RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Headlight Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-06, 08:44 AM
Scha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Stolen

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new RX350 and after 2 weeks someone stole both head lights. Its a RX350 2007 model. Someone told me that the dealer should've done a datadot headlight, Some kind of sensor to prevent this. Is this true?...should i tell my dealer to fix this avoiding going through my insurace...any suggestions???
Old 07-10-06, 09:08 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

http://www.greenburghny.com/cit-e-ac...D=10&TPID=5030

Lexus is attempting to reduce thefts of headlights on the RX 330 model Lexus, due to the high incident of HID headlight theft on RX 330 vehicles. In addition to new headlight securing devices, a new type of identification technology called “DataDots” will be applied to the headlights and vehicles. DataDots is a unique identifying process which is linked to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). They are about the size of a grain of sand each encoded with a VIN applied using a laser process. The VIN on a DataDot can be read by using a UV Black Light and a 30-100x magnifying reader. In addition, DataDots stickers will be applied to the headlights as a deterrent. Lexus will have the headlight securing device and DataDots installed free of charge to Lexus customers by contacting their Lexus dealer. For more information contact your local Lexus dealer or the Greenburgh Police Crime Prevention Unit at 914-682-5334.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like you need to request the datadot installation from the dealer. So I am assuming you are going to need to claim this one under insurance and have the dealer install the datadot the next time.
Old 07-10-06, 09:22 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doubtful if Lexus will cover HID headlamp theft on the warranty.

An insurance task; as covered under your comprehensive deductible.
Old 07-10-06, 10:11 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Will Lexus dealers do it free of charge anywhere in the US or just Greenburgh, NY?
Old 07-10-06, 03:23 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
Will Lexus dealers do it free of charge anywhere in the US or just Greenburgh, NY?
My dealer did it free of charge for my wife while she was enjoying her tea and scones, watching Fox News in the lounge. Took less than an hour.

Gary
Pittsburgh, PA
Old 07-10-06, 09:48 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS0LD0UT
http://www.greenburghny.com/cit-e-ac...D=10&TPID=5030

Lexus is attempting to reduce thefts of headlights on the RX 330 model Lexus, due to the high incident of HID headlight theft on RX 330 vehicles. In addition to new headlight securing devices, a new type of identification technology called “DataDots” will be applied to the headlights and vehicles. DataDots is a unique identifying process which is linked to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). They are about the size of a grain of sand each encoded with a VIN applied using a laser process. The VIN on a DataDot can be read by using a UV Black Light and a 30-100x magnifying reader. In addition, DataDots stickers will be applied to the headlights as a deterrent. Lexus will have the headlight securing device and DataDots installed free of charge to Lexus customers by contacting their Lexus dealer. For more information contact your local Lexus dealer or the Greenburgh Police Crime Prevention Unit at 914-682-5334.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like you need to request the datadot installation from the dealer. So I am assuming you are going to need to claim this one under insurance and have the dealer install the datadot the next time.
This is a new RX350 and not an older 330. I am wondering why the 350's are not with this from the factory already. How do I tell if the datadot and the new securing device is on my 350?
Old 07-11-06, 05:06 AM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DataDot only for RX330 & RX400H

Originally Posted by 2003LS430
This is a new RX350 and not an older 330. I am wondering why the 350's are not with this from the factory already. How do I tell if the datadot and the new securing device is on my 350?
I called Lexus of Danvers, Mass this morning they stated only RX330 required DataDot. RX350 already came with the bracket and DataDot from factory.
Old 07-11-06, 07:27 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

RX350 already came with the bracket and DataDot from factory.
Ummm, in apparent contrast with the OP's RX350, whose headlights still got stolen and was told the dealer should've done datadots?
Old 07-11-06, 07:30 AM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Also, why is there no datadot warning sticker on the side windshield on the RX350s like the dealer-installed RX330s?
Old 07-11-06, 07:38 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Assuming that the RX headlights are stolen and retrofitted into another model car, what value do the datadots serve? I can't imagine that the local police carry a UV light and magnifier to check all HID lights. Unless the stolen lights were installed in another RX, I can't see where the datadots are a deterrent.
Old 07-11-06, 08:48 AM
navilexus
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I can see there are bracket on RX350

Last week when I replaced my HID Bulb, YES I did see the Bracket, but don't know how good those brackets can handle the force.

Thef stealing Lexus Headlight last week in Boston, MA. Read

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...h_speed_chase/
Old 07-12-06, 02:30 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gibster
Assuming that the RX headlights are stolen and retrofitted into another model car, what value do the datadots serve? I can't imagine that the local police carry a UV light and magnifier to check all HID lights. Unless the stolen lights were installed in another RX, I can't see where the datadots are a deterrent.
First off to the two members that got the headlight stolen I'm sorry it happened to you. Theives just suck period

If you look back at other topics we discussed bout this that is the same question I had back then as well. The data dots will do nothing to prevent theft. Also, as you mentioned, people stealing these lights are opening them up and using the projector itself only so data dots will be useless. Then, on the off chance it is being used on stolen cars and the policed were find it in tact months or years later, why would anyone want their broken HID headlights back anyway? The way they rip these headlights out is to simply break off the mounting tabs usualy by prying with a crow bar or something similar. With the new secure brackets it makes it a little harder, but as we just learned from the above posts they are still quite easy to steal and probably could inflict more damage on the car as they try to rip the headlights out harder. Even if the secure bracket does spoil a theft attempt and the headlights remain, they will be damaged and need to be replaced anyway. Personally, I believe the secure bracket and data dots where done to quiet public outcry since the general public doesn't really understand how thieves are using these solen headlights.
Old 07-29-06, 05:40 AM
M3 Bob
Driver School Candidate

Had an attempt to steal my 2006 RX 330 headlights also last week. Although they left the headlight fixture dangling it still had to be replaced beacause of the damage to it. And the fender, hood and bumper were also damaged and had to repaired/painted.

In my opinion the bracket and dots had zero deterent effect and resulted in the same cost and aggravation as if they weren't there. Since the headlight still had to be replaced and the same body damage occurred. The only possible positive is the theif didn't get the projector. But that may be because they were scared off before finishing the job in a busy parking lot rather than the bracket and dots.

I have to agree this is more of an emotional/psychological and PR fix than an effective deterent.

I have Bi-Xenons in my 2002 M3 that are just as good if not better for the intended purpose (lighting the road) and they don't have this hit and run vulnerability (gone in 60 seconds). The biggest deterent to thieves is time. This has been a problem for quite awhile now and Lexus needs to step up to the plate with a better fix/design so this isn't quick and easy. .

Last edited by M3 Bob; 07-29-06 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 05:54 AM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only real benefit of the data dots is catching the thief with the unit in his possession. This will link him to stealing from your vehicle and aid in prosecution. As for deterrence, you don’t really know how many thieves it deters; you just know how many it doesn’t. If yours are stolen all you can do is call the police and your insurance company.
Old 08-06-06, 12:58 AM
07rx350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crosborne
The only real benefit of the data dots is catching the thief with the unit in his possession. This will link him to stealing from your vehicle and aid in prosecution. As for deterrence, you don’t really know how many thieves it deters; you just know how many it doesn’t. If yours are stolen all you can do is call the police and your insurance company.
Sorry to hear the problems. Thieves don't get deterred by the datadot for sure. It is mainly for getting caught with it and getting prosecuted or if it is found and can be traced back to the owner.