RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Tacoma Antenna Conversion Power delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 10:19 AM
toy2g
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tacoma Antenna Conversion Power delete

As the title says I just converted my power antenna to a standard antenna.
Using antenna part number 86300-35090 from Toyota ($50ish) and a cheap stubby antenna from eBay.

Tools needed:
10mm wrench
Flat head screw driver
1/8 drill bit
Drill
Saw (of the hack variety)
1 bolt and nut M6 about 20mm long

Below are the steps for this mod reduced to 20 pics. I assumed if you are going to try this mod, you know how to remove the trim in the back pass cargo area.

Last edited by toy2g; 12-30-13 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Added pic and writeup.
Old 12-29-13, 10:28 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

There is no post # requirement to put up pictures.

You have to upload the pictures somewhere, such as photo bucket or flickr (both are free). Then press the image button and put in the link of the picture you uploaded.
Old 12-29-13, 05:17 PM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
There is no post # requirement to put up pictures.

You have to upload the pictures somewhere, such as photo bucket or flickr (both are free). Then press the image button and put in the link of the picture you uploaded.
You were correct sorry. It was just the mobile version that I am not use to that was messing with me.

I took several pics and like I said above, I am willing to do a small write up IF anyone is interested. I doubt many people want to give up the power antenna.

I could not be more happy with the way it turned out.
Old 12-29-13, 06:05 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any difference in performance (signal strength, clarity of channels) with the change in antenna?
Old 12-30-13, 07:13 AM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by aznlapin
Is there any difference in performance (signal strength, clarity of channels) with the change in antenna?
My antenna was stuck half way up, so my signal was not great to start with. The antenna I bought off of eBay had to be modified to use as a real antenna (i will elaborate more if you want). But we drove the RX to MI last yesterday and the FM worked great.
Old 12-30-13, 07:40 AM
toy2g
Driver

FWIW.

I spent a total of $60 on parts. I was not sure any of this was going to work so i just went all in. The antenna I used from eBay (TRD) is not solid, it is just air behind the carbon fiber tube. I drilled the bottom part of the antenna, and the top part of the antenna with a 1/16 drill bit..then i connected them with an aluminum dowel to make it a real antenna. If i had not connected the two PCS with the dowel the top portion of the antenna would not be gaining anything.

That all said, my signal seems to be as good if not better than it was with my half-mast power antenna.

There are MANY antenna options once you install the Tacoma mast. a quick trip to Advanced or auto zone should give you more choices than you can handle. Also, since there is power back to the antenna already, the RX would be a good candidate for a power amplified antenna.

For a little under $60 i have an antenna again that does not look broken, and give me clear FM.

Had this not worked i would have been forced to buy a replacement Lexus antenna anyway.
Old 12-30-13, 07:55 AM
mshumack
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand your motivation for this mod. Is it to save money regarding fixing a broken antenna? I saw a replacement pwr antenna at Swell (Lexus) for $55. Perhaps you are just tired of the sound of the antenna going up and down.
I wonder if the part sticking out would get damaged if you went through a car wash with the motorized brushes.
Old 12-30-13, 08:16 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

If there is a source of water coming in from the top then you must provide drain and every effort should be made that no moisture can come up from below. Else rust will set in.

Amplified antenna:
That may not be a good idea. RX uses 2 antenna and switches source based on signal strength on the fly. If you add amplification in one path, you add real-time delay. ymmv

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 12-30-13 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-30-13, 09:31 AM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by mshumack
I don't understand your motivation for this mod. Is it to save money regarding fixing a broken antenna? I saw a replacement pwr antenna at Swell (Lexus) for $55. Perhaps you are just tired of the sound of the antenna going up and down.
I wonder if the part sticking out would get damaged if you went through a car wash with the motorized brushes.
I simply do not like power antennas, its only a matter of preference. I own several vehicles and if they have a power antenna I have converted them. Luckily, the 2013 4Runder i just bought has a manual antenna, and my 09 4Runnder has both antennas in the glass. My antenna was broken anyway so I chose to do this mod, its not about the money or the noise.

Originally Posted by salimshah
If there is a source of water coming in from the top then you must provide drain and every effort should be made that no moisture can come up from below. Else rust will set in.

Amplified antenna:
That may not be a good idea. RX uses 2 antenna and switches source based on signal strength on the fly. If you add amplification in one path, you add real-time delay. ymmv

Salim
Amplified antenna are spotty at best anyway. As far as the water tight seal, thank you for the info, I had not considered this. The power antenna has a drain hose. However the solid antenna does not need a drain since it will not be going in and out in the rain, I do however have to insure I have sealed it well around the antenna retaining nut. I will give his some attention this weekend. I suspect some flowable silicone will do the trick.
Old 12-30-13, 10:09 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Rubber plug would be ideal, but cork would work too. I would suggest use a cork for couple of months to see if moisture is collecting inside. Some times the remedy makes things worse ,,,, if there is moisture from above and you plug the hole

Salim
Old 12-30-13, 11:21 AM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Rubber plug would be ideal, but cork would work too. I would suggest use a cork for couple of months to see if moisture is collecting inside. Some times the remedy makes things worse ,,,, if there is moisture from above and you plug the hole

Salim

I will use a plug for the drain hole, I am more worried about the antenna nut leaking at this point. However, there is a spot of bad rust on the pass rear fender molding. I notices light showing through it when i did the mod.. So i guess i am getting moisture inside anyway.

I would get it fixed, but we just moved to OH from TX and bought a couple cars just to drive in the winter salt. I don't want our new vehicles rusting, so they stay in the warehouse for the winter. I guess spending money on this RX to fix the rust would be counter-intuitive since I bought it just to drive in the salty rust belt. The ONLY rust spot is the one on the pass rear fender.. i was very surprised when i bought it.
Old 01-02-14, 08:14 PM
aznlapin
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like I might have to play around with my antenna as well. It's starting to get stuck going down, the bottom tube is staying above the nut.
Could be just the random super cold weather we're getting.
Would greasing it a bit help?
Old 01-03-14, 01:00 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with Toy2G's motivation; I, too, hate electric antennas.
Old 01-03-14, 04:44 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I like the look of the stubby Carbon fiber antenna, but I fear that it would get broken off fairly easily.
Old 01-06-14, 11:14 AM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by JAB
I agree with Toy2G's motivation; I, too, hate electric antennas.
Thanks, I was feeling a little alone. Someone even thought i could not afford to get a power antenna so I did this just to save $4... I do Off-Road Trade Shows with Toyota from time to time, and Power antennas have always been problematic.

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
I like the look of the stubby Carbon fiber antenna, but I fear that it would get broken off fairly easily.

I think it looks okay, i wish it were skinnier, but i have been through the car-wash here in Dublin twice with no issues. To be fair, the first time was touch-less...

Quick Reply: Tacoma Antenna Conversion Power delete