RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19, 03:13 PM
75ta4sell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues

WOW, I am completely lost on this site so please don't yell at me. I search starting problems with not much luck. My 03 started the other day but I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. I read that the IACV may need cleaned. We weren't having the RPM problems but thought this might be a good place to start. Wasn't able to remove the electrical component due to stripped screws so I sprayed cleaning fluid anyway. Put back together and the vehicle wouldn't start. Was finally able to remove the stripped heads to inspect and was able to move IACV back and forth with no problems. Reassembled and still no starting. Could I have damaged the electrical component since it was not removed before cleaning???? A side bar: It has an aftermarket remote start that has been taking over the vehicle. The past couple of weeks we have to depress the brake when starting so the remote doesn't try to engage.
Once again, take it easy on this old man, THANKS IN ADVANCE, if I can even find it!!!!
Old 05-04-19, 03:52 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
Smile

Maybe your remote start is giving you the issue, Can it be bypassed to see? Sorry never had one of those. By the way welcome to this site.
Old 05-04-19, 10:29 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by 75ta4sell
WOW, I am completely lost on this site so please don't yell at me. I search starting problems with not much luck. My 03 started the other day but I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling. I read that the IACV may need cleaned. We weren't having the RPM problems but thought this might be a good place to start. Wasn't able to remove the electrical component due to stripped screws so I sprayed cleaning fluid anyway. Put back together and the vehicle wouldn't start. Was finally able to remove the stripped heads to inspect and was able to move IACV back and forth with no problems. Reassembled and still no starting. Could I have damaged the electrical component since it was not removed before cleaning???? A side bar: It has an aftermarket remote start that has been taking over the vehicle. The past couple of weeks we have to depress the brake when starting so the remote doesn't try to engage.
Once again, take it easy on this old man, THANKS IN ADVANCE, if I can even find it!!!!
This is not the Forum where any one tries to yell at other posters irrespective of age, sex, novice or not, To begin with we do not have bad behavior and none will be tolerated. We take pride that the language, tone and tenor is of the highest quality.

We are here to help each other.

I would suggest going through the sticky thread "Having problems .. Start here".

I would further suggest that eliminate the imobolzer, by confirming that the spark is present. Open up #2 plug and place it on the valve cover. If no spark then chase remote starter. If there is spark, then hold the gas pedal 1/4 to 1/3 down.

Salim
Old 05-05-19, 01:41 PM
75ta4sell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who read and to those who replied, especially for the welcome from thomas1!! Like a goober, I didn't have all the intake installed, so I'm sure that messed with the IACV. The vehicle is running, although the RPMs seem a little low, I'm going to give it a little while after the cleaning to adjust. I guess there's a lesson to be learned here: As Mom always said, make sure you wear clean underwear every day, and make sure you change your air filter every year!! GO JACKETS
Old 05-05-19, 04:54 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

The idle rpm after warmup [temp gauge around middle] should be around 725~750. If it is erratic then some hose is off.

Salim