RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New buyer looking at a 1st gen around 130k.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 01:19 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw and drove another one that was even better. It had michellin tires on it which to me is always a good first sign. It was a 1999 awd model with with about 120k. The car originated in texas... drives great and they are asking 3300. Not too confident about the out of state thing again also carfax notes that it was in an accident but on the very top of the report says never been in accident. What does that even mean? Just a small fender bender that was reported to insurance? Also I noticed significant oil on the valve cover that most likely leaked out the gasket.. is this a big problem on these cars or just put in a new gasket and fix it for about 100 bucks. The last thing is that it doesn't have factory wheels they put some chrome looking wheels that look like lexus wheels just without the logo (It's also possible they are the real wheels but the center caps were removed i dunno). I checked for everything you guys had recommended the fluid colors looked great, no strange noises, no apparent rust (although I didn't put it up in the air yet), shifts good. Is this a good find? Assuming it gets the ok from a mechanic or should I still be looking for a fwd and not an awd. Thanks again for your help guys.
Old 09-05-17, 04:42 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Dangerously close to buying this car as I see it being picked up fast by someone. Any reason I should avoid assuming it checks out inspection wise. The valve cover leak, and possible non factory wheels are my only questionables.
Old 09-05-17, 06:44 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Who cares about the wheels if they fit and look good. As for the valve cover gasket, is it front or rear?
Old 09-05-17, 07:30 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Who cares about the wheels if they fit and look good. As for the valve cover gasket, is it front or rear?
Main concern about the wheels is usually when you get replicas they tend to be the lowest grade quality standards, i've seen many crack completely. I'm not sure how the engine placement is on this car but the leaking was on the passenger side of the car if that helps from top to bottom.
Old 09-05-17, 10:34 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Take off the plastic engine cover and the front three ignition coils are facing you in the front valve cover. The rear valve cover is mostly hidden by the intake plenum, but the passenger side of the cover is visible, and holds the PCV valve.
Old 09-05-17, 10:43 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Take off the plastic engine cover and the front three ignition coils are facing you in the front valve cover. The rear valve cover is mostly hidden by the intake plenum, but the passenger side of the cover is visible, and holds the PCV valve.
Is the location where its leaking a big issue.. since it seemed to be leaking from front to back its likely both valve cover gaskets that would need changing (you usually change them in pairs anyway right?), i didn't get a chance to take off the engine cover but would this be a serious indication or problem on this car? I've replaced valve cover gaskets before and it's never been serious except for a vw I had that somehow leaked so much it flooded the spark plugs. The next time I look at the car will probably be to hoist it up on the lift.
Old 09-06-17, 04:27 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

The front valve cover gasket is a piece of cake to change. the rear is a bear. I was quoted $600 for labor by a toyota dealer to change the rear valve cover gasket. Mine wasn't leaking, I wanted to change out the valve cover itself to the 3rd generation version I had earlier purchased to fix an oil burning issue. I ended up doing it myself, but it took all day. It did fix the oil burning issue, as it has for many on this forum.

If only one is leaking, most likely the other will shortly. It is the rear that is the bulk of the labor charge.
Old 09-08-17, 08:51 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

So I went ahead and got the car. I found a 1 owner, clean title 1999 150k mi fwd but seems to be fully loaded as it has the tow hitch, roof rack and a special bronze metallic paint the guy said he had to be on a waitlist for. Drives great... the guy literally just put on new tires the dots are even still on them. Belts were changed recently, front brake pads are new. I think rotors may have been cut at some point or the rear pads may just be bad (or cheap) as I did begin to hear squeal but this is after the car had been driven atleast 80 miles in the la heat. I had my mech lift it up and he said its completely dry no leaks... he looked at the valve cover gaskets and no leaks there either. The car does have some body marks and a dent but nothing I really am too concerned with and the interior is great no rips or anything. One question I was told that new spark plugs on this car was a very difficult job and expensive I was just curious as to why ( I don't think they are in need of replacement just wondering). Thanks for the advice guys it was all very helpful, here are some pics.
Old 09-09-17, 06:57 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

The rear plugs are under the intake plenum. They can be changed without removing the plenum (I have done so). But the mechanic is pricing the removal of the plenum as part of the job.

To do it without removing the plenum, just need a 3/8" socket extension set and a 5/8" magnetic spark plug socket, and small enough hands to reach in to unplug the ignition coils. Look up threads on changing the spark plugs.
Old 09-23-17, 05:56 PM
ftrain
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaltonB
So I went ahead and got the car. I found a 1 owner, clean title 1999 150k mi fwd but seems to be fully loaded as it has the tow hitch, roof rack and a special bronze metallic paint the guy said he had to be on a waitlist for. Drives great... the guy literally just put on new tires the dots are even still on them. Belts were changed recently, front brake pads are new. I think rotors may have been cut at some point or the rear pads may just be bad (or cheap) as I did begin to hear squeal but this is after the car had been driven atleast 80 miles in the la heat. I had my mech lift it up and he said its completely dry no leaks... he looked at the valve cover gaskets and no leaks there either. The car does have some body marks and a dent but nothing I really am too concerned with and the interior is great no rips or anything. One question I was told that new spark plugs on this car was a very difficult job and expensive I was just curious as to why ( I don't think they are in need of replacement just wondering). Thanks for the advice guys it was all very helpful, here are some pics.
Looks good..if it turns out as good as you have described you may have a winner. I just bought a 1999 RX300 for $2400 with 150K in Ga but it needed a few things and was not as nice as your pics. Best of luck, and be sure to browse the forums thoroughly as their is a wealth of information here.

I will share my first impressions of our RX:

1) Its a Toyota, basically, and I have owned a few. Drives and feel like a Toyota, reminds me of our 98 Sienna but much nicer and sportier looking of course
2) Certain parts, while still quoting #1 above, are still Lexus only (interior, etc) and can be pricey.
3) Keys are a bear. Hopefully you got more than one and at least one master.
4) Watch the lock cylinders for wear, especially if you dont have a remote fob key and need to use the physical key a bunch. Many Toyota's and Lexus' have issues with the lock cylinders as they age.

Other common problems are outlined in the rx300 section of the forum.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-17, 11:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man I love that metallic bronze/brown color!!!! Seems like Lexus had some weird factory mirror tint going on in the early 1st gen RX. It kind of varied in color according to the factory paint. Your car doesn't seem to have any tint on the rear windows. Other than taking care of maintence, finding just that right shade of mirror tint would be my next priority. Something about the 1st gen RX and mirror tint just go together.

Old 09-26-17, 03:54 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man I love that metallic bronze/brown color!!!! Seems like Lexus had some weird factory mirror tint going on in the early 1st gen RX. It kind of varied in color according to the factory paint. Your car doesn't seem to have any tint on the rear windows. Other than taking care of maintence, finding just that right shade of mirror tint would be my next priority. Something about the 1st gen RX and mirror tint just go together.

Thanks I like it also, I don't see many others on the road but it looks really unique up close with the metallic flake. I believe the guy may have had the car tinted more as I put on some polarized glasses and saw that typical tint glue in some areas. But i'm used to 20-30% tint so I feel like i'm in a fish bowl right now driving this car.. i'm definitely gonna have it tinted. Have not tried metallic before but I know it is like a staple of this car so I will probably end up going with that. Thanks for the advice.