RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

To rust proof or not, that is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 03:39 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rky, why do you say that? Do you have evidence or documentation to support that claim?

And if that is the case, then why would Lexus seemingly, at least from the crude evidence I and a local auto repair shop can detect at the drain holes on all my doors add the coating to the interior of the doors, and I hope to the underside of the car, where frankly a lot of areas seem to be uncoated, it is hard to tell there?
Old 09-26-03, 09:09 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

It is aftermarket rustproofing that does more harm than good, not the factory stuff you are looking at.
The following users liked this post:
Yoosi (10-24-23)
Old 09-26-03, 12:46 PM
parula
Instructor

MIke, while I have read about problems with aftermarket treatments, that isn't the case apparently for my Honda or prior Pontiac as I mentioned above in this thread. I am still considering it for the RX'03 on some areas of the underside, not sure yet though.

Both cars had no apparent serious rust I could detect, the Honda now has some around the wheel wells but elsewhere it is great after 17 years. This is probably also a testament to Honda's quality and zinc'd metal below, even in 1986!
Old 09-26-03, 02:42 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

There have been articles in different automotive publications recommending against rustproofing but the only recommendations for rustproofing seem to come from rustproofing companies and dealers. Here is a quote from Motor Trend:
"The only thing added rustproofing protects is your dealer's bank account. In fact, the materials and methods used can actually damage your car's built-in rust protection or encourage corrosion if improperly applied. Same goes for the infamous "Five-Year Sealer-Wax Protectant." Just Say No. "

I plan on keeping my 2001 RX SS until the end. I am interested in seeing how long it will last and plan to adhere to the Lexus maintenance schedule and not fall the dealers unnecessary fluid changes, etc. I guess when it comes to rustproofing, there really is no definitive answer. I will take the chance without it rather than take the chance with it.

Last edited by mikey00; 09-26-03 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-27-03, 11:04 AM
parula
Instructor

I'm doing the same thing, keeping it and waiting. I am going to really examine the underside every year and if I start seeing rust or corrosion as someone at Lexus mentioned they have noticed along the coast then I will have it fixed and coated. The underside of the car has a lot of bare metal and what are apparently painted surfaces, with regard to Fern's original question it's going to be interesting to see how the RX holds up without a full layer of sealer underneath. I have to say that a casual inspection of our '99 didn't reveal much trouble after 3.75 years.
Old 09-27-03, 09:22 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Verdict is out

Dealer said if I rust proof during the corrosion warranty period, then warranty is over.

Any aftermarket product which is applied may react with sound deadening and rust protection products in cavities and thus void warranty.

The thing that prompted me to consider it in the first place was the inside of the rear bumper which started to show corrosion.

I will lay off it for now and just monitor the corrosion progress.

Thanks to all for the input.

Cheers,

Fern
Old 09-28-03, 07:23 AM
parula
Instructor

Fern, what year is your car? (you might consider a signature for this site that shows your car year, etc.)

Where exactly do you notice corrosion? What made you look there?

Have you brought it to the dealer's attention and what did they say???

Have you asked them to repair or coat it?

Do you live near the coast, someone told me Lexus has seen corrosion in cars near the coast?

I was looking at Toyota Rav4 and a dealer on the east coast told me all their cars come with the coating package in response to my question about it, a cool $600 or so, but he said they need it there with the ocean air. On the Rav it is marketed as a soundproofing too.
Old 09-29-03, 08:55 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

signiture updated.

My previous car was a pathfinder w/ chrome bumpers where the rear bumper was a rust magnet. When I looked inside the Lexus rear bumper, low and behold- rust.

Thats what got me thinking about rust proofing.

Thanks for the input guys...

I'm not near the coast (east central Canada)- Ontario to be exact.

Cheers,

Fern
The following users liked this post:
Yoosi (10-24-23)
Old 09-29-03, 03:26 PM
parula
Instructor

Fern, not to pester, but where is the corrosion or rust on your rear bumper? Are you looking inside from underneath the car?? IS it in the center or all over, color, texure, etc. are all good clues to help other locate similar problems.

Is your car under waranty?

Appreciate your help, I am interested because I want to know where to look specifically on mine!
tia
Old 09-29-03, 05:14 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally posted by parula
Fern, not to pester, but where is the corrosion or rust on your rear bumper? Are you looking inside from underneath the car?? IS it in the center or all over, color, texure, etc. are all good clues to help other locate similar problems.

Is your car under waranty?

Appreciate your help, I am interested because I want to know where to look specifically on mine!
tia
Look under the car - behind the rear bumper- you will see the support which sits behind the bumper cover.
Mine was showing surface corrosion and as we all know that leads to other stuff.

Yes car is under warranty, but dealer would just do the same thing I did. Wipe off most of the corrosion and apply anti- drip product like Rust Check or similar.

I noticed it more in the centre of the bumper, I guess that is where the most road debris and salt collects.

NOW this should be a dead topic,

Cheers,

Fern
Old 10-15-03, 10:41 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Purchase an electronic corrosion protection system...thats the simpler way.
Old 10-15-03, 03:36 PM
parula
Instructor

PHML , how does that work and where do I get it ! tia
Old 10-16-03, 06:31 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Just go to Google and do a search on Electronic Rustproofing. A ton of sites will pop up. After you purchase it I have a bridge you may be interested in.
Old 10-16-03, 03:36 PM
parula
Instructor

Mike, tia.
Old 10-19-03, 12:34 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by mikey00
Just go to Google and do a search on Electronic Rustproofing. A ton of sites will pop up. After you purchase it I have a bridge you may be interested in.
I've had these systems in all my cars and NONE has any corrosion at all. Im a firm believer. I speak from experience.

Quick Reply: To rust proof or not, that is the question!