RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Key dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-17, 07:11 AM
1stlink
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key dilemma

First, Thanks to all who contributed to the wealth of information in this Forum.

#1 Bought used 2002 RX300, ONE key. #2 Bought 2 New Blanks on eBay(keylessking) #3 Tried to program unsuccessfully. #4 Several messages to seller and I'm told finally the Keys are not compatible. - More info: My Key that came with truck purchase is marked : "CMII ID: 2005DJ1379 MODEL: 12BBY-08 DENSO" Seller key labeled "NI4TMTX-1". Seller has messaged to return keys for refund without any explanation or offer to replace.
My dilemma: Programming sequence has rendered my original key's remote function inoperable, no lock/unlock doors but it works OK in ignition. Seller (keylessking) has ignored repeated requests for fix instructions. I have spent hours on this forum researching Key Programming procedures etc. and have questions. #1: Is my key an original Master key or a copy? #2: Can I safely reprogram my key to Lock/Unlock doors without doing more damage? Any answers and or comments will be greatly appreciated and I'm still looking for a provider of replacement keys that work!

Image of the instructions from keylessking follows. I think that part of the problem is Item #9 which states to "turn On & Off TWICE". After researching, I believe this should have stated "once" instead of "TWICE"

Programming Source as provided by eBay seller: https://www.remotesremotes.com/Repla...ons-s/6647.htm

Last edited by 1stlink; 12-30-17 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Add link
Old 12-26-17, 07:52 AM
1stlink
Driver School Candidate

Reprogramed my original key to work properly using instructions in previous post but with modified step #9 (Once Not Twice).

Upon further review: My RX300 key that came with a Used RX purchase is a Denso w/Lexus logo and so called Laser-Cut blade but when checking the FCC numbers, it matches up as a Toyota key (eBay, etc.) Toyota keys on eBay with same ID (12BBY08 CMII ID: 2005DJ1379) have 4 buttons. No exact matches for my key on-line, eBay or elsewhere.

Local dealer quote Prepay $285 for a cut blank(1 day) + $80 for programming which was actually cheaper than the only qualified local locksmith's Over $400 price which I did't write down...wow.. I believe that I'll be visiting Mr Germain (Lexus Dealer) as I feel very uncomfortable having only 1 key. I have heard that if I lost my key the cost would jump to $3000 to $4000 for new control or whatever it is called...
Attached Thumbnails Key dilemma-img_1649.jpg  
Old 12-26-17, 09:23 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Can I request that you add to the thread where you picked up the instructions. Or just provide a link to this in there. That will help the next person who attempts to follow the steps.. Updating there has other benefits like ,,, a confirmation.

I like the title of your thread. Although the user name you chose makes me look twice. I do need readers I guess.

Sslim
Old 12-26-17, 09:26 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stlink
Upon further review: My RX300 key that came with a Used RX purchase is a Denso w/Lexus logo and so called Laser-Cut blade but when checking the FCC numbers, it matches up as a Toyota key (eBay, etc.) Toyota keys on eBay with same ID (12BBY08 CMII ID: 2005DJ1379) have 4 buttons. ..
All original Lexus and Toyota are made by Denso so it is not technically a second hand key. It is probably the original or OEM key you have with you. Some dealers where I live actually price match with other third party key programmers. I don't know if this is only in Canada, but you may want to ask about price matching if the dealer is asking for too much.
Old 12-26-17, 01:59 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have purchased several replacement/additional keys for my RX300 and my mother's ES300 over the years.

I have found the most cost-effective method is a 2-step process. In the first step, the cut key and shell are purchased on eBay. The company offers to cut the blank from either the key code or a photo of the key blank. I don't recall if any ownership proof is required. This is all that is needed if the shell has broken. The innards are then placed in the new key shell.

The second step is to purchase a used magnetic innards on eBay. This is what needs to have the RX300 programmed to "learn" the new code.

As I recall, the total price is about $100-$120. I know there are other ways, but this has worked for me several times.
Old 12-30-17, 07:54 AM
1stlink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Can I request that you add to the thread where you picked up the instructions. Or just provide a link to this in there. That will help the next person who attempts to follow the steps.. Updating there has other benefits like ,,, a confirmation.

I like the title of your thread. Although the user name you chose makes me look twice. I do need readers I guess.

Sslim
Thanks Sslim, Link added as requested. No readers necessary! 1st Link Communications was the name of my Pager company that I sold long ago. 1stlink is a Handy user name as I detest the "User Name already in use, Try another" message!
Old 12-30-17, 08:35 AM
1stlink
Driver School Candidate

Cool Key Dilemma the Saga continues..

