RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

problems with windows/locks from driver's door

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 04:06 PM
GregBrown
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with windows/locks from driver's door

hey guys im new on here, my gf has an rx300(99) and there seem to be a few electrical problems with the driver door controls.

1.the first one is the rear passenger window can be rolled down from the driver control but not up, it can be rolled up from the rear passengers door control.

2. the door lock on the rear passenger door doesnt lock when i click the key or press the button on the driver door, if i flip the lock by the handle, it will lock, it also only unlocks this way.

3. the drivers door sometimes does the same lock thing, but intermittently.

while im posting ill add this too
4. the 3rd brake light went out, i changed the bulb twice but no bulb worked. i think theres something wrong with the fuse or wire. other 2 brake lights work fine.

so if you know how to fix any of these please let me know. i can do my own labor, im hoping i dont really need much for parts.

also are any of these known problems?

Last edited by GregBrown; 08-13-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 06:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

As far as number's 2 and 3 go, they both are related to the door lock actuator motor wearing out. That is common with wear and tear, and many folks on here have had that problem. The motor is ridiculousy expensive, so instead most of us here have done something called a piggyback method, this method costs about $5 per door. Search that on this forum, and you will find multiple threads on this topic, and a few DIY's.
Old 08-15-12, 06:17 PM
GregBrown
Driver School Candidate

thanks hyper! i think i found it, this thread is lacking in pictures, this one right?http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...piggyback&st=0

and i dont fully picture it yet, is there anyone with pix on here? this site seems to have far less pictures than what im used to

EDIT: i just saw this, im hoping this works cuz it looks more oem.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html

Last edited by GregBrown; 08-15-12 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 06:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

You're welcome.

Search harder...LOL, there are a ton of threads on it. There is literally one entire picture DIY on the door lock actuator below this thread. hahah

EDIT: I see that you found the thread I was talking about. lol
Old 08-15-12, 08:32 PM
GregBrown
Driver School Candidate

you're the man i ordered 2 of those replacement actuators, i hope i can suprise her with working door locks ill poke around at the window while im in that door too, hopefully i can diagnose it, the motor is good but idk why it doesn't work from the drivers but it works from the pass rear door. my only thought is somehow the up wire is broken for the driver door switch.

before i rant too much, why would her car keep throwing a CEL? theres nothing wrong with it, ive had it checked and cleared once before at autozone, it was a fuel cap one i believe, is there a fix for that? ill search around too but you seem to know of alot of common problems with the car
Old 08-16-12, 07:08 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

To be able to properly diagnose the CEL, we need the actual code. Without that we are shooting in the dark, no sense in that. Post up the code here and hopefully someone here will know the answer.

I'd suggest sending Lexmex a PM, he's pretty good at diagnosing window problems, and much more he's a genius. I don't think he's seen this thread yet, which is likely why he hasn't posted on it yet.

But, If I were you I would start by cleaning the contacts in the master driver's side window control. Or, if you know someone else with a first gen RX, borrow their master driver's side window control plug that in to your car and see if it can control the window properly.
Old 08-17-12, 06:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The contacts usually are the issue there. The only other thing that I've seen personally is a weak battery, even after cleaning the contacts.
Old 08-19-12, 07:02 AM
GregBrown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
The contacts usually are the issue there. The only other thing that I've seen personally is a weak battery, even after cleaning the contacts.
so just open up the controls and clean with rubbing alcohol or something?
Old 08-20-12, 02:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by GregBrown
so just open up the controls and clean with rubbing alcohol or something?
I've used electrical contact cleaner. CRC makes the one I use, but there are many out there.
Old 08-20-12, 09:48 AM
GregBrown
Driver School Candidate

ill give it a shot, car gets outa the shop weds, gonna try and get all these little things taken care of before the 28th, gf is out of town till then so i have time to fix everything without her bein like AHH MY DOORS MISSING! she doesnt like when i start takin panels out and stuff.