RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Remember that nice picture of the 1MZ-FE turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-13, 10:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Remember that nice picture of the 1MZ-FE turbo

This was from Topline of Japan using a1MZ-FE engine (like our RX300's) in the Toyota Estima minivan.

Found this poking round the net.
Attached Thumbnails Remember that nice picture of the 1MZ-FE turbo-img02.jpg  

Last edited by Lexmex; 02-18-13 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-18-13, 10:55 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I was hoping on seeing a picture of it in your RX!!
Old 02-18-13, 11:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hypervish
I was hoping on seeing a picture of it in your RX!!
The price on that kit is way up in the high 4 figures. Even if I did the installation, just getting it from Japan (customs fees) would eat me alone.
Old 02-18-13, 04:00 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The price on that kit is way up in the high 4 figures. Even if I did the installation, just getting it from Japan (customs fees) would eat me alone.
Wow, had no idea it was that expensive.

I've seen turbocharger kits go for as low as $1200 for a Camry 1MZ-FE.
Old 02-19-13, 11:45 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a fun dream. Funny thing is of all the attributes of my RX300, engine power is not one I've ever found lacking. I really enjoy a much more "sporty" drive feel to my ride than the RX provides, but yet engine response is not the place I'd start. Mine still feels quick to respond to the lightest flick of the throttle, ready to go Go GO and sounds nice doing it. Maybe part of it has to do with the modernized transmission's response, but mine is powerful and quick; I wish for better MPG these days and try to remember to tickle to the throttle. Sometimes it's easy to forget.
For my wish list, suspension is where the RX needs tuning to combat it's lazy, sloppy handling manners before there's more power. Stiffer sway bars?! Where can we source those?
Adding a turbo to a 15 year old engine (assuming the engine is rebuilt) would seem to need improvements to the entire driveline also. It's hard to imagine the stock transmission holding up to an added turbo. But let's dream.
Old 02-20-13, 02:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LA4Mead
It's a fun dream. Funny thing is of all the attributes of my RX300, engine power is not one I've ever found lacking. I really enjoy a much more "sporty" drive feel to my ride than the RX provides, but yet engine response is not the place I'd start. Mine still feels quick to respond to the lightest flick of the throttle, ready to go Go GO and sounds nice doing it. Maybe part of it has to do with the modernized transmission's response, but mine is powerful and quick; I wish for better MPG these days and try to remember to tickle to the throttle. Sometimes it's easy to forget.
For my wish list, suspension is where the RX needs tuning to combat it's lazy, sloppy handling manners before there's more power. Stiffer sway bars?! Where can we source those?
Adding a turbo to a 15 year old engine (assuming the engine is rebuilt) would seem to need improvements to the entire driveline also. It's hard to imagine the stock transmission holding up to an added turbo. But let's dream.
I've seen certain sway bars all over ebay, but when I've seen photos of these things it appears the setup is a bit different (non-North American version of the RX/Harrier), and we have some things tat might get in the way like where the charcoal canister is. I thought we had someone from Europe who did this awhile back?

The transmission would definitely have to be beefed up (more than mine is now), to really support a true turbo job.
Old 02-21-13, 01:01 AM
LA4Mead
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'll take sway bars instead of a turbo...

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I've seen certain sway bars all over ebay, but when I've seen photos of these things it appears the setup is a bit different (non-North American version of the RX/Harrier), and we have some things tat might get in the way like where the charcoal canister is. I thought we had someone from Europe who did this awhile back?
I'd be willing to work with relocating the charcoal canister if I had to... but it's odd stiffer sway bars would not reside in the original location. I could see if the stock mounting holes are not strong enough and need some more support.. I wonder if it's worth looking into. I can't do anything right now anyway.

Thanks for the tip!