Thanks, bob2020, mssca, and Sslim... Update: Seller eBay(keylessking) has offered full refund after viewing my key image (FCC No match) and I have returned.

Next I bought 2 precut wo/buttons but with chips from eBay 1010keys $14 ea w/very fast shipping. These keys came ready to program and both Locked/unlocked the doors as well as turn on ignition. However they could not be programmed to start the RX because my key appears to be a clone not a MASTER as required.

Next step is a visit to locksmith and or Lexus dealer (will Toyota dealer make Lexus keys?)

Option #2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexu....c100854.m4779

The above link seems almost too good to be true but I searched for it after reading this UK post on another forum: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...ter-keys-lost/

I would like to know if anyone on CL has experience with this $12 Chinese product? If it works it would be a very low cost solution for many!

Comments welcome..

Cheers,
Ralph (1stlink)
Old 12-30-17, 09:20 AM
salimshah

The problem will remain ,,, you will need Master Key.

Other solution is to replace the ECU. Make sure you get the ECU with its master key.

Salim
Old 12-30-17, 09:34 AM
1stlink
Driver School Candidate

Other solution is to replace the ECU. Make sure you get the ECU with its master key.

Salim
Thanks Salim, I went ahead and have ordered the $12 Key Maker before your reply so after testing, I'll have more junk laying around.. ECU w/Master is costly as I understand but will look around and will also talk to locksmith, etc. Nor really an emergency but spare key is very desirable.

Thanks again
Old 12-30-17, 09:56 AM
1stlink
Driver School Candidate

Salim
Found USED ECU with 1 key for 150. Is changing this an easy DIY project? 1 to 10?.. Thanx.
Old 12-30-17, 08:29 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by 1stlink
Found USED ECU with 1 key for 150. Is changing this an easy DIY project? 1 to 10?.. Thanx.
I have not done it so in theory it should not be too difficult. I would wait to see a reply from other member(s) who have done it ... specially the quirks encountered afterwards.

You would need reassurance that the key is registered master key.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
1stlink (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 07:16 AM
Hgspine
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having recently experienced some key issues on my 2001 RX300, I have found the following:

1. Master key with uncut blank key (including remote transmitter): Lexus part number 89070-48020. Master key case with uncut blank key (not including remote transmitter): Lexus part number 89072-48380. Valet sub key with uncut blank key: Lexus part number 89786-50030. Battery CR1616 lithium.

2. Master key case and blank key Lexus part number 89072-48380 key would only program with a remote transmitter inside it.

3. If you have a "lazy" door lock actuator that will not rapidly fully lock and/or unlock the driver's door when repetitively cycled using the power lock button, you can still program the remote transmitter by manually cycling the door lock button (referred to in the Owner's Manual as the " inside lock ****") located above the inside door handle.

4. I have found the following instructions to be correct:

Key Programming Instructions:
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming, step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode.

Remote Transmitter Programming Instructions: (Add Mode: Adds a transmitter without erasing existing transmitter codes if number of registered codes is 3 or less. Four transmitter codes can be registered at one time. If number of registered codes is at remote transmitter capacity of 4 registered codes, previously registered codes are erased in order starting with the first registered code.)
1. Driver's door OPEN and unlocked, all other doors closed and locked.
2. Insert your new key in ignition, DO NOT TURN, remove key.
3. Using EITHER the POWER or the MANUAL lock/unlock button on the driver’s door, press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
4. Shut driver’s door.
5. Open driver’s door.
6. Using EITHER the POWER or the MANUAL lock/unlock button on the driver’s door, press lock and unlock 5 times (count the lock 5 times and unlock 5 times).
7. With the driver’s door open insert your key into the ignition, turn to on position (DON'T START), wait 5 seconds. Turn off and remove key.
8. Locks should cycle once (Car will lock and then unlock once). If they don't cycle or they cycle more than once, do steps 1-7 over.

9. Complete the following in 40 seconds or less: Press transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for at least 1.5 seconds, and then within 3 seconds, press any transmitter button for at least one second. Go to next step.
10. If within 3 seconds, door locks’ cycle one time, new transmitter code has been successfully accepted. Go to next step. If door locks cycle 2 times, new transmitter code was not accepted. To program an additional transmitter or to make a second attempt, return to step 10 within 40 seconds.
11. Registration of recognition codes is complete under any of the following conditions:
* Forty seconds has elapsed since wireless door lock ECU has responded.
* Driver’s door is closed.
* Key is inserted in the ignition key cylinder.
* Four recognition codes are registered at one time.

Last edited by Hgspine; 01-07-18 at 06:02 AM.