RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Last couple issues on my Navigation Install - need AVC-LAN help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 11:38 AM
yudkib
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last couple issues on my Navigation Install - need AVC-LAN help

As some of you might know, I took it on myself to put together a custom navigation harness and retrofit it into a 00 RX. As far as I can tell, aside from tapping the wrong side of the reverse switch (fixed - oops), the harness seems to be correct.

I've got a couple small gremlins I'm still chasing though and hopeful someone can help, especially forcing AVC-LAN circuit diagnostics. A bit of background. The navigation unit is a Gen 4 running map disk 6.1. It came out of a '07 Highlander. The multidisplay is OEM and seems to function perfectly. The antenna is an ebay special but people have had good track records with them from what I've seen on other forums.

Here's the stuff I'm currently chasing.
1) Multidisplay won't enter diagnostic mode. This is the Display + touch top left / bottom left 3x thing. NOT the nav override which is a different menu (and does not work with Gen 4 nav units using disc 6.1). Supposedly, holding info while blinking headlights 4 times works. Not for me.
The FSM says you can force diagnostic mode by removing the unit, then bypassing the radio by jumping the vehicle-side harness on the AVC-LAN pins. This isn't working for me either. According to the FSM, this means the nav unit is dead. The end. But being an engineer, I attempted to ALSO jump the navigation unit side of the harness to see if it would restore communication, but it didn't change anything. Does anyone know more about the AVC-LAN diagnostic procedure?

2) Turn-by-turn mutes all 4 stereo channels but subwoofer, and does not give turn-by-turn. FSM points to dead Nav unit (again). These symptoms make absolutely no sense to me. The nav unit sits in-line with the left front speaker, which works all other times. The wire for that channel literally runs through the nav unit. So it probably is not a short on the mute circuit - a short would cause the mute at all times. But on the other hand, the harness connector on the nav unit that's wired to the amp does not even carry a mute signal wire. I have zero idea how the amp communicates to the radio which presumably sends a mute, especially since the LAN circuit is malfunctioning. Plus I thought the LAN circuit only carried diagnostic information anyways. Has anyone seen these symptoms? What the heck is going on here?

3) GPS antenna not working, ordered a replacement. Will advise.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-05-19, 12:03 PM
yudkib
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also I apologize for the lengthy and extremely technical nature of these questions