RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Both Rear Doors cannot close

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 07:22 AM
hlu
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Both Rear Doors cannot close

Help, Help, Help

The weather goes down to single digit (5 degree) today. As usual, I put my stuff in the rear seat before I drove to work, I found that I no longer could close the rear door. I tried the other rear door to see what happen. Ooops, I could not close it either after I opened it. Now both rear doors are open. Are there something broken, or what went wrong? Thank you very much.
Old 01-07-14, 07:38 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the latches fully open? Maybe they are partially closed and hit the striker such that they cannot close around it as they should.
Old 01-07-14, 07:44 AM
hlu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Z07
Did the latches fully open? Maybe they are partially closed and hit the striker such that they cannot close around it as they should.
When I pulled the door handle to see the latch, I could not see anything moving.
Old 01-07-14, 07:48 AM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hlu
When I pulled the door handle to see the latch, I could not see anything moving.
Normal.

But is the latch in the open position? IOW is it like a C or is it like an upside down U? in between?
Old 01-07-14, 08:42 AM
hlu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Z07
Normal.

But is the latch in the open position? IOW is it like a C or is it like an upside down U? in between?
The latch is like a C. When I check the latch, the rear door on the driver side is OK now, but on the passenger side still cannot be closed. I am wondering that probably is due to the weather (cross my fingers).
Old 01-07-14, 08:46 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Extreme cold can do funny things.

First I would say move the vehicle to a warm covered space (above freezing temp).

You can crack open both rear windows and run a strap, from inside to the roof and back to hold the doors shut, and drive to a covered garage. You can try hair dryer on the lock but I am not in favor of that as neglect can cause damage.

Most likely once the moisture is thawed you will be back to normal. Remember to open up the panels and lube the linkages and the lock with appropriate grease which should remove moisture.

If not, then you can take a fat (same or slightly smaller diameter as the 'U' hook on the door jamb. With the door open insert in the door lock receiving slot. With a good grip on the handle move the screwdriver from inside edge to the outside edge of the door. You are mimicking the action the door lock makes over the 'U' hook. Make sure you travel the full slot. Now operate the door release handle and things should be back in sync.

Salim
Old 01-07-14, 08:57 AM
hlu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Extreme cold can do funny things.

First I would say move the vehicle to a warm covered space (above freezing temp).

You can crack open both rear windows and run a strap, from inside to the roof and back to hold the doors shut, and drive to a covered garage. You can try hair dryer on the lock but I am not in favor of that as neglect can cause damage.

Most likely once the moisture is thawed you will be back to normal. Remember to open up the panels and lube the linkages and the lock with appropriate grease which should remove moisture.

If not, then you can take a fat (same or slightly smaller diameter as the 'U' hook on the door jamb. With the door open insert in the door lock receiving slot. With a good grip on the handle move the screwdriver from inside edge to the outside edge of the door. You are mimicking the action the door lock makes over the 'U' hook. Make sure you travel the full slot. Now operate the door release handle and things should be back in sync.

Salim
I will move my car to the warmer place, and try the hair dryer. Will update. Many thanks ...
Old 01-07-14, 02:13 PM
hlu
Driver School Candidate

Both doors are back to normal now. This extreme cold weather really did something funny. Salim and Z07, thank you very much.
Old 01-07-14, 07:35 PM
ATLs460
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I grease all my doors at least twice a year. And spray de-icer/lubricant on all locks through the winter on all my cars. Never had a problem.