RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

VVT Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 04:24 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default VVT Failure?

02' 270k AWD
i'm getting back on the highway during a long cross country trip and I accelerate enough to downshift to second to about 5000 RPM burning oil out of the tailpipe and she starts to shudder and the check engine light is flashing. During normal load, everything feels fine but while accelerating the engine shutters and the check engine light is flashing during that time. I'm thinking something with the variable valve timing system has failed. I will read the codes tomorrow, but has anyone else had these symptoms???
Old 06-20-18, 05:05 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Need codes, however there are little screens in the VVT Valves that can clog and caused this issue. Also the FFT valves may be failing. They can also be the culprit not allowing proper cam shaft timing.
Old 06-21-18, 02:04 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Thanks. What are FFT valves?
Old 06-21-18, 08:31 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

So sorry, I meant the VVT solenoids. There is one on each bank of engine to control the Cam timing.
Old 06-21-18, 08:33 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ement-diy.html
Old 06-21-18, 10:47 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You have two VVT solenoid filters. If they were never cleaned, they ARE dirty at that mileage. They are rather very easy to get to. Both are on the transmission engine side. Takes some hand wiggling but not bad. Be advised that their bases are made out of some very brittle plastic that, at this mileage, is easy to snap. Filter comes out with that base. So be very careful with them. Any brake cleaner will do to clean them. Maybe even take solenoid sout and spray clean them.
Now, you are burning oil. Keep in mind, VVT operates off proper oil pressure. If you have poor oil pressure and supply to VVT, then here ya go.
Old 06-21-18, 10:59 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Just keep in mind that it, also, may be EGR. It does do shuddering acceleration.
Old 06-21-18, 12:07 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for your replies. The codes I am getting are for multiple cylinder misfire’s. I talked to my mechanic who is familiar with the car, and he said it’s probably not the variable valve timing system. He said to check my plugs and perhaps the coil packs, and at that mileage I might have a potential intake manifold leak. So lots of fun things to check on the car. Did a little digging on YouTube and I did come across those Oil screens for the VVT system. Thank you for that. I’ll see what I come up with. Thanksand oh by the way I drove the car today and just seems fine. I did not get the engine as hot as it was when this problem first appeared however. I’ll have to take it on a nice long highway drive and see if it reappears. I’ll post my experiences along the way. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-18, 06:18 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

colenzae,
Report the codes. We are guessing otherwise.
Old 06-22-18, 07:09 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

So here are the codes I read yesterday:
The evaporation system has a slow leak so I knew about that one already.
P0171 bank 1 system too lean
P0440 evap emission system
P0446 evap vent control circuit
P0300 multiple misfire
P0301 cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0304 cylinder 4 misfire detected
Old 06-22-18, 01:11 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

P0171 points at your O2 sensor.
Misfire codes are your spark plugs and coil packs. I'd say, as they are around $70 new at parts store - coil packs - do them same time. Otherwise, you have to move coil pack from cylinder to cylinder to determine, if it were plug or coil pack cause and on bank 1 head it's a total PITA to do. While you are THERE, just do it all. Not worth doing over.
Old 06-22-18, 06:35 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
P0171 points at your O2 sensor.
Misfire codes are your spark plugs and coil packs. I'd say, as they are around $70 new at parts store - coil packs - do them same time. Otherwise, you have to move coil pack from cylinder to cylinder to determine, if it were plug or coil pack cause and on bank 1 head it's a total PITA to do. While you are THERE, just do it all. Not worth doing over.
I was thinking the same thing. If I'm going to dig to the back of the engine again to replace the spark plugs with the age and mileage I might as will just replace the coil packs as well. I'm planning to go with the original equipment Denso coils and I believe the OEM plugs are NGK iridium.
Old 06-23-18, 10:01 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

I found when changing the rear coils/plugs without removing the intake manifold, the toughest part was unplugging the coils. Especially #3 in the middle.

You can also use Denso Iridium Plugs SK20R11 as OEM. NGK makes an iridium OEM plug as well.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...park-plug.html
Old 06-23-18, 04:23 PM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Lexmus is correct! That middle rear plug is a bear! I recall using a combination of ratchet wrench extenders to get at it. If I used a regular spark plug wrench with a rubber insert to seat the new plug, I couldn't get the socket off the plug. The rubber insert gripped the plug too tightly. It was great for removing the old plug, though!
Old 06-23-18, 06:16 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trhs75
Lexmus is correct! That middle rear plug is a bear! I recall using a combination of ratchet wrench extenders to get at it. If I used a regular spark plug wrench with a rubber insert to seat the new plug, I couldn't get the socket off the plug. The rubber insert gripped the plug too tightly. It was great for removing the old plug, though!
Indeed, that middle rear plug is great fun!!! Part of me thinks I will go into ludicrous mode and remove EVERYTHING to give me unrestricted access. My front valve cover is seeping oil so I might as well replace the rear one as well when I am back there. Inspect and clean the VVT solenoids and screen as well...anyone know of anything else back there I may as well change while I am back there???

Quick Reply: VVT Failure?