in motion. Of course I haven't tried it on a 400 H but I bet the systems are the same. Best I can do.
Old 06-19-08, 02:46 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ecount00
Can only speak about the rx350. the lockpick 3 basic should unlock the nav for input while in motion. http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick3.htm

It works on our 09RX350. We don't have ML but I don't see why that would matter. I bet the nav systems are the same in 08 and 09 (Gen5 hardware with dvd7.1) and in 350 and 400. In the 350, you install it under the rear cargo floor which is where the nav dvd reader is located. just unplug the original harness from the reader and snap the lockpick on, attach the original lexus plug onto the other end of the lockpick.

they have a separate product that unlocks bluetooth etc while in motion. you can buy the 2 products as a bundle called the ultimate lockpick 3. I don't have the 2nd, but the basic is all that's needed for nav input in motion. Of course I haven't tried it on a 400 H but I bet the systems are the same. Best I can do.

Thanks alot for the reply. I am glad yours is working. I got a phone call again from a different person that works at Coastaletech and they said for sure the Lock Pick 3 basic is the only thing that will work with 08-09 RX vehicles so I will try it and post if it works for others with pics.
Old 06-19-08, 09:20 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck. Hope it works out. It's a breeze to install once you get to the nav dvd reader. it adds a small icon to the Dest touch screen. when you press that to turn it on, it apparently interupts the speed signal so the car thinks it's not moving so the nav unlocks. once you finish input it becomes passive and everything returns to normal. simple idea but a big help. fingers crossed.
Old 06-20-08, 04:04 AM
mihink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tony
Thanks alot for the reply. I am glad yours is working. I got a phone call again from a different person that works at Coastaletech and they said for sure the Lock Pick 3 basic is the only thing that will work with 08-09 RX vehicles so I will try it and post if it works for others with pics.
Keep us updated on what happens. i just ordered the basic lockpick 3 for my 2008 rx with 6.1 software. we'll see if it works!!
Old 06-20-08, 05:06 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The RX 400h forum is really meant to address the special quirks of the hybrid system, including the AC, PS, brakes, etc. that are unique to that model. Any other 2RX questions should be asked here - if for no other reason than to reach the wider audience.

Hope this helps answer your questions more quickly in the future.
Old 06-23-08, 07:56 AM
Bowlth
Driver School Candidate

I had sent Costaltech a note about the lock pick, but never heard back from them. Given there was no response, I was hesitate to order. How easy is it to install this item to remove the speed cancellation?
Old 06-24-08, 04:37 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

it depends on the year of your model and where the nav dvd reader is. for 08 and 09 it is simple. under the cargo floor there is a compartment where the nav dvd reader is located (you have to remove the spare tire tool tray) and it's completely exposed once you raise the cargo floor panel. you just remove the original lexus plug (pinch and pull). snap one end of the lockpick wiring harness on the dvd reader and plug the original lexus plug into the other end of the lockpick. 10 minutes. easy

Last edited by ecount00; 06-25-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-24-08, 11:34 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bowlth
I had sent Costaltech a note about the lock pick, but never heard back from them. Given there was no response, I was hesitate to order. How easy is it to install this item to remove the speed cancellation?
The RX series is the easiest of the Lexus vehicles to install the Lock Pick. I wish we could use the lock pick 3 ultimate but Coastaletech keep saying it wont work if you have DVD changer in dash. Lock pick 3 basic is the one you want.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=306613

Last edited by Tony; 06-25-08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 03:56 AM
mihink
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up update

I installed basic lockpick 3 yesterday on my 2008 rx with nav version 6.1. It works great so far, "I agree" automatically clicks on and goes to the next screen.

During driving, the nav system will allow me to input addresses, etc. but there is a bit of lag from time to time with the inputs being 'grayed' out.

Nevertheless, a good product, worth the $99 + shipping fee.

Be careful taking apart the toolbox in the back...I lost one of the pushpins!!

Good luck to all!
Old 06-25-08, 05:28 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

that lag you mention where the inputs gray out is the car trying to override the lockpick after about 30 seconds or so. to begin with the lockpick hijacks the speed signal so the car thinks it's not moving which is why the nav is freed up. after about 30 seconds the car tries to acquire again so there is a tussle for a few seconds and the system grays out, then lockpicks wins and the system unlocks again. you'll also notice that the nav doesnt calibrate movement while it's unlocked for the same reason. after you finish input, lockpick goes passive and it takes the car a few seconds to figure out the nav position needs to jump ahead a bit. it repositions on its own, just take a bit. way more + than - IMO

Last edited by ecount00; 06-25-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-20-08, 04:12 PM
JLA
10th Gear

Default Removing Spares Toolkit?

As reported by ecount00, I can confirm the DVD Nav system does appear to be underneath the rear cargo floor, and underneath the little spares tools provided by Lexus (on right side of tray). The picture attached shows the spare tool kit; the little yellow dots are where two plastic screws are located (which must be removed with a screwdriver to pry them loose); the NAV DVD player is below the spares tool kit (marked with a red line showing where a little plastic door is located).

To remove the tray, I removed the plastic threaded screws (I put two yellow dots where these plastic screws are in the picture). However, I cannot pull the tray out - it feels like it is stuck on something, so I did not force it.

For those that have removed the tray, what did you do to remove it without breaking it? I can slide my fingers underneath the back of the tray (closest to trunk door) - but it won't pull outward or up. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails 08 RX owners and Coastaletech-sparetoolstray.jpg  
Old 09-21-08, 06:20 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

The whole tray you have in your picture lifts out. It takes a little force. Once you remove the pins where the yellow dots are, get your fingers under the lip closest to you (closest to the trunk opening, and flex the plastic inward (towards the back seat) then pull up. there are a few ridges/edges/protrusions under there and it just snags a little. work it back and forth. it's flexible so i never felt like it was going to crack. once you get the side closest to you to pivot up, you can see there is a lip on the opposite side that you have to work free. it doesnt really snap or latch on anything.
Old 09-21-08, 07:18 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Hello,

Since the mod interferes with the speed detection for a little, does that in turn interfere with it's mileage (mpg) calculations? Just wondering how integrated all the computer functions are. Cool thread; don't know how I missed it before....
Regards
Old 09-22-08, 03:06 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

oh man, hadn't considered that. be interesting to see what someone more expert than me says but I don't think so. seems like mpg would be based on consumption and miles traveled which isn't affected by the lockpick. but that is a guess.

Quick Reply: 08 RX owners and Coastaletech