Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4 Banger in RX450?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-19, 09:46 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 4 Banger in RX450?

The new 2020 Highlander hybrid has 4 cylinder engine making 240hp with 33mpg combined. Since they share the same platform, wonder if the RX will follow suite...
Old 04-24-19, 10:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

In recent years, it has not been uncommon for various Lexus models to have different power train options than their Toyota cousins.

When the ES was based on the Camry platform, the Camry non-hybrid was available with a 4 cylinder engine, but the ES non-hybrid wasn't. Over the course of various generations, the Highlander has been available with a 4 cylinder engine, but the RX hasn't. The 4Runner has been available with a V6, but the GX has only been available with a V8. The RAV4 has come with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder engine, but the NX has had a more powerful 2 liter turbo charged engine. In general, when there have been different engine choices, the Toyota models have had the engines with lower horsepower and higher fuel economy.

In this case, I would be surprised if the RX hybrid got a 4 cylinder engine with only 240 hp. I suspect that Lexus knows that that engine would not be where its market for the RX hybrid is.

Last edited by lesz; 04-24-19 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 10:21 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

If the RX gets any weaker, I'm moving to a different brand. I hope they can realize that Lexus is a luxury brand, RX is their flagship product, and fuel costs are not greatest concern for luxury purchasers.
Old 04-24-19, 10:47 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

If Lexus increased the battery size and the electric motor strengths to compensate for the downsizing to a four-cylinder, then I would find it acceptable.
Old 04-24-19, 02:27 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus already has the RX200t internationally so they could easily continue that platform to a hybrid.
Old 04-25-19, 06:18 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
If the RX gets any weaker, I'm moving to a different brand. I hope they can realize that Lexus is a luxury brand, RX is their flagship product, and fuel costs are not greatest concern for luxury purchasers.
There are lots of vehicles I would have never expected to have 4 cylinder engines but they do, so anything is possible.
Old 04-25-19, 08:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I see the move to the 4 cylinder hybrid drive in the Highlander as a big disappointment. Makes me happy that we got ours when we did. I asked this same question - if this means a 4 cylinder hybrid in the RX's future - in the new Highlander forum. No real answers, but I do think that's what it means. The Highlander Hybrid and the RX hybrid have always used the same powertrain.
Old 04-25-19, 08:59 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I see the 4cylinder hybrid in the new highlander as a differentiator for the RX. I can see the next RX, in another 6 years going by the recent Lexus trend, with the V6 hybrid to justify its premium.
Old 04-25-19, 03:57 PM
devinkato
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope not, I love the NA V6 that Lexus has been evolving. But I'm not ignorant to the fact that EPA #'s are better met with forced induction. Makes me sad.
Old 04-25-19, 04:25 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Isn't the new Highlander's hybrid drivetain based on the same 2.5L NA 4-cyl as the RAV4 and NX? I'm not sure if we'll ever see a force-fed 4 banger + electric motors. Sounds like a logistics nightmare since the turbo typically needs to be kept warm to be efficient.
I wonder if this is Toyota's way of separating the current RX and Highlander for now; since the RX hasn't even had the refresh yet, so the new TNGA-K platform won't make its way to the RX (or NX for that matter) for another 2-3 years at least. Basically, it means the new Highlander with the new platform, but a 4-banger hybrid, vs the older RX platform, but with a V6 hybrid. When the next-gen RX finally lands, who knows if there's even going to be a V6 available anymore. Maybe PHEV, or Lexus might go fully electric at that point.
Old 04-25-19, 04:36 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I see the 4cylinder hybrid in the new highlander as a differentiator for the RX. I can see the next RX, in another 6 years going by the recent Lexus trend, with the V6 hybrid to justify its premium.
FYI, much larger, far more expensive vehicles such as the Mercedes S-class, BMW 7-series and Audi A8 are available in some world markets with four cylinder engines.

I doubt that we will care about how many engine cylinders our next purchased vehicle will have since it will likely have none and be an EV.
Old 04-26-19, 08:27 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't see 4 cylinder being a problem, the much larger xc90 has a (boosted) 4 cylinder as its only option. What I do see is a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder being potentially a problem. Toyota and Lexus has been late and weak on their boost technology, the NX drivetrain to mpg is a joke. Hopefully they have brought it up to where the power , smoothness and efficiency is there. If they get the 4 cylinder right, the mpg gains could be impressive.

Last edited by Nauticalx; 04-26-19 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 01:57 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I don't see 4 cylinder being a problem, the much larger xc90 has a (boosted) 4 cylinder as its only option. What I do see is a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder being potentially a problem. Toyota and Lexus has been late and weak on their boost technology, the NX drivetrain to mpg is a joke. Hopefully they have brought it up to where the power , smoothness and efficiency is there. If they get the 4 cylinder right, the mpg gains could be impressive.
And the reliability/longevity will take a dive and with it the resale value. Lexus is so popular not only for its luxury, but above all fro its reliability/longevity and resale value.
A 4 cyl like the Volvo is under a lot of stress in the turbocharged version and they've added also a supercharger, great performance, but for how long?
In my experience the moment the turbo comes into play the difference between 4cyl & 6cyl isn't very much.
Old 04-26-19, 07:55 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
And the reliability/longevity will take a dive and with it the resale value. Lexus is so popular not only for its luxury, but above all fro its reliability/longevity and resale value.
A 4 cyl like the Volvo is under a lot of stress in the turbocharged version and they've added also a supercharger, great performance, but for how long?
In my experience the moment the turbo comes into play the difference between 4cyl & 6cyl isn't very much.
There is stress but the engines are engineered to handle it. There are plenty of forced induction engines that last well over 100k miles. There are even huge diesel engines pulling heavy loads with turbos on them. The technology has progressed just as it has from lower compression engines to higher. You used to have vehicles in the 80s with huge V8s putting out almost nothing in power. Sadly larger engines are going by the wayside. It used to be that the replacements were underpowered and annoying to drive smoothly. Now they have gotten the technology in line. As long as it's smooth and has good power, I'm all for higher fuel efficiency.
Old 04-26-19, 09:17 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don’t panic! The 2020 GLE 350 has a 2.0 L. 4 cyl. engine making 255 hp. According to various reviews, its acceleration is more than adequate. Remember that engine size is not the whole story. I’m sure Lexus will make sure its offerings are somewhat competitive with the other players.

Quick Reply: 4 Banger in RX450?