RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front Lower Control Arm Crossthreaded

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 10:58 AM
gookies
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Lower Control Arm Crossthreaded

I changed my front lower control arms probably over a year ago and did run into some problems, but thought it was solved, until now. Seems like one of the control arm bolts that bolts into the frame is crossthreaded, it just keeps spinning when I tighten or loosen it, but it takes a good amount of torque to get it to move. Is there a welded nut or something in the frame? I'm assuming that came loose and I'm unsure how to fix it. The other bolts are fine and torqued to spec.
Old 11-03-18, 12:30 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

How did you miss the cross-threading when you replaced it?

I assume you are referring to one of the two bolts that are next to each other in the middle of the arm. I thought the frame was threaded for those two bolts, when I replaced mine.

Maybe you could add some JB weld (or a similar epoxy) to the perimeter of the bolt head to keep it from moving and loosening.
The following users liked this post:
gookies (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 12:42 PM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmus
How did you miss the cross-threading when you replaced it?

I assume you are referring to one of the two bolts that are next to each other in the middle of the arm. I thought the frame was threaded for those two bolts, when I replaced mine.

Maybe you could add some JB weld (or a similar epoxy) to the perimeter of the bolt head to keep it from moving and loosening.
I replaced the bolts with two new ones, and when I replaced it, it seemed fine, it didn't seem loose or anything, but as I stated, it takes some torque to even turn it now. I saw that depending on how I position the bolt (if that makes sense), it doesn't feel loose, so maybe that's how I missed it back then, but I didn't torque them correctly at the time either, it's why I noticed it today because I wanted to re-torque everything. It's been parked for over a year now and I just put insurance back on it recently.

Also, it's not loosening, it just feels loose, it seems like whatever it's threaded into was knocked out inside of the frame; that's why I'm assuming there was some welded nut on the inside that came off and it's the reason why I can no longer loosen or tighten down the bolt. So maybe I'm using the wrong terminology depending on how the frame is threaded. I'm thinking of getting a shop to just weld that portion onto the frame, it's highly unlikely I'm going to replace the LCAs again in the future, the vehicle will probably be toast/scrapped by then, or might just go with your option of using JB Weld; the control arm is flush to the frame and there is minimal movement in the bolt.

Last edited by gookies; 11-03-18 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 06:26 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I'd replace entire CA. Where anything will be welded by shop - it will crack. Also, it will cost you about same, as to replace entire CA, if not more, when going through the shop to "fix" it.
Old 11-04-18, 07:19 AM
gookies
Rookie

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I'd replace entire CA. Where anything will be welded by shop - it will crack. Also, it will cost you about same, as to replace entire CA, if not more, when going through the shop to "fix" it.
Did you understand what's wrong? There's nothing wrong with the LCA, it's the threaded portion in the frame.
Old 11-04-18, 04:37 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Oh, my bad. I saw "control arm" so many times... stuck to me. So you are referring to one of the bolts that goes through that "bar" with 2 holes.... Sorry, man, tough luck.
Old 11-04-18, 08:58 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I did replace the LCA on RX but dont remember much as it was uneventful.

While working on rear, i had to remove the long frame [body really] bolts. The nuts had a dove-tail type of piece welded to them. This allowed the nut to spin till it hit the blockage and then the bolt started tightening or loosening. Almost 320 degrees of free spin.

It maybe worth looking at the parts diagram to see what is going on with the nut.

Another trick is to increase friction by pulling out the bolt with a screwdriver or crowbar.

Last tip is .. make sure you are using the right length bolt in the right hole.

Salim