RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

bought a lease return

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 12:21 PM
rx330janet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought a lease return

i bought a rx330 at little over 30k miles from a pre-auction dealership, which was a previously leased vehicle by someone else. my question is about oil change...don't know yet, if i should do a 3k or 5k oil change, but am i supposed to follow the pattern of the previous owner? in other words, if the previous owner used synthetic oil, should i use synthetic, and if they didn't use synthetic, can i start using synthetic?
Old 09-11-07, 12:37 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

err...go to your local lexus dealer and have them print out a service history of your car. see if the previous owner went to lexus for services first.
Old 09-11-07, 01:28 PM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

janet, thats a great post. Are there any mechanics here, would synthetic oil have different properties from conventional oil, like smell, color? Also, is there a different oil filter with synthetic?

I happen to be looking for a lease return with same miles, if you dont mind me asking, what equipment yours has and how much you had paid?
Old 09-11-07, 05:05 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Post pics if you can. What color?
Old 09-11-07, 06:36 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostyan
janet, thats a great post. Are there any mechanics here, would synthetic oil have different properties from conventional oil, like smell, color? Also, is there a different oil filter with synthetic?

I happen to be looking for a lease return with same miles, if you dont mind me asking, what equipment yours has and how much you had paid?

I dont know how to tell if the oil on the dipstick is regular, synthetic or blend. Even the classifications used by manufacturers is not standard [what we call in USA as synthetic may not be called synthetic in Europe].

As you know, you can go longer between oil changes if you go synthetic. So the time in engine (miles as well as dates) are more important than the composition.

Can you switch to synthetic ... yes [The only problem faced by some is that the rubber seals swell up with regular and they shrink back with synthetic. If the swelling is providing the "seal" then when the rubber shrinks, you may spring a leak (more realistically a drip).

Synthetic does not need special filters.

Finally there is nothing wrong with regular oil, as long as you change it regularly. [3500 miles or upto 6 months]. Synthetic you can go upto 5000 miles but I prefer 3500 ... overkill].

Buying used vehicles (specailly with low milage makes all the financial sense, but you must get the maintenance history and make sure the accidents (if) have been repaired correctly. Stay away from Salvage title.
[I do not follow my own advice ... since I keep cars for many years, it is ok for me to buy new loss/yrs of ownership is small for me]

Salim
Old 09-12-07, 02:11 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why does someone need to do their services at the lexus dealer? i feel bad for anyone who buys my car after the lease is up. haha
Old 09-12-07, 08:22 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AM1
why does someone need to do their services at the lexus dealer? i feel bad for anyone who buys my car after the lease is up. haha
well you still are changing your oil and filter right? The only difference between $70 and $30 oil changes are loaner, "free" coffee, sodas, wi-fi in the waiting area, and a kiss in the ***. LOL
Old 09-12-07, 08:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Lexus dealer I use charge only $40 for a oil change and you get a free car wash.
Old 09-12-07, 09:06 AM
Kostyan
Intermediate

$40 not bad at all
Old 09-16-07, 06:23 PM
SpicyMikey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rx330janet
i bought a rx330 at little over 30k miles from a pre-auction dealership, which was a previously leased vehicle by someone else. my question is about oil change...don't know yet, if i should do a 3k or 5k oil change, but am i supposed to follow the pattern of the previous owner? in other words, if the previous owner used synthetic oil, should i use synthetic, and if they didn't use synthetic, can i start using synthetic?
Janet, I don't think your question was directly answered yet. Can you switch to synthetic without worry? Yes. Mixing petroleum oils and 100% synthetics is not an issue anymore. In "the old days" some original synthetic compounds did not mix well with petroleum base oils. It caused problems when they mixed in the engine. Those days are long gone. Feel free to switch back and forth. Having said that, don't "top off" with a synthetic if there is petroleum in the engine and vice-versa. Mixing lubricants with different properties is not good.
Old 09-16-07, 07:30 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

From the Mobil oil FAQ:

Mixing Synthetic and Conventional Motor Oils

Can you ever blend synthetic oils and conventional oils? If so, what is the ratio?

Answer:

Yes, synthetic oils can be blended with conventional oils. Several companies, including ExxonMobil, market synthetic blends which are a combination of synthetic and conventional oils. In the case of ExxonMobil, the ratio of synthetic to conventional oil in these products is considered proprietary information.
Old 09-16-07, 08:23 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When we had our 04 RX330, we sold it at 60K miles. I often switched between Mobile 1 synthetic and regular oil all the time. If I did the oil change myself, I used synthetic. If I took the car in for service, I let them change it with whatever the dealership stocks. I never had a single oil problem in the 60K miles I owned it. I sold the car to a friend and so far he hasn't had an issues either. Now, I've done this since I first switched to synthetic at about 10K miles. If you used regular oil for 80K miles than decided to switch, I might be a little more concerned and cautious, but otherwise no big deal.
Old 09-19-07, 01:56 PM
rx330janet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
I dont know how to tell if the oil on the dipstick is regular, synthetic or blend. Even the classifications used by manufacturers is not standard [what we call in USA as synthetic may not be called synthetic in Europe].

As you know, you can go longer between oil changes if you go synthetic. So the time in engine (miles as well as dates) are more important than the composition.

Can you switch to synthetic ... yes [The only problem faced by some is that the rubber seals swell up with regular and they shrink back with synthetic. If the swelling is providing the "seal" then when the rubber shrinks, you may spring a leak (more realistically a drip).

Synthetic does not need special filters.

Finally there is nothing wrong with regular oil, as long as you change it regularly. [3500 miles or upto 6 months]. Synthetic you can go upto 5000 miles but I prefer 3500 ... overkill].

Buying used vehicles (specailly with low milage makes all the financial sense, but you must get the maintenance history and make sure the accidents (if) have been repaired correctly. Stay away from Salvage title.
[I do not follow my own advice ... since I keep cars for many years, it is ok for me to buy new loss/yrs of ownership is small for me]

Salim
I paid $29k at 30k miles, and it basically has all the features except navigation, i guess.
Old 09-19-07, 01:57 PM
rx330janet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kostyan

oops, i replied to the wrong person. I paid $29k at 30k miles, and it basically has all the features except navigation, i guess